Ahmad Bradshaw interested in Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ahmad Bradshaw interested in Dolphins

(This was written April 15, 2010... so this was written about hte 2009-2010 season)
Last season, Bradshaw developed a crack in the fifth metatarsal bone of each foot, which posed the risk of fracturing all the way through and ending his season. He had offseason surgery to put a screw in each foot, as well as to remove irritating bone spurs from his right ankle, a total of three surgeries.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/04/ahmad_bradshaw_running_again_a.html

This is what i found hoops. In 2009, He cracked the bone in one foot, and then months later developed the EXACT same injury on the other foot.

Had a trio of surgeries to correct it, and then i distinctly remember in training camp last year (after months and months after the surgery), him still having serious issues and not being able to practice and possibly missing games. He did however put up his best year, and a stellar one at that, but the foot problems and stress fractures occurred when his work load was minimal.... how sound of an investment could he be if these are issues he's having when his mileage is just starting.

It seems the verbage i used was a bit excessive, "lingering injuries that can't be fixed by surgeries" because it is possible that more surgeries could fix it. But its also possible he's had previous surgeries and i just cant find them.

But either way, that scares the bejeesus out of me.

I also can't seem to find any notion of him needing more surgery or having plans to (or secretly having some already a-la TO's ACL tear). But it would only be sensible since he is trying to cash in big time as a free agent to keep that all hush-hush or wait until after he signs the contract to go ahead and fix it.

Purely speculation on my part of course, but you never know.

(This was written April 15, 2010... so this was written about hte 2009-2010 season)

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/04/ahmad_bradshaw_running_again_a.html

This is what i found hoops. In 2009, He cracked the bone in one foot, and then months later developed the EXACT same injury on the other foot.

Had a trio of surgeries to correct it, and then i distinctly remember in training camp last year (after months and months after the surgery), him still having serious issues and not being able to practice and possibly missing games. He did however put up his best year, and a stellar one at that, but the foot problems and stress fractures occurred when his work load was minimal.... how sound of an investment could he be if these are issues he's having when his mileage is just starting.

It seems the verbage i used was a bit excessive, "lingering injuries that can't be fixed by surgeries" because it is possible that more surgeries could fix it. But its also possible he's had previous surgeries and i just cant find them.

But either way, that scares the bejeesus out of me.

interesting...that sounds like lis franc jus waiting to happen...if i recall correctly deangelo williams was lost in 2010 due to lis franc surgery on his foot...wow...thats upping the anty on the risk factor

you would think though and i stress the word think that the physical they get from whatver club that they're gonna join would clear them medically or make the contract void...and you would think whoever does sign thems doctors are gonna fine tooth comb the prior medical history during the evaluation

If these injuries are available to us the entire league is well aware of the situation. This will cost him money and potential suitors. Hopefully if he is a potential option here our medical staff will make the right call either way it goes. If we say not to go after him and he ends up going relatively cheap elsewhere and is succesful mark up another flop for the south beach medical crew. And if he signs here and this is a issue shame on us.

i have a hard time seeing bradshaw get $20 million in free agency given this medical news...before i thought it was a virtual lock he would...now i wonder if he'll get half that

He would be a great complement to Thomas. I say bring him in.

Love the projection here like Thomas is already a top notch RB before ever stepping on the field (nfl).

Seems like the longer we go with out playing the better our team and players look (Henne)

GM said early we'd be aggressive in free agency and as time goes on we seem to be mellower and mellower and more positive and excepting of the crap we had last year...............

Looking forward to seeing if the organization will follow through with that agressive aproach or it was just talk all along..don't really trust anymore......

i have a hard time seeing bradshaw get $20 million in free agency given this medical news...before i thought it was a virtual lock he would...now i wonder if he'll get half that

I just don't like the idea of signing an expensive high end running back to begin with. You don't get as much value signing a guy who's shelf life is almost guaranteed to be half over already, and for the money, I would much rather find some guy off the street or one of the undrafted free agents from this years draft for a fraction of the price and more available years.

