AJ McCarron set to become unrestricted free agent | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AJ McCarron set to become unrestricted free agent

Travis34

chea
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Discuss.

Worthy of a backup qb spot? Does he want a shot to start? Would lessen the need of taking a qb super early as some want us to do

While I'm an admitted Bama hater, there's something about McCarron's game I've always liked. I was hoping the Dolphins might draft him when he came out. I think the kid could be a good starting QB if given the opportunity. I guess we're about to find out if that's true or not pretty soon.

Worth a shot for the right money. Something we can afford. But a drafted QB in 2nd round be far much cheaper

He wants to play as a starter and he probably wants to be paid big $, correction - very big $. We know that AJ went within an inch of being traded to Cleveland last mid-season for a 2nd round pick and it would have been to play as a starting QB. I don't think he's anywhere near as talented as Jimmy Garoppolo but he probably sees himself in the same boat as a proven good backup who has never screwed up and waited for many years and not been given the opportunity to replace the Red Rifle in Cincinnati.
While I support moving on from Matt Moore as our backup QB and finding someone else, I think that bringing in AJ may be expensive and create a QB controversy that we don't need (and it would be premature to give up on Ryan Tannehill as our QB). #17 understands Gase's system and was progressing well before his injury and I expect that he will come back from his surgery with something to prove. He will be hungry. Competition is good but AJ would probably only want to sign to be a starter and he'd be expecting $12M+ (which is more than we paid Cutler) compared to the $2.5M or thereabouts that we have been paying Matt Moore - who is now a free agent.
I guess that it depends on the demand for AJ's services. If there are teams wanting his signature to be the starter, then he will be well paid. However, if teams are only offering him mid backup money, then that's all they see him as - ie backup insurance. In a way this is a bit like how the Chicago Bears signed Mike Glennon from Tampa last season and also drafted Mitchell Trubisky. Glennon (6'6" with the biggest neck in the NFL) was a long time solid backup and signed a 3 year $45M contract with $18.5M guaranteed. However, it's near certain that he will be cut this year because he looked underwhelming when given the start and not up to it, got replaced and he's definitely not worth the $15M a year. The Bears overpaid but they had a bet each way by drafting a QB and recruiting an experienced backup as a transition. Glennon will also be considered as a possible backup by Miami but probably for just $3 - 4M a year but the Chicago stint has shown his limitations.
I doubt that we've got the cap space to pay both Tannehill ($19M) and AJ McCarron both starting QB money.

Last edited:
Many people thought Packer’s QB Matt Flynn was going to be the next great QB, based on a limited amount of games where he just got hot at the right time. So some team will likely now overpay for McCarron’s services and truely regret it. I don’t think he’s Jimmy GQ, or anything more than a decent backup.

I watched McCarron when he had extensive playing time with the Bengals. I'm not sure what these teams are seeing. At best, I see Josh McNown with slower feet and a lesser arm.

Anyway, he wants to be a starter. It's his whole reason for filing the grievance with the league. Now the Bengals have lost all trade leverage.

Anyone who things McCarron filed that grievance (and won) to sit on the bench again is mad. He's going somewhere to start, and will make a lot of money doing so. My guess is a similar deal to the one Osweiller got.

McCarron mentioned 3 times that it wasn't about the money that he just wants to play football.....yeah right. He wants to start and get paid handsomely IMO and he should. If the Dolphins offered him a fair shot at the starting position and paid him accordingly this might be a possibility, in other words.......this ain't happening.

Mike Glennon got stupid money, so AJ probably will get a lot of money too.

I watched McCarron when he had extensive playing time with the Bengals. I'm not sure what these teams are seeing. At best, I see Josh McNown with slower feet and a lesser arm.

Anyway, he wants to be a starter. It's his whole reason for filing the grievance with the league. Now the Bengals have lost all trade leverage.

Yeah, I don’t see this guy as a starter anywhere.

Yeah, even though i started this year thread, i agree with some of you guys. He wants to a shot to start. I don’t think he is ever going to be a top qb, but maybe one day he just accepts his backup role. He could maybe pull a Nick Foles some day.

But of all the qb needy teams- will here be enough to go around that someone won’t be desperate enough to overpay him?

Cousins, Bradford/Bridgewater/Keenum

Rosen, Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson even

Probably forgetting a couple other ‘top’ guys but there’s a lot to go around this year

Mike Glennon price should be on the decline (buy low).

He wants to play as a starter and he probably wants to be paid big $, correction - very big $. We know that AJ went within an inch of being traded to Cleveland last mid-season for a 2nd round pick and it would have been to play as a starting QB. I don't think he's anywhere near as talented as Jimmy Garoppolo but he probably sees himself in the same boat as a proven good backup who has never screwed up and waited for many years and not been given the opportunity to replace the Red Rifle in Cincinnati.
While I support moving on from Matt Moore as our backup QB and finding someone else, I think that bringing in AJ may be expensive and create a QB controversy that we don't need (and it would be premature to give up on Ryan Tannehill as our QB). #17 understands Gase's system and was progressing well before his injury and I expect that he will come back from his surgery with something to prove. He will be hungry. Competition is good but AJ would probably only want to sign to be a starter and he'd be expecting $12M+ (which is more than we paid Cutler) compared to the $2.5M or thereabouts that we have been paying Matt Moore - who is now a free agent.
I guess that it depends on the demand for AJ's services. If there are teams wanting his signature to be the starter, then he will be well paid. However, if teams are only offering him mid backup money, then that's all they see him as - ie backup insurance. In a way this is a bit like how the Chicago Bears signed Mike Glennon from Tampa last season and also drafted Mitchell Trubisky. Glennon (6'6" with the biggest neck in the NFL) was a long time solid backup and signed a 3 year $45M contract with $18.5M guaranteed. However, it's near certain that he will be cut this year because he looked underwhelming when given the start and not up to it, got replaced and he's definitely not worth the $15M a year. The Bears overpaid but they had a bet each way by drafting a QB and recruiting an experienced backup as a transition. Glennon will also be considered as a possible backup by Miami but probably for just $3 - 4M a year but the Chicago stint has shown his limitations.
I doubt that we've got the cap space to pay both Tannehill ($19M) and AJ McCarron both starting QB money.
I like the analysis here but IMO Mike Glennon sucks and have no idea how he got that kind of money.

Back
Top Bottom