Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

Really? Get my feelings hurt? It's football dude. I don't get paid for watching it and really could care less if the league folded tomorrow. But more on point, agreed, OMFG, Alex Smith is no upgrade to Ryan Tanehill. For a team that needs more picks in the draft than it has, you would give up something for a lateral move? If a top QB falls to 11, get him. But don't waste assets for more of the same.

Well that's why I said assuming you got him for free. I would NOT give up picks for Smith, we need those. This is just a hypothetical offseason bullcrap thread.

I just thought it was interesting that a team is getting rid of a starting qb who I view as better than Tannehill.

KCs been a better organization than us. They drafted a qb and knew he'd be a backup all year. We drafted an edge and basically got the same production, zero.

This front office needs to get their heads out of their asses or I bet we are in for another decade of 6-9 win seasons,

Alex Smith is a good quarterback, and has been for a while.. He struggled real badly early in his career because he needed time to develop, but also because he was surrounded by hot garbage both in terms of supporting cast and also coaching. He took his lumps and became a real good starting QB once he was actually given a chance to flourish.

The big reason why I don't like this fantasy scenario is a real simple one: Ryan Tannehill's got a lot more arm talent and pretty frequently makes throws that Alex Smith can't make. Throws that most guys can't make, really.

So much like in 2012, when the Dolphins flirted with signing Smith, I'll say "No thanks." In 2012 the Dolphins needed to finally bite the bullet and draft a quarterback and develop him. They did, and the result is a guy that I like more than Alex Smith. If Miami's going to add another quarterback (and we should), it should be another young guy with talent we can coach up to either compete with Ryan Tannehill or be a competent backup for him.

Well that's why I said assuming you got him for free. I would NOT give up picks for Smith, we need those. This is just a hypothetical offseason bullcrap thread.

I just thought it was interesting that a team is getting rid of a starting qb who I view as better than Tannehill.

KCs been a better organization than us. They drafted a qb and knew he'd be a backup all year. We drafted an edge and basically got the same production, zero.

This front office needs to get their heads out of their asses or I bet we are in for another decade of 6-9 win seasons,
Bro I respect your opinion but I disagree. When Kelce went out today it was over for them. I believe Ryan has a better skill set and frame of mind if you will that he would ensure others got involved in the game to make up for the loss of a key player.

One last comment I don't see us going from a 30 year old QB to a 33 year old QB and calling that an upgrade. I think it was extremely hard for Ryan to be on the side lines this year. You could see it in his face that he wanted to be out there so bad with his team. Let's draft a young QB in the draft to groom and backup Ryan. I am really anxious to see Ryan back on the field.

You are making an apples to oranges comparison here. Smith has been questionable his entire career, including having been considered a bust by Harbaugh and traded from his original team. Kansas City has a rookie they would like to go to because they have been unhappy with Smith the last two years. If not for Andy Reid‘s stubbornness, Smith would never have started this season.

Up until last year, Tannehill has had questionable coaching, poor offensive talent, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Despite this, he managed a playoff run last year, and if not for his injury, he may well have led the team deep into the playoffs with talent that we know after this season is subpar to the Chiefs. I will take Tannehill.

LOL lead the team deep into the playoffs.....Or he could get hurt right before the playoff like he actually did and still never have played in a playoff game.

Fans will keep making excuses for him and then one year the front office will finally realize he's a failure and then and only then will people on here realize what a waste of time he was.

Tannehill is actually the perfect qb for the Dolphins. The worst thing you want to be in the NFL is to be average, you either want to be going to the playoffs every year or bad enough to get some real blue chip talent. This team does neither, stays right in the middle. Tannehill is the exact same, he won't ever be a pro bowler but he doesn't suck bad enough to where you just say "we gotta move on" he just lulls you to sleep with 5 wasted seasons of mediocrity.

LOL lead the team deep into the playoffs.....Or he could get hurt right before the playoff like he actually did and still never have played in a playoff game.

Fans will keep making excuses for him and then one year the front office will finally realize he's a failure and then and only then will people on here realize what a waste of time he was.

Tannehill is actually the perfect qb for the Dolphins. The worst thing you want to be in the NFL is to be average, you either want to be going to the playoffs every year or bad enough to get some real blue chip talent. This team does neither, stays right in the middle. Tannehill is the exact same, he won't ever be a pro bowler but he doesn't suck bad enough to where you just say "we gotta move on" he just lulls you to sleep with 5 wasted seasons of mediocrity.
And Joe Phillbin was the the coach for 4 of those years. Did I really just type that? And Jeff Ireland was buying the groceries. See where this is going?

The Chiefs know how to backfill their roster. Most good teams do. The Dolphins have trouble just frontfilling their roster. I’ll believe more in Tannehill when he starts having success in his own division. He has a losing record vs. the AFC East. Never won in Buffalo or New England. Alex Smith’s Chiefs are 12-0 vs. the AFC West over the last two years. That’s very hard to do in any division.

The Chiefs know how to backfill their roster. Most good teams do. The Dolphins have trouble just frontfilling their roster. I’ll believe more in Tannehill when he starts having success in his own division. He has a losing record vs. the AFC East. Never won in Buffalo or New England. Alex Smith’s Chiefs are 12-0 vs. the AFC West over the last two years. That’s very hard to do in any division.

Ok so would you take Smith over Tannehill?

And this thread is not about trades or any of that stuff. Just straight up if Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith both somehow were free agents tomorrow and we got the opportunity to sign one, same contract same everything. Who you going with?

And this thread is not about trades or any of that stuff. Just straight up if Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith both somehow were free agents tomorrow and we got the opportunity to sign one, same contract same everything. Who you going with?
Neither

Yep Miami has been looking for TEs, O-line players, LBs and non overrated D-lineman for years.

Brother jbyrd850 I give you credit that you started this thread and stayed with it to discuss. I may not agree with the choice, I thank you for the conversation. Have a great weekend! John

Alex Smith just put up this type of season

68% completion
4000 yards
26 TD
5 INT
104.7 QBR

Someone tell me when Tannehill has or ever will put up numbers like this. Alex Smith was and is a better QB than RT.

Yet if I'm the GM I dont trade for Smith. I ride out RT one more year in a prove it season and draft a QB in waiting at #11.

Smith, because I’m greedy. I just think he could lead a flawed Miami roster to more wins in the immediate future. He’s older, but durable and wins lots of regular season games. And he won’t freak out because Gase drafts his backup, he showed that this year with Mahomes.

Back
Top Bottom