Ajayi Trade this Year's Thomas Cut? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ajayi Trade this Year's Thomas Cut?

Without a doubt. But when you gotta pitch shutouts to TIE, there's something wrong. I just hope Gase knows what he's doing.
Oh, no doubt. He needs to do something to fix this offense.

Maybe Drake has been amazing at practice and Gase feels that there will be no drop off. That would be really good if it turned out that way in games. Maybe Gase spoke to Saban and yada yada....

Maybe Drake has been amazing at practice and Gase feels that there will be no drop off. That would be really good if it turned out that way in games. Maybe Gase spoke to Saban and yada yada....

After reading about Jay's primadonna attitude, maybe this trade is the signal this team needs to fall in line much like cutting Dallas Thomas was last year?

I sure hope so.

I think it does send a message that no player is untouchable on this team. There's a guy that rushed for over a 1,200 yards last season and had three games with over 200 rushing yards (only OJ, Tiki Barber, and Earl Campbell have done that in a single season). Ok this season his production was down but he was still given the ball and had a featured role on this offense. So it does say to the players on the roster that if you don't get with the program and have a bad attitude, then you will be gone - Pouncey said as much to the Herald - but Gase does need to be careful because you can't keep sacrificing talented players to boost your own ego and Chip Kelly found that out in Philly.

The only issue I have with this approach is that you can't always expect every player to not air their frustrations. Ajayi was unhappy with the lack of carries and made it clear, so what? The guy is a competitor and a player maker so obviously he wants the ball in his hands because he believes he can make a big play to help us win football games. What does Gase want from his players, does he want them to say "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir", then take a seat on the bench? I understand totally that it is Gase's job to make these decisions, and sometimes he is going to call someone else's name, and the players need to accept that. However, I don't think Gase should be ostracising someone that wants the ball or demands to get more snaps. At the end of the day he should be happy that players want the ball, and when you have a play maker like Ajayi, it is Gase's job to find a way to use him successfully and this season he hasn't. For me, I think the last thing Gase should want is a bunch of people that go "yes sir", take a seat, and say nothing. There is a time to chide someone when they have a hissy fit on the sideline, and there is a time to chide people when they complain when a team is winning (e.g. Sammy Watkins questioning his role on the Rams), but you don't boot them out the door for that because that shows you can't handle your players. Part of Gase's job is to be able to handle his players and if his answer is to show them the door because he can't get them on side, then his time as a head coach might not last very long or be very successful as Joe Philbin found out.

Now I appreciate there are other reasons why Gase decided to move on from Ajayi, and to be honest I would probably have been frustrated with the guy as well, but Gase does need to learn from this experience and grow as a coach to ensure that it doesn't happen to another really talented player further down the line. It is great to say we can do things the Patriot way, let people go and replace them and not miss a beat, but not many teams can copy that approach and make it work long term. Most teams need to find a way to work with their troublesome players and get the most out of them, and if Gase is to be successful with us long term he is going to need to learn how to do that, otherwise he's going to have to hope this team can mirror the Patriots approach long term (and if they can't he'll be out of a job).

I'm just saying, when it comes to player conduct issues, the team has actually been great about keeping this under wraps a lot of the time. There are other things I can think of right off the top of my head, that I don't know if I should post, that you aren't going to see articles about in the Herald.

C'mon man. Gotta spill the beans on this! LOL

Well the story about him walking off the field vs the Jets in a huff because he wasn't getting enough carries during our 4th quarter comeback is on the record. The other stuff is not.

Let me just put it to you this way: If a player's response to coaching when he gets his assignment wrong is to say "What are you gonna do about it? Cut me?" then I am NEVER going to blame the coach or front office for that player being off the team a short while later.

Wow...this really happened? Didn't realize it was THAT bad.

Wow...this really happened? Didn't realize it was THAT bad.

The story about the Jets game is legit. Was reported by a national media guy, not leaked by the team.

The other thing is not exactly what happened. But that is something designed to illustrate how bad the situation had become.

Based on what Suh said today during his PC, I'd say he's 100% with Gase.
Not that I’m a fan of Pouncey but he said as much also. Message has been sent and if Landry is another that’s not on board, hopefully he received it.

The story about the Jets game is legit. Was reported by a national media guy, not leaked by the team.

The other thing is not exactly what happened. But that is something designed to illustrate how bad the situation had become.
How you getting all this information JD?

Not that I’m a fan of Pouncey but he said as much also. Message has been sent and if Landry is another that’s not on board, hopefully he received it.

Agreed, hopefully this move has given those players that needed an incentive, the incentive they needed to get with the program. I just hope that Gase isn’t going all Chip Kelly on us.

This is what I don't understand.....if Ajayi had an attitude problem and his and the team's play was effected because of it, why were Williams and Drake still not getting touches?

Just seems like to me that there is something in between an either/or situation of a guy being the only guy running the ball and the guy getting cut. Assuming Ajayi's attitude sucked, what exactly did Gase do to change that attitude? Because it certainly wasn't cutting his playing time, which would seem to be the first step.

If that is the case, then it would be criminal to think we had a running back lighting it up in practice that wasn't seeing the field for the worst offense in the league. I hope Drake does well, but if he does then I think that is an indictment against Gase not trying him earlier.

Back
Top Bottom