Another Off-Season Suggestion Set | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Off-Season Suggestion Set

qmar

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know we see these posts often, but I think this is a fairly reasonable off-season hope with potential projected cap numbers included.

Cut:
Richard Marshall - Making too much money coming off of a back injury
Dimitri Patterson - Making too much money for overall level of talent
Carpenter - Set to make $3M this year, cmon, not worth it

Assuming we have $60M in cap space after cuts (conservative considering some say we will have $60M without the cuts above):

Re-sign:
Hartline - $4M cap number
Smith - $6M cap number
Clemons - $2M cap number
Garner - $1.5M cap number (depth only)
Devlin - RFA, assume $1M cap number
Smaller player signings - Total $2M cap number
Reshad Jones - $5M total cap number, $4.5 greater than what 2013 would be (will be FA in 2014, sign him long term for cheaper now, he's a stud)
Soliai - $6M total cap number, $1M less than what 2013 would be (also not a FA this year, give him a long term deal and save $1M in cap number for 2013)

Total for Re-Signings: $20M (includes Soliai ($1M) and Reshad $4.5M))
Remaining for Draft and FA: $40M

Sign:
Jennings - $8M cap number (Philbin likes high character guys, Wallace and Bowe are not the greatest high character, Jennings still some left in the tank)
Andre Smith - $6M cap number (has been solid RT for the Bengals, don't believe they will re-sign him, keep Martin at LT and Smith at RT)
Paul Kruger - $5M cap number (line him up opposite Wake, need to convert him from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE, question is does he have the size)
Grimes - $8M cap number (best CB in FA, need a stud to handle team's top WR's)

Total for FA: $27M
Remaining for Draft and Roster fillers: $13M

I'm not the greatest scout so I more threw in positions (although Lacy looked damn good the other night and would be a perfect compliment to Miller)
Draft:
1st: Eifert
2nd: CB
2nd: Lacy (perfect compliment to Lamar Miller)
3rd: DE
3rd: WR
4th+: ?

Depth Chart (does not inlcude roster fillers and 4th+ round draft picks)
QB: Tannehill, Devlin
RB: Miller, Lacy, Thomas
FB: Lane
WR: Jennings, Hartline, Bess, 3rd round Rookie, Mathews, Thigpen
TE: Eifert, Clay, Egnew
LT: Martin
LG: Incognito
C: Pouncey
RG: Jerry
RT: Smith

LE: Kruger and Vernon
DT: Soliai
DT: Odrick
RE: Wake and 3rd round rookie
ROLB: Misi
MLB: Dansby
LOLB: Burnett
CB: Grimes
CB: Smith
CB: Rookie 2nd rounder
CB: Carroll
FS: Clemons
SS: Jones

K: Kaeding or rookie or other FA
P: Fields

Not too bad at all. I would keep Bush and draft a little differently, though. Jennings is a very good player and will help the offense immensely, but I would double-dip and take Keenan Allen in the first round. Ertz would be the higher 2nd round choice and I might even double-dip at TE with someone like Cook in free agency.

Great write up OP, however I hope you were not considering reaching for Eiffert at 12. He is projected (as of now) to fall into the mid, to late 20s. I would trade down for an additional 2nd rounder and pick him at 22-27. I was for drafting Hunter with one of those high 1st slots, but his stock seems to have taken a slight drop to the mid 2nd now. Eiffert would not be a bad pick in that situation.

Not too bad at all. I would keep Bush and draft a little differently, though. Jennings is a very good player and will help the offense immensely, but I would double-dip and take Keenan Allen in the first round. Ertz would be the higher 2nd round choice and I might even double-dip at TE with someone like Cook in free agency.

This is what i would do. Get Jennings (even though i prefer wallace) and draft Allen or Austin in the first round. Then get Cook the TE and draft another in the 3rd or 4th. Picks 2a and 2b would be CB and Pass rusher. Outside of that not too bad of a plan.

This is what i would do. Get Jennings (even though i prefer wallace) and draft Allen or Austin in the first round. Then get Cook the TE and draft another in the 3rd or 4th. Picks 2a and 2b would be CB and Pass rusher. Outside of that not too bad of a plan.
Coyle has a history of getting solid play from average veteran corners, so I think would address CB in free agency. I'm torn on DE, there are some good ones in the draft but you usually have to draft high to get a good one and I want offensive playmakers in the first couple picks

Great write up OP, however I hope you were not considering reaching for Eiffert at 12. He is projected (as of now) to fall into the mid, to late 20s. I would trade down for an additional 2nd rounder and pick him at 22-27. I was for drafting Hunter with one of those high 1st slots, but his stock seems to have taken a slight drop to the mid 2nd now. Eiffert would not be a bad pick in that situation.

Definitely wouldn't reach for Eiffert at 12, although I was thinking you move back to the late teens and pick up an extra pick next year (2nd) or a player. I didn't want to incorporate that into the write-up for simplicity sake.

Lacy is entering the draft?

His stock rose quite a bit on Monday night (well into the 2nd round) whereas before he was projected as a late 3rd or 4th if he entered the draft. I think seeing how much his stock rose will push him to declare.

I would be OK with most of that except I would rather keep Marshall for another season than sign Smith to a long term deal. Probably should extend Odrick now too. We probably should think about drafting an ILB in the first 3 rounds this year as Misi, Dansby and Burnett all have their contracts coming up.

Eifert is a first down machine, and if they are as high on him as i am, then pull the trigger at 12. With the tight end trend in the nfl, i wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier than anticipated

Eifert is a first down machine, and if they are as high on him as i am, then pull the trigger at 12. With the tight end trend in the nfl, i wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier than anticipated

Trading down and getting him would be ideal but I would have no problem taking him at 12

Zero chance this happens. The first round is for OL and DTs.

Back
Top Bottom