Ajayi who????

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CA Dolfan, Dec 3, 2017.

1. CA Dolfan

CA Dolfan Dolphin fan since '72 Finheaven VIP

Look I got nothing against Ajayi but I think with an improved line Kenyan Drake can take us places

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  2. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I think you need to run Drake in a two back tandem with a power back, but at this point he's at 499 yards on his first 98 career carries. That's not bad at all. If he can maintain that pace on 150+ carries in a single season that would be something. With 4 games remaining I think he could see another 70-75 carries this season if he stays healthy. Will be interesting to see how hie looks against the Patriots, Bills and Chiefs.

dolpns13, Ray R and CA Dolfan like this.
  3. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

This place is great after a win.

4. CA Dolfan

CA Dolfan Dolphin fan since '72 Finheaven VIP

Good point. It will be interesting since the Pats may have a better defense than the Broncos

Ray R likes this.
  5. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

He did some good stuff, but I'd take Ajayi over him all day every day.

gunn34 likes this.
  6. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

It justifies what I have always believed. Running backs are a dime a dozen. I really liked Ajayi, but there is hardly any difference in the offense whatsoever. Just like when many people were up in arms when the Dolphins let Miller go. It was the right decision, because paying running backs big money, especially Miller, just doesn't make sense. It's nice to have an elite running back, but it is just not a necessity to be a successful offense. Look at what New England has done with that position over the years.

Ray R and retarmyfinfan2 like this.
  7. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Not sure about this thread but does Philly value Blount more? I would have thought Jay was the better player, am I wrong? Seems like Blount gets a lot more carries.

Ray R likes this.
  8. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Blount dominates touches. Ajayi won't be happy for long when that continues

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  9. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

blounts a free agent at the end of the season, ajayi will get his touches next year

Ray R and Jay131866 like this.
  10. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

ANUFan likes this.
  11. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I 'd be more comfortable with Drake if he'd go a few games without fumbling.

JakeemThe Dream and Ray R like this.
  12. 1Dolfan

1Dolfan Starter

I also want to see more of Perry he had a very good Preseason

13. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

For what it's worth Drake has fumbled twice on his first 100 carries (officially 98) and Ajayi had one. Sure we want to see zero fumbles, but it's not like he's that much worse than Ajayi was at this point. Drake also has more rushing yards and higher averaqge than Ajayi did in his first 100 attempts. Not saying Drake is the better back, but if used correctly he can be productive. Not a pounder/grinder but he can make plays too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  14. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

15. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Like Ajayi? Lol!

16. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I need to see more from Drake before I start calling him an answer at runningback. I do see him as a much better fit for how Gase wants to run the offense though. He can be a threat out of the backfield as well as a runner, this offense demands versatile players and Drake is that. Ajayi had a good year last year, he was decisive and was a 1 cut runner. This year he was doing more dancing than anything, he wasn't as decisive with his cuts and he wasn't good as a pass blocker and receiver. His skill set limited his effectiveness in the offense Gase wanted to run so Gase changed the offense for him last season and it worked.

I still think he can be effective in the right offense when he has his mind right but things clearly weren't working here and it was pretty obvious on the field. I want to see how things look the next few weeks to verify that there can be consistency to his game as that was by far my biggest complaint against Jay. He either had huge games or nothing, we had far to many 2nd and 3rd and longs this year due to Ajayi getting tackled in the backfield.

Ray R likes this.
  17. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I wasn’t big on Ajayi. He fumbled too much too

18. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Drake had a good game. Still think the Dolphins need another strong RB to pair with him. Not really impressed with any of the other RBs on the roster.

19. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

My guess is you love bruising backs. I love them too, but they limit the offense and their time as a feature back is over. I am very happy with Drake. Besides missing seeing defensive players run over, I do not miss Ajayi. Drake over Ajayi every time.

Ray R likes this.
  20. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Ajayi blew another blitz pick up and Wenz let him no about it last night too, after he got hammered on a corner blitz!

21. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I think we're learning that Ajayi is a good back that we hate to lose but he's an *******. We'll see how it plays out.

22. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

To the original post.....ANYONE can take us someplace with an improved line.

CA Dolfan likes this.
  23. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Ajayi hurt the eagles last night for sure, mostly on passing plays. Wentz and Ajayi arent meshing. They'd be better off sticking with blount and clement.

I think its unlikely philly pays him unless he does something special for them in the postseason.

as it pertains to drake, the kid has undeniable talent.

24. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

Drake is a better overall back than Ajayi. Ajayi has no hands, the trade was a good one

25. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Hobo Looks on in Confusion as Juice Scores Again Finheaven VIP Donator

Ajayi is a damn good runner. If he gets his head on right, Philly will be very happy with that trade.

Unfortunately him and the Eagles, it seems he still hasn't figured that out.

26. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Philly got screwed by trying to be too aggressive, as usual. They needed that 4th and also the 3rd they gave up for Darby more than the players, but this is their year to win it all lol. They better enjoy being "the best team in the NFL" while it lasts, because like last night, they will continue to get exposed for the mediocre team that they are against competent organizations. And with Roseman giving away so many draft picks, that team is going to have no depth because they have invested so much cash into the starters they have little to no cap space left for role players like Beau Allen and Trey Burton, and they have less picks for cheap depth. They better win it this year, because if they don't I can see dream team 2.0 falling apart just as quick as the original.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  27. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Dude.......This is so true. Ajayi is not having the kind of year I thought he would have had being on that team, that trade is looking better and better every week. On a side note: The Eagles are so overrated, the only decent team they have beaten this season is the panthers, kind of reminds me of the Dolphins last year.