I just don't like the idea of signing an expensive high end running back to begin with. You don't get as much value signing a guy who's shelf life is almost guaranteed to be half over already, and for the money, I would much rather find some guy off the street or one of the undrafted free agents from this years draft for a fraction of the price and more available years.

that's exactly how you end up constantly looking for talent at the position in the first place...by placing little emphasis on it...i agree money on a rb is a dicey proposition but these guys are productive nfl players...high end guys...the health risks are there no doubt but you have to be smart with the contract...give yourself an out later in the deal when the level of play is likely to fall off...put as much money in the up front bonus as you can and a low salary that escalates every year and by year 4 you can cut the guy usually without taking a massive cap hit...just be smart about it...if the medical doesn't fly stay away...its that easy...rbs are gonna get hurt anyways...its just a part of playin the position and taking that much contact...comes with the territory...although there definitely reaches a point where the risks outweighs the reward in that regard

one things for sure...these guys are difference makers...they make plays...i've seen enough run of the mill running backs like lex hilliard etc...we need a difference maker...and i don't see it on the udfa list and definitely not on these washed up street fossil free agents

that's exactly how you end up constantly looking for talent at the position in the first place...by placing little emphasis on it...i agree money on a rb is a dicey proposition but these guys are productive nfl players...high end guys...the health risks are there no doubt but you have to be smart with the contract...give yourself an out later in the deal when the level of play is likely to fall off...put as much money in the up front bonus as you can and a low salary that escalates every year and by year 4 you can cut the guy usually without taking a massive cap hit...just be smart about it...if the medical doesn't fly stay away...its that easy...rbs are gonna get hurt anyways...its just a part of playin the position and taking that much contact...comes with the territory...although there definitely reaches a point where the risks outweighs the reward in that regard

one things for sure...these guys are difference makers...they make plays...i've seen enough run of the mill running backs like lex hilliard etc...we need a difference maker...and i don't see it on the udfa list and definitely not on these washed up street fossil free agents

I haven't dug into the UDFA list since the draft, but i'm just from the school of thought about A. usually not drafting a RB with a top pick (i know how you feel about ingram) and B. history shows that mid round drafted running backs and undrafted guys find their way to being good runningbacks.

I'm not saying that who we pick up is going to be on the same level as Adrian Peterson, but whats the true upside of signing Bradshaw or Deangelo? we aren't signing them to be top 5 or even top ten. We are signing them to be part of a committee.

So for the role we are looking to fill for them, you go find someone with half the wear and tear, a fraction of the price, and spend that money else where.

Ideally, we hand the reins to Daniel Thomas who follows the 3rd round mold of Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Maurice Jones Drew. ..... hopefully.

keep in mind though when you see contract #'s like 5 years and $20 mil for these change of pace/combo backs in free agency they're likely not gonna see all that money unless you put together a bad contract or they contniue to produce at a high level...the guaranteed money is what you got to worry about cap risk wise pretty much...

if i can get an ahmad bradshaw for $8 mil guaranteed on a 5 year $20 mil deal assuming his medical goes off without a hitch thats a pretty damn good investment...

I think you might be overthinking it. Players develop medical problems. You can't find me a player that's been in the league four years that doesn't have some lingering medical problem that will never be pain-free. Removing bone spurs from an ankle isn't even relevant to the discussion, IMO. It's a nothing surgery, elective. I believe they did it just because they could, as he was already in recovery for the pins he had put in his metatarsals. Sort of like if you're replacing a head gasket in your engine you might as well replace the timing belt and the water pump while the mechanic has half the engine taken apart anyway, because the additional cost is minimal and if one of them goes then they have to take half the engine apart again and the cost won't be so minimal.

The pins are there to stabilize a problem. To my knowledge, it's stabilized. Will he have pain? Yeah. But look at the guy's history. He played 15 games in 2008, 15 games in 2009, and 16 games in 2010 despite being fresh off the pin surgery and despite "reports" of him having issues in camp (we've seen those kinds of "reports" before, he put paid to them by playing 16 games). I believe the games he missed in 2007 might have been suspension-related not injury-related. He plays through pain, he deals with problems and still puts himself on the football field. That's an important quality to have, at least as important as a totally clean injury history on a 4 year veteran tailback which you're not going to find pretty much ever.

