Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

LOL lead the team deep into the playoffs.....Or he could get hurt right before the playoff like he actually did and still never have played in a playoff game.

Fans will keep making excuses for him and then one year the front office will finally realize he's a failure and then and only then will people on here realize what a waste of time he was.

Tannehill is actually the perfect qb for the Dolphins. The worst thing you want to be in the NFL is to be average, you either want to be going to the playoffs every year or bad enough to get some real blue chip talent. This team does neither, stays right in the middle. Tannehill is the exact same, he won't ever be a pro bowler but he doesn't suck bad enough to where you just say "we gotta move on" he just lulls you to sleep with 5 wasted seasons of mediocrity.

Sorry man, but going after Tannehill for the injury is just a cheap shot. Tannehill has been one of, if not the most durable QB’s in the NFL since he was drafted. One of the worst OL’s in the NFL have resulted in Tannehill being consistently one of the most sacked and hit QB’s season after season and yet he has shown improvement year after year and rarely misses field time were it not for another OL blunder that let a defender go for his knee. There are definitely things Tannehill can be criticized for, but toughness is not one of them.

Your vision on the QB position does have me confused though, as you argue that Tannehill is average and mediocre while starting this thread advocating picking up Alex Smith, who is the poster child for mediocrity. If being mediocre is the worst thing a team can be, how can you possibly advocate picking up Smith? I understand if you don’t like Tannehill, but a move for Smith seems to contradict your overall philosophy. Under your philosophy, it would make more sense to release Tannehill, keep and start Moore to tank the season and then draft a QB with a high pick, right?

Funny, I was just on Chief's Planet and the hatred for Smith is almost universal (one poster wished AIDS on him even). Not that they're thrilled with Andy either, but they know they're stuck with him for a few more years.

Some pretty funny reads if you're interested, on there.. but to answer your question, Tannehill has upside, Smith is exactly who he's gonna be 2 years from now .. so thanks but no thanks

oh,and many of them think they're gonna get a 2 for him from Cleveland, Denver or AZ.. so if they're right, that means actually giving KC something of value. **** that!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312936

Alex Smith just put up this type of season

68% completion
4000 yards
26 TD
5 INT
104.7 QBR

Someone tell me when Tannehill has or ever will put up numbers like this. Alex Smith was and is a better QB than RT.

Yet if I'm the GM I dont trade for Smith. I ride out RT one more year in a prove it season and draft a QB in waiting at #11.

Alex Smith was drafted in 2005, Tannehill in 2012. It has taken Smith 12 years and a good coach with great talent around him to finally have a season like that. Tannehill has played five with nowhere near the tools or stability Smith has enjoyed. Can we at least give him 2 stable seasons with a good coach and some decent talent before we decide he is worse than Smith?

I have no problem with drafting another QB prospect, but this Alex Smith as an upgrade idea is a real stretch.

You are making an apples to oranges comparison here. Smith has been questionable his entire career, including having been considered a bust by Harbaugh and traded from his original team. Kansas City has a rookie they would like to go to because they have been unhappy with Smith the last two years. If not for Andy Reid‘s stubbornness, Smith would never have started this season.

Up until last year, Tannehill has had questionable coaching, poor offensive talent, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Despite this, he managed a playoff run last year, and if not for his injury, he may well have led the team deep into the playoffs with talent that we know after this season is subpar to the Chiefs. I will take Tannehill.

So Alex smith didn't have questionable coaching his first 5 years with Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary? What good reliable targets did he have until Vernon Davis broke out in 09 and Crabtree in 2012? Smith joined a 2-14 team and in his first full year of starting went 7-9, Tannehill joined a 6-10 team and in his first full year of starting went 7-9.

Tannehill led us to an 8-5 record just like in 2013 when he led us to 8-6 and 2014 when he led us to 7-5 before finishing 8-8 both years. I take Tannehill for his youth but neither QB is head and shoulders better than the other.

Have we again also forgot that Tannehill played more games at WR in college than he did QB? I mean he did not start at qb until the 6th game of his JR year..

So Alex smith didn't have questionable coaching his first 5 years with Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary? What good reliable targets did he have until Vernon Davis broke out in 09 and Crabtree in 2012? Smith joined a 2-14 team and in his first full year of starting went 7-9, Tannehill joined a 6-10 team and in his first full year of starting went 7-9.

Tannehill led us to an 8-5 record just like in 2013 when he led us to 8-6 and 2014 when he led us to 7-5 before finishing 8-8 both years. I take Tannehill for his youth but neither QB is head and shoulders better than the other.

Actually, you’re proving my point. It took Alex Smith 12 years to get where he is now. In his first five years of turmoil, he had poor results. With stability, he has improved. The irony here is that Tannehill’s career mirrors Smiths, but rather than developing him now that he finally is getting the stability Smith needed to succeed, some of you would prefer to replace him with the older player with less upside.

Have we again also forgot that Tannehill played more games at WR in college than he did QB? I mean he did not start at qb until the 6th game of his JR year..

Have we forgotten that Tannehll threw 774 passes in college to Smiths 587. Was recruited to play QB and played WR simply because it gave him an opportunity to play as oppose to ride the bench. He also only attended QB meeting in college, while never attending any WR meetings.

Actually, you’re proving my point. It took Alex Smith 12 years to get where he is now. In his first five years of turmoil, he had poor results. With stability, he has improved. The irony here is that Tannehill’s career mirrors Smiths, but rather than developing him now that he finally is getting the stability Smith needed to succeed, some of you would prefer to replace him with the older player with less upside.

Huh? Alex Smith right now is an average to maybe slightly above average QB, a middle tier QB. He's been that for a while now and this year does not change that. It may have taken him 12 years to have his career year but he's still considered a slightly above average QB. I would never want to replace Smith for Tanny....they are both in the same tier there would be no point.

Do you guys think Chiefs fans would take Tannehill over Smith? What teams fans do you think would actually want/trade what they have for Tannehill?

I don't think it would be very many and even maybe 0. Just saying

I can't believe people actually think Tannehill is as good as Smith! What games have you people been watching!?

I ask because Alex Smith is going to be available. He's no world beater in my opinion but he's been pretty solid for a guy that is gonna get shopped around and replaced by basically a rookie.

In my made up scenario here, he's cut by KC so we don't have to trade anything for him. Also in my made up scenario the Dolphins can cut Ryan Tannehill with no cap hit.

Basically a straight up "who would you rather" have as the starting quarterback of the team, given a choice between these two guys.

Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith?

Same qb. Watching the game after the concussion, Smith looked lost. Allows the game to overwhelm him. Can make throws in 1st half until adjustments are made. Both qb’s are fringe playoff qb’s and fans are happy with that

If you need a top TE, great WRs, RBs and a good o-line for your QB to become good then you need a better QB.
Remember Marino only reached 10 wins in 6 of his 16 seasons, so a majority were 9-7 or less seasons. Not finishing at the top of the standings doesn't always mean the qb isn't good. And yes I know two of the 10 seasons Marino didn't reach 10 wins were his rookie year where he started 9 games and the year he got injured and only played in 5. That still leaves 8 seasons of 9-7 or less football and trust me it wasn't because the team needed a better qb.

Back
Top Bottom