Ray R and TannDaMan17 like this.
  28. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I think the most surprising thing about Drake has been how tough he is. I think the impression on him was that he was some kind of soft RB who only can be effective in space.

Lies.

Dude showed some physicality yesterday, he broke tackles and he blocked well in pass protection. Now I get he has those skinny limbs on him and that size runner without the true girth normally has history with injuries in this league . . . and Drake has had his share . . . . but make no mistake . . . that is a TALENTED kid at RB and if he can stay healthy he can be one of the best backs in this league.

I was always good with the Ajayi trade. A homerun would of been a late 3rd to a contender . . . but I even said at the time that a 4th rounder was probably above market value if we are being honest. Guy has a longterm knee issue . . . Phily will only get a year and a half out of him before he needs to get paid (and who knows what kind of hold out he may do to you next offseason while under contract) and he certainly has some attitude/personality issues that can turn a team off.

Plus RBs in general are a dime a dozen. You certainly have the absolute special ones but for the most part you in theory should be able to take that 4th and flip it for a solid back in the draft that you'll have cheap for 4 years.

We did well there.

ANUFan and Ray R like this.
  29. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

I agree, people only think they are great because they are a very popular team that gets a bunch of media attention, and they have a great record against bad teams, like Dallas last year. But like Dallas last year, your record means nothing in the playoffs, and Philly imo isn't good enough to win it all. But like with Nick Foles and Chip Jelly, the Eagles get a ton of hype when they are having any kind of success, I'm just used to it by now but I know they are never as great as they think they are. Howie Roseman their superstar GM has been the GM since like 2010 and they haven't won a playoff game since then. Coincidence? I think not, but dream teams sure are exciting though. Unfortunately for Roseman, great teams build through the draft, and that has never been his strong suit which is probably why he likes trading away so many draft picks lol.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  30. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I dunno man . . . I think you are underestimating them by quite a margin.

Carson Wentz is absolutely LEGIT . . . and when you have a LEGIT QB . . . it is hard to be "so overrated".

Philly was in that game last night . . . they just made some dumb mistakes in probably the toughest place to play in the NFL with the bright lights on. Better now than in January.

They were missing Ertz for most of that game and Peters is out for the year. That defense is as loaded in the front 7 as you get. That OLine and Running game is top level. Their receivers are solid.

Where they can be had is in the secondary . . . if a teams offensive line can hold up enough against their front but even still I think they are the best team in the NFC mainly because of Seattle's injuries on defense and Aaron Rodgers injury.

We'll learn more next week when they get the Rams.

ANUFan, CA Dolfan and Ray R like this.
  31. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I liked Ajayi because he almost never went down on first contact and always seemed to fall forward when tackled. Drake goes down too easily for my liking, arm tackles bring him down whereas Ajayi ran through those like it was nothing. Don't get me wrong though I am 100% behind Drake and hope he becomes a force for us.

32. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

What we lost by dealing Ajayi - getting 5-6 yards when most other RB's only get 2 (or getting 2 when they get stopped at the line). Drake doesn't have that. What we gained? After hitting the secondary, going to the house. Ajayi doesn't take that ball the distance yesterday he gets tracked down way earlier. Get a battering ram in the offseason, and you should be improved at the position. Totally different RB's, both have their strengths' and weaknesses, but both appear to be very good NFL players. Drake still has more to prove but I like what I've seen.

Ray R likes this.
  33. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

If Drake can stay healthy then the Ajayi trade is more doable if not its a terrible decision. Drake has been a injury prone player so the odds are not in Drakes court. Glad we won, with specials, defense and Drake yesterday also.

34. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

You wrote a good summary, but you left out the following pros for Drake and cons for Ajayi:

- Signifcant improvement with pass protection from RB
    - Significant increase for executing the play (less freelancing)
    - Decreased predictability of offensive play calls

JakeemThe Dream and Dolphindrew like this.
  35. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

Yes, I forgot to mention pass-catching ability (points to your final statement). I wasn't aware he was better with pass protection but I know Williams is. Thanks for the additions!

36. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Fair enough, you make some good points, but Philly always seems to lack that "it" factor year after year. My problem is who they have beaten not necessarily their winning record, when they get to teams with a winning record they seem to fold. One thing I will agree with you whole heartedly though is.........A top notch QB makes all the difference in the world to an NFL team..........Philly is living proof of that.

37. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

Damn right!!! And we're living proof of it as well lol Thanks Jay

38. JakeemThe Dream

Drake is a keeper IMO. I think he's a lot stronger than most give him credit for. He's versatile as hell. It's hard to argue a 5 ypc guy who can break tackles, catch, block, and has great acceleration. With another back to pair with, this guy can be a Dolphin for awhile. At 6'1" 220 lbs this guy has the size and all the tools. Just hold onto the ball and the name Ajayi will be old news sooner than later.

39. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

He has been on the team for a few weeks, and has to learn the offense. This isn’t baseball where it’s plug and play. These guys have to learn a whole new language. Jay struggled knowing the offense when he had training camp with us.

40. JakeemThe Dream

I really liked Ajayi and as a pure runner he's awesome. As an all around back, Drake is better for sure. I really like what we have in Drake. Cut out the fumbling and we're all good.