He's only had one year of carrying the load and that was last year. It's not like he carried the load once and then was never the same again. We don't know of any medical problems he's got going on this off season. He doesn't have a whole lot of tread on the tires. I think Ahmad Bradshaw is the kind of player that is poised to become a breakout player, if he's not already.

If I were the Dolphins I'd be more concerned investigating his character history than his injury history. You don't want him to become a different person when he gets money.

Last edited by a moderator:
keep in mind though when you see contract #'s like 5 years and $20 mil for these change of pace/combo backs in free agency they're likely not gonna see all that money unless you put together a bad contract or they contniue to produce at a high level...the guaranteed money is what you got to worry about cap risk wise pretty much...

I feel ya,

I know we have about 12 Million in cap space right now. but dont know if the rookies hvae been factored into that.
And on the to-do list is to restructure Cam Wake's deal i think.
But if it were me, im seriously looking into creating some big space to make a run at either of the Falcons FA guards or even cutting Carey and making a run at Yanda to replace him.

I think you might be overthinking it. Players develop medical problems. You can't find me a player that's been in the league four years that doesn't have some lingering medical problem that will never be pain-free. Removing bone spurs from an ankle isn't even relevant to the discussion, IMO. It's a nothing surgery, elective. I believe they did it just because they could, as he was already in recovery for the pins he had put in his metatarsals. Sort of like if you're replacing a head gasket in your engine you might as well replace the timing belt and the water pump while the mechanic has half the engine taken apart anyway, because the additional cost is minimal and if one of them goes then they have to take half the engine apart again and the cost won't be so minimal.

The pins are there to stabilize a problem. To my knowledge, it's stabilized. Will he have pain? Yeah. But look at the guy's history. He played 15 games in 2008, 15 games in 2009, and 16 games in 2010 despite being fresh off the pin surgery and despite "reports" of him having issues in camp (we've seen those kinds of "reports" before, he put paid to them by playing 16 games). I believe the games he missed in 2007 might have been suspension-related not injury-related. He plays through pain, he deals with problems and still puts himself on the football field. That's an important quality to have, at least as important as a totally clean injury history on a 4 year veteran tailback which you're not going to find pretty much ever.

He's only had one year of carrying the load and that was last year. It's not like he carried the load once and then was never the same again. We don't know of any medical problems he's got going on this off season. He doesn't have a whole lot of tread on the tires. I think Ahmad Bradshaw is the kind of player that is poised to become a breakout player, if he's not already.

If I were the Dolphins I'd be more concerned investigating his character history than his injury history. You don't want him to become a different person when he gets money.

yeah...i think you're right...and on the off field stuff didn't ahmad do like 60 days in jail on an assault or something just last offseason???

I haven't dug into the UDFA list since the draft, but i'm just from the school of thought about A. usually not drafting a RB with a top pick (i know how you feel about ingram) and B. history shows that mid round drafted running backs and undrafted guys find their way to being good runningbacks.

I'm not saying that who we pick up is going to be on the same level as Adrian Peterson, but whats the true upside of signing Bradshaw or Deangelo? we aren't signing them to be top 5 or even top ten. We are signing them to be part of a committee.

So for the role we are looking to fill for them, you go find someone with half the wear and tear, a fraction of the price, and spend that money else where.

Ideally, we hand the reins to Daniel Thomas who follows the 3rd round mold of Ray Rice, Frank Gore, Maurice Jones Drew. ..... hopefully.

i wish i could see that in the cards but i don't with daniel thomas

yeah...i think you're right...and on the off field stuff didn't ahmad do like 60 days in jail on an assault or something just last offseason???

I forget what it was, there was some kind of suspended sentence where he had to serve time for something he did a long time ago or something like that, even before he got into the NFL.

But yeah that would be my concern, what "strike" is he on with Roger Goodell and how likely do you feel he'll be to screw up again, and also does he have bad character to where the pain he played through and the stuff he went through on his rookie contract, he won't go through that stuff on a veteran contract.

Back
Top Bottom