Alabama Opens at #1 in Coaches' Poll | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alabama Opens at #1 in Coaches' Poll

CedarPhin

King of the Moondoggers
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/06/1764131/alabama-is-no-1-in-usa-todays.html

TYSONS CORNER, Va. -- Defending national champion Alabama is No. 1 atop the USA Today preseason coaches' poll.
Boise State will begin the season ranked No. 5. The Broncos, like Alabama, finished last season 14-0. They beat TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.

The Crimson Tide got 55 of 59 possible first place votes. The other four went to Ohio State, which is No. 2 in the newspaper's ranking.

Florida is third, followed by Texas, which lost to Alabama in the BCS title game in January.
Virginia Tech was sixth, followed by TCU, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Iowa to round out the top 10.

Nos. 11-15 are Oregon, Wisconsin, Miami, Penn State and Pittsburgh. They were followed by LSU, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Arkansas and Florida State, which will be without Bobby Bowden as coach for the first time in 35 years.

Georgia is No. 21, Oregon State No. 22, Auburn No. 23 and Utah and West Virginia tied for No. 24.
The coaches' poll is part of the BCS formula used to determine its national champion.

Thoughts?

We got the talent...the schedule is a little rough...but we'll see how our young secondary
develops,plus we'll also have that bullseye on us to start with.
We could easily go back to back,or just as easily slip up and lose a game or two.
It will be hard to go three years in a row undefeated in the SEC regular season.
I'm ready....

I would have rather started the year off at #3 or #4...but I'm not complaining to much.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course they are, and should be. team is stacked. not happy about it.

Defending champ should always be #1 until someone knocks them off.

of course they are, and should be. team is stacked. not happy about it.
I feel the same way, but man, I like watching Ingram play. He's a hard man to root against. And his Heisman acceptance is what football is all about.

I feel the same way, but man, I like watching Ingram play. He's a hard man to root against. And his Heisman acceptance is what football is all about.

oh i do too. to put up those kinds of numbers in the SEC is damn impressive. kid's a class act - no hate for him whatsoever.

i'm just not happy about how good they are because the gators will have to get past them for a title shot. didn't work out so well last year. i could easily make an argument for them getting better and us getting worse. ugh.

Mark is such a great kid... he really is... he matured at a young age as both a person and a football player... credit to his mother.

Ingram EARNED every single yard that brought that Heisman Trophy to Tuscaloosa... this isn't a system back.. He slashes inside, cuts low, runs behind his pads, and the first guy (or two) never gets him on the ground... special talent..

You have to be to keep Trent Richardson behind you...

As Namor pointed out, the schedule is brutal this year... It seems like every team we play has a bye-week prior....

The offense will be fine...(if we can find a RT.. Fluker has looked shaky).. On defense it's a matter of getting a few guys in the secondary acclimated to the scheme and getting them experience... but Dre Kirkpatrick is a bona-fide stud right NOW... book it..

Hightower is healthy... Hopefully Marcel Dareus is cleared and ready to go... Most of the other guys (Chapman, Upshaw, Nico Johnson, etc.) on defense are already experienced although this is their first chance to start...

If Boise gets past VT in their first game they'll go undefeated rather easily... but I'm not so sure they can get past the Hokies...

I'm not sure anybody can go undefeated this year... odds are the champ will have 1 loss somewhere...

I would have rather started the year off at #3 or #4...but I'm not complaining to much.

Make that three of us... Me, you, and coach Saban...

Which is why he voted Ohio St. #1...

The main loss for Florida on defense was Charlie Strong... if anything is going to hurt it's going to be that. Florida and Alabama have been replacing "experience and talent" for decades... as has most every other "title" winning team...

The only critical leadership and experience Florida lost was Tebow and Spikes... there's a lot of guys on that defense who have played significant snaps even though this is their first year as a "starter"... same thing with Bama..

Who deserves to be #3? Texas? Didn't they just lose plenty of "experience and talent" when they lost the all time winningest QB in NCAA history along with several, several other players?

Oklahoma #3? Same thing here with the loss of Bradford and several, several players...

Virginia Tech or Boise could be #3.... but it doesn't matter because they play each other the first week and the winner is going to be in the top 3 anyway...

Bama returns a senior QB who hasn't lost a football game since he was in the 8th grade.. along with Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Julio Jones, Marquis Maze, Darius Hanks, Hightower, Marcel Dareus, Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw (caused the fumble in the national championship game that sealed it), along with a dominating offensive line....

So who should be #1? Ohio St.? The team that was finally able to win a BCS game when they weren't matched up with the SEC?

Back
Top Bottom