Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Aug 10, 2017.

1. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

If Raekwon was going to step in and be a quality starting MLB for us, that was a W/L difference, in my opinion.

It's just another body blow.

Martel13 and catzero4 like this.
  2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Teams now can eat in base and nickel at the lb level so yeah I think it definitely effects our bottom line. Teams attack weaknesses. And we have zero strong depth in the building and a marginal mike depth option if they promote him not very stout at the poa or on the goalline short yardage

Martel13 and catzero4 like this.
  3. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

It's not on point because he was hurt right away, but the four game pre-season schedule is asinine and just a money grab. Yiu play 16 regular season games and you need a quarter of that for pre-season? If advanced aliens swooshed down and saw this, they'd pat us on the heads and say "silly little simple humans." They need two games MAX but it's the owners method of cranking cash out for garbage product. And I don't think you need an 18 game regular season either. Two much attrition, it' savage. 16 regular season and two pre-season, done.

4. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Because he had disc fused in his neck and they won't medically clear him. Call me crazy, but he probably doesn't want to end up blowing in a straw to move his wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Stoobz likes this.
  5. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

And who are you to tell me I shouldn't post my opinion on a forum when thats all people do here? I clarified what I was meaning when i made that post. we come on here to talk about a team we all follow and post our opinions and observations about that team. No need to be rude because you disagree with me. And because you have 30,000 posts on this board doesnt make you know anything more about professional sports than I do.

6. Csonked Out

Csonked Out Well-Known Member

Rookie linebackers play special teams, that's just how it works. It was a freak accident that sucks but he absolutely needed to get some experience at special teams and training camp is when that happens. To fault Gase for that is just 100% wrong.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Did Charles Harris at least look the win sub pass rush part yesterday? I won't see the game til tomorrow and we got a lot riding on him in the sub.

8. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

I dont see that written in the rules anywhere. I get playing rookies on special teams. I get thats a typical thing. But when said rookie is about the only worthy option to play a position of need you dont throw him out there on special teams. You dont put tannehill on punt coverage do you? Ajayi? Wake? Not saying hes on the level of those players yet but hes as valuable at that postion as almost anyone right now simply because we are sooooo thin. We NEEDED him at mike. We didnt need him on punt coverage.

9. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Agreed...although this is rotten luck.

10. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

I agree, I think Gase got a little too greedy in terms of risk vs. reward with using him on punt coverage. Sure, he can help a little bit in that area but so can other guys who are less valuable. Gase is still a very young H.C, I think he learns from this and is more conservative on who he puts in specials, ESPECIALLY in the preseason. At the end of the day though, it's football, s*** happens.

catzero4 likes this.
  11. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

JMO, but I didn't see a 2nd round rookie coming in right away and being a quality starter. Maybe later down the line in the season but I envisioned a lot of rotating.

12. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Not once did I say you shouldn't post your opinion. But when it's as baseless as you stating you've lost faith in Adam Gase already what really is the point? How do injuries, which happen in sports, get you to lose faith in a guy who led the team to 10 wins last year with a weaker team? Then you make it seem like it's up to Gase and Gase only to force Tannehill to get surgery. That isn't reality.

My posting history doesn't make me smarter than you or anyone else here. Yet I've never had the audacity to make outlandish statements in a limited time frame on FH.

13. ReppinThe941

ReppinThe941 Well-Known Member

PLEASE!
    Have you seen what we are trotting out there at LB?

RM probably would have been the best backer we had... and right away.

catzero4 likes this.
  14. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

15. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Sh** does happen. Its putting yourself in a position to keep out of the sh** that he needs to work on. I think he is going to be great for this team, but his youth was shown from this.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  16. Daytona Fin

Lots of probably's and if's, sadly we will never know now.

17. Csonked Out

your just emotional about this. You can't say the guy is the only option when he hasn't even played an NFL down yet. Kiko, while not an ideal MIKE, is capable of filling in and playing it, Hull is capable, and Timmons could in a pinch as well even if he did lose some speed. I get why your upset but it sounds like your argument is more emotional than factually.

Also, Ajayi doesn't play special teams as he isn't good at them. Part of the reason he was benched at the beginning of last year is because he doesn't play special teams and as Gase said, "we need our runningbacks to play special teams." And Tannehill not playing on special teams is a terrible argument. Quarterbacks don't play special teams unless they are holding the ball on field goals, and correct me if I'm wrong but I know Wake was a great special teams player at Penn State and was used early on here in a special teams role.

