All-time Fins drafts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All-time Fins drafts

Chi-Town FinFan

Starter
Reaction score
Best Fins Draft Picks by Round

The Fins have been the victims of some poor drafts over the last few years or so... I decided to take a look at some of the better draft picks. Here is my list of best picks by round:

1st round- Dan Marino (1983) Is there any question?
2nd round- Dwight Stephenson (1980)- Honorable mention John Offerdahl (1986)
3rd round- Jason Taylor- (1997)- HM Mercury Morris (1969)
4th round- Randy McMichael (2002) Ouch... 4th round has not been our friend
5th round- Zach Thomas (1996) HM- Jim Kiick (1968)
6th round- Doug Betters (1978) HM Reggie Roby (1983)
7th round- Jake Scott (1970) HM Rod Wright (2006) Jury is still out, but he has promise
8th round- Mark Clayton (1983)
9th Round- Jeff Cross- (1988)
Rounds 10-17... The only name I even recognize from that list is JB Brown (12th round 1989)

Here's the link to the draft picks:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2700&type=team

Feel free to add...

Judging by that list, Jeff Dellenbach is probably the best 4th round pick we've ever had.

And it's common knowledge that the Dolphins franchise has never really drafted EXCEPTIONALLY well since their inception. Hitting on some players, missing on many many more. It's interesting to look back and see what could have been.

Didn't we draft Brian Cox in the 5th round, we would've had Clayton, Duper and Anthony Carter for Dan to throw to. Looking back I noticed a trend if we draft well one year the next year we do better or close to it. So hears to a great draft in a few weeks :beer1:

Rod Wright???? Doesnt belong on that list, even in the 7th. Heck, Id put Derrick Pope ahead of him in the 7th, hes been on the club contributing for 4 years coming in the 7th round.

Tim Ruddy deserves some consideration as a 2nd rounder. He was very solid for a long time.

Chris Gray was a great 5th round pick. Too bad we let him play his best years elsewhere.

Troy Stradford could have been a real good one for the 4th round if not for the injuries.

Jim Jensen, round 11.

Glenn Blackwood, round 8.

Gerald Small, round 4. He was a solid player for us.

Bruce Hardy, round 9.

Bob Baumhower, round 2, perennial Pro Bowl at NT.

Ed Newman, round 6, a very good guard for us for a long time.

Joe Theismann, round 4, he turned out well eventually.

Bill Stanfill may deserve an honorable mention in round 1. The guy was a sack machine before they really kept track of such things.

Scott Mitchell QB 4th round 1990 did well for Detroit passed over 4300+ yds.

Troy Stradford RB 4th round 1987 mentioned above once ran for 169 yds vs Dallas on Monday Night.

Eric Laakso T 4th round 1978 All Pro.

Curtis Johnson CB 4th round 1970 played during our early Shula years, part of that 72 team.

Other notables who were cut and became All Pros for other teams were Anthony Carter WR 12th round, became all pro with Minn.

Joe Theisman QB 4th round 1971

Gary Fencik S 1976 All Pro with Chi.

Leon Gray T 3rd round in 73 All Pro with NE

Bill Kinney QB 12th round in 78, Pro Bowler with KC

Reya Thompson CB 9th rounder 1986, Pro Bowler with Bill Parcells NYG

Jim Jensen, round 11.

Glenn Blackwood, round 8.

Bruce Hardy, round 9.

Bob Baumhower, round 2, perennial Pro Bowl at NT.

That would be my list, excellent catches dolfanmark. But without a doubt Bob Baumhower needs to be mentioned among our very best round 2 choices. That guy was a rock and extremely consistent over a long period of time. Man, how great would it be to find another like him for this team.

Mark Clayton 1983 8th round pick 223 1971 Joe Theismann round 4 we should have kept him thanks coach 1982 Mark " Super" Duper round 2 pick 52 our 2 nest recievers ever hey lets bring them back with marino they could outplay our current team for the next ten years 1988 Ferrell Edmonds not a bad TE 1988 round 3 1989 was a good draft Round 1 Sammie Smith Round 2 Louis Oliver round 5 Jeff Uhlenhake Round 8 PISTOL PETE STOYANOVICH 1989 Round 1 #9 Richmond Webb Round Keith Simms 1990 Round 5 Bryan " The Bird " Cox 1991 GREAT DRAFT Round 1 Troy Vincent ROund 1 MArco Coleman 1993 McDuffie and Kirby They were good to us 1994 Tim Bowens 1995 NOBODY 1996 Daryl Gardner Zach Thomas 1997 Sam Madison Jason Taylor Derrick Rodgers 1998 Patrick Surtain 2002 McKinney McMichael 2004 CArey Rex Hadnot Derrick Pope 2005 ROTH CROWDER These are just my favorites but not all were great but most made good contributions to our team

Back
Top Bottom