Amendola Signing Grade: D+ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Amendola Signing Grade: D+

This move might work or not, but when will intelligent people stop worrying about what the assheads at ESPN say? It is truly mind blowing.

LOL. Are there any more slot receivers we can sign? I'm just glad that's not any other holes that need to be filled.

I’m sure that we will trade up and draft one that rides the bench for years....

When have we ever gotten better than a C on these things. We could sign Aaron freaking Rodgers tomorrow and get a D+ from this guy.

When have we ever truly made a good value free agent signing of some other teams free agent? Especially when they are over 30? Can’t recall.

Good thing those signing grade translates into actual wins on the field. See Giants...See Raiders a season and 2 ago respectively.

Ok so I can get down with a D as a grade but give me something more than just "a guy who bought air fresheners"

I mean I get what they are saying but you just brought in two receivers for the price of the one you shipped off.

Now you can ship off one tackle at 9+m and you're telling me you can fill at least two voids along the line with that money?

I mean I'm as frustrated as the next guy with this off season but this is still a crap article. At least give a few facts to back it up.

There you go! That's the strong leadership stuff I expected. Well thought and well said. Trending in the right direction.

Tuesday, March 21
i

LB Kiko Alonso, Dolphins
Grade: D+

First, it was odd to see the Dolphins tender Alonso at the first-round level as a restricted free agent this offseason, as opposed to the original second-round tender. The difference amounted to a little under $2 million, and it's nearly impossible to believe that another team would have been sufficiently interested in the Oregon product to hand him a deal the Dolphins wouldn't have been willing to match and send Miami a second-round pick in the process.

The Dolphins, down their original third- and fourth-round picks after what appears to be an ill-fated trade up for WR Leonte Carroo last year, should have been delighted to get a second-round pick in a deep draft for Alonso. (They wouldn't have.) Instead, Miami has gone a step further by locking Alonso up on a long-term contract. His four-year deal will include that $3.9 million tender as part of a four-year, $29 million deal with $18.5 million in guarantees.

DE Andre Branch, Dolphins
Revised grade: F

Let's review: The Dolphins have one of the league's most expensive defensive lines, anchored by two elite players: Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Wake. The team wanted a third pass-rusher last offseason and paid a premium for Mario Williams while quietly adding Branch, a former Jaguars bust, on a one-year, $2.5 million deal to serve as a backup. Williams busted in spectacular (if predictable) fashion, while Branch was a useful reserve, racking up 5.5 sacks and 12 hits on 430 pass-rush attempts.

You'd think the Dolphins would figure that most players will look effective playing next to two Hall of Fame-caliber defenders, and would therefore allow Branch to leave while signing the next buy-low opportunity to play alongside Suh and Wake. Instead, the Dolphins paid a hefty premium to keep Branch around, giving him $27 million over three years. Much depends on the structure of this deal, but in a draft exceedingly deep in pass-rushers, the Dolphins likely overpaid to hold on to a player they could have replaced at a fraction of the cost.

Updated Thursday, March 16: It turns out the structure of this deal is brutal. The Dolphins would have been foolish to give Branch $8 million per year while guaranteeing the first year of the contract, but it would have been only moderately risky. Instead, the Dolphins gave Branch a staggering $16.8 million in full guarantees, meaning that 70 percent of his total contract is guaranteed. The only other veteran end in football on a multiyear, nonrookie contract with a higher percentage of his money guaranteed is, not coincidentally, Cameron Wake. After Branch, the next-best guarantee for a defensive end is Brandon Graham, and his contract is 50 percent guaranteed.

Even worse, the Dolphins structured the deal in a way that reduces their cap hit in Year 1, holding Branch to a cap hit of $5 million. To make up for that, they guaranteed Branch a $10 million base salary for 2017, which is incredible for a player whose breakout season was 5.5 sacks and 12 knockdowns. The Dolphins would have been just fine if they had let Branch leave, made the totally reasonable trade they completed for William Hayes, and gone after another rotation piece such as Alex Okafor. Instead, they're committed to a guy who was considered replacement-level before last season and might be considered replacement-level after this upcoming season.

Hes better than Torrey Smith. Follow the eagles way. Now that signing was an F.

Anyone else miss Dawn Aponte? LOL

This team just doesn't seem to know how to manage money.

Understand the Amendola signing but I just don’t see how they pay Wilson 3@24M (that numbers got to be wrong)

Back
Top Bottom