Always Next Year likes this.
  18. ReppinThe941

If you knew the Fins Roster, then you would probably know this statement to be true.

catzero4 likes this.
  19. Daytona Fin

I know that the roster had a rookie LB that has never played an NFL snap.

Csonked Out likes this.
  20. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

I was giving examples of players that are important to the success of the team. And there are players more important than others. Those two guys are capable linebackers. But there inst a third. Its why they drafted McMillan. If Hull was capable McMillan probably would not have been the second round pick.

21. TannDaMan17

Agreed, he a youngin fo sho. Still 1 billion times better than queasy joe.

catzero4 likes this.
  22. Csonked Out

yes but they are veteran players, it's how the league has worked for over 50 years. You play special teams until you establish yourself and the kid hasnt played a down yet. The perk we have at linebacker is how versatile Timmons and Kiko are. Both Hewitt and Hull are capable of stepping in.

23. miamidolphins83

miamidolphins83 Active Member

gutted. We should make a move for Mychal Kendricks from the Eagles and move Timmons to MLB.

24. ReppinThe941

Correct, But can we agree its not much of stretch to assume he would have been the best LB? Considered our Corps was the absolute worst in the league last year?

25. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

I already clarified what i was meaning in another post. And yes, you did say I shouldn't post if that was going to be my take on things.

26. TannDaMan17

There are exceptions to every rule though. I don't know if it happened or not, but would it have been smart for Carolina to put Kuechly on specials when he was a rookie, just because he was a rookie? Some rookie's are extremely valuable to their team, and having them work on specials simply isn't a risk worth taking. In reality it's just not that important, compared to playing a position like MLB which is absolutely vital.

catzero4 likes this.
  27. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

As bad as the linebacking corp was last year and the paper thin depth we had the Dolphins should have doubled up in the draft at linebacker. I said we should have picked two linebackers, two DEs and two OGs but half measures have been a common theme in the draft. Overspend in free agency instead of working the draft. You waste a draft pick on a WR in the 7th round, a position that's deep, with a guy that has no shot of making the team and will be lucky to make the practice squad...could have at least reached for a position of need instead. Chances of a 7th rounder making the team are slim to begin with but at least address the weaknesses of the team not the strengths.

28. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Oh absolutely...you'll get to see what hes really made of this year with the hits they have taken.

29. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

I know that and im not arguing with that. Im just saying sometimes there are exceptions. And this was one of those times in my opinion. If you don't think so that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

30. Daytona Fin

Saying he would be better than , in your mind, the worst doesn't mean he would be good. Again we will never know so it's a moot point.

31. WestSideFin

WestSideFin A True Fan

Bring in a vet LB could end up working out just fine

32. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

I get the old "thats just the way it is" football argument from the 60's but don't you have to evolve with the game and know your personnel? You just had Misi retire you have a bunch of scrubs behind your starters. Run somebody else out there and protect your few assets on D. This is on the staff IMO

catzero4 likes this.
  33. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

Amen

34. Csonked Out

honest question, who here has even seen the kid play yet. So many people on here are jumping off the cliff, have any of you even seen him play or is this just based off of tweets.

35. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Pefect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

So have a guy who is scheduled to be a key factor on special teams all year, not practice special teams in the preseason at all? That doesn't seem logical if you ask me.

It can't be stressed enough, even though he was our starting MLB . . . we were likely going to be in nickel in a higher percentage of defensive snaps and that would limit his overall snaps as our nickel LBs were slated to be Timmons and Kiko.

McMillan was probably going to be on every special teams play this season.

Yes it is a tough loss for our defense, but this idea that the staff should of not played him on special teams in the preseason is pure ****ery.

36. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

No he shouldnt have been on special teams period. Thats the problem. Not that he was practicing something he was scheduled for. Its the fact he was scheduled for special teams at all.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  37. WestSideFin

WestSideFin A True Fan

Does Rey Maualuga know the system from Vance? I wonder if he could step in and be the signal caller?

38. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Pefect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

In what universe do you think a 2nd round LB, slated to play in less than half of the defensive snaps, just sits around the whole game not doing special teams?

It has been well documented that both Zach and JT played special teams early in their careers and they started on defense. This is an extremely normal thing.

Always Next Year likes this.
  39. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

I'll take Gase's judgement on what his rookie needed over your opinion. Sucks he got injured but it's football.

40. catzero4

catzero4 Active Member

We've established it is a normal thing. I was saying that there are exceptions. This team is ultra thin at linebacker. To the point where the starting three linebackers shouldn't see the field if its not on defense. We know its normal for rookies to play special teams. But at some point there's a risk versus reward and the risk highly outweighed the reward in this situation.

TannDaMan17 likes this.