An indication of Tannehill starting this year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An indication of Tannehill starting this year?

zach attach

Active Roster
Reaction score
Reading some articles today, it seemed like Tannehill got an early leg up on his competiton at QB. I think it was Philbin who said that RT learned the playbook in about 3 hours. Im sure that's a stretch, but the offense Sherman runs is supposedly very similar, if not the same one, he ran at TA&M.
If RT knows the reads, routes, and throws needed it has to work into his favor. Im thinkin Ross did want this guy bad and now Im thinkin Ross wants him starting.
We shall see I guess.

He may know the playbook, but he doesn't yet know how fast NFL corners break on the ball, how suddenly the pocket collapses, and how much bigger, faster, and stronger the entire defense is.

We'll all have a better sense of how quickly he will be ready to start once he gets some time in preseason. My guess is he'll probably be ready to start midseason, but will only do so if we are really struggling and already out of the playoff picture.

He may know the playbook, but he doesn't yet know how fast NFL corners break on the ball, how suddenly the pocket collapses, and how much bigger, faster, and stronger the entire defense is.

We'll all have a better sense of how quickly he will be ready to start once he gets some time in preseason. My guess is he'll probably be ready to start midseason, but will only do so if we are really struggling and already out of the playoff picture.

this^^ Well said oasis. Until Tannehill "slows" the game down, learn to read defensive tendencies, and perfect his timing throws with anticipation on WR breaks, he is best served learning from the sidelines with a clipboard.

I'm in agreement with you Oasis. He should learn and watch. My fear is that they "Gabbert" him and he's running around scared the whole game. I do think RT can scramble better than Gabby.

Gabbert was adverse to contact even in college; this Texan is not afraid to get dirty but it's best not to make him human pinata similar to David Carr.

Yeah, in an interview i've heard earlier he was talking about the playbook. He said the base of the offense is the same with very similar verbiage with just a few new things to learn.

Like some on here already said, knowing the playbook is great but learning to play in the NFL is a whole different story and with 19 games at QB in college, I wouldn't put any money on him coming in ready to play first day or even first year. Give him time behind the two vets.

I have been a huge Dolphin fan my whole life and living in NJ surrounded by die hard Jet fans has made that painful at times. All this talk about quarterback and can Tannehill start this year. Honestly I’m hoping he doesn’t. Who is he going to throw the ball too? Our receiving corps is a joke. We have good #2 and #3 receivers. Although Brandon Marshall dropped a lot of balls he was a great target. One trade that I feel is going to really burn when we play the jets is passing up on Stephen Hill. Yes we need help on the right side of the line. You can go back and forth on most of these decisions. It’s just a gut feeling I have and I’m hoping I’m wrong! I’m hoping like every other Dolphin fan that a couple of these receivers that we have been hearing are so great in practice but don’t show up in games step up and grow into that much needed #1 receiver. Cheers to all you fins fans I can’t wait till football season!!!

I have been a huge Dolphin fan my whole life and living in NJ surrounded by die hard Jet fans has made that painful at times. All this talk about quarterback and can Tannehill start this year. Honestly I’m hoping he doesn’t. Who is he going to throw the ball too? Our receiving corps is a joke. We have good #2 and #3 receivers. Although Brandon Marshall dropped a lot of balls he was a great target. One trade that I feel is going to really burn when we play the jets is passing up on Stephen Hill. Yes we need help on the right side of the line. You can go back and forth on most of these decisions. It’s just a gut feeling I have and I’m hoping I’m wrong! I’m hoping like every other Dolphin fan that a couple of these receivers that we have been hearing are so great in practice but don’t show up in games step up and grow into that much needed #1 receiver. Cheers to all you fins fans I can’t wait till football season!!!

Dolphins don't need a #1 Receiver, they need a group of guys that can run routes and catch the ball! That being said the WR core is going to take some time to learn and be moulded into what the team is looking for. Its not a good idea at all to start Tannehill this year not only for him to learn but for the receivers to be where the team wants them.

Back
Top Bottom