Another reason why Brandon Weeden makes sense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another reason why Brandon Weeden makes sense

isaacjunk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
The 2013 QB class looks to be stacked. Assuming we can get Weeden for a 2nd this year, this means we have a great formula for maximizing the chance we'll solve our QB problem in the next 2 years. You get Weeden and try to play him sooner rather than later in 2012 to find out if he's a keeper, which he's uniquely able to do due to his maturity. If he busts, you'll be in great position to land a top QB again the following year with your top pick. That's two shots at a franchise-caliber QB, expending at most a 1st and a 2nd in two years...

That's way better than mortgaging the farm for one shot at an Andrew Luck for instance ( which would easily take an extra 1st and 2nd, probably more ). From a poker-player-type perspective, I think that's a pretty decent hand to play...

Except it's not. For one, there are no prospects in next year's draft with quite the same profile as Luck. Barkley will be close, but not quite the same, imo. There's also no guarantee the team would finish with the same record or worse, which would be needed to have a really good shot at one of the top couple guys next year. It would be stupid to take Weeden just so they can essentially forego all the QB's this offseason and then try again next year. What they need to do is identify a guy they want and try to get him, regardless of where that might be in the draft (or free agency/trade). I too am dying to see the Dolphins finally spend a premium pick on a QB, but it would be beyond foolish to do it just to do it.

I would rather supply Moore with additional weapons(Blackmon or Richardson) and beef up our secondary(Claiborne) and/or pass rush with our top picks. We still need playmakers and impact players. Weeden will not make any impact this season.
With the spectre of switching over to a 4-3, we might be drafting defense again to get a true MLB and cover corners.
Take a project QB with a mid level pick 4-6, and sign a better veteran back up.
Weeden would be a reach with the (est) 39th pick.
Just my .02

I'd rather scoop Kellen Moore in the later rounds and develop him. I agree with Langer though, another weapon on offense or a pass rusher would be ideal.

Glad to see some people actually thinking on this forum. I so sick of reading about giving up everything this year to get our franchise qb. The only franchise qb coming out is luck. RGIII is a question mark, IMO. I am tired of our qb situation as well, but you can't go all in for what is not available. Getting some weapons and filling other holes is our only option right now. I do like Weeden, however. If he is available in the 2nd, I would be ok with trading our 2nd for a lower 2nd and another pick and possibly grabbing him, but this is not the year we get our franchise qb, at least not one who will be ready in the near future.

I would rather supply Moore with additional weapons(Blackmon or Richardson) and beef up our secondary(Claiborne) and/or pass rush with our top picks. We still need playmakers and impact players. Weeden will not make any impact this season.
With the spectre of switching over to a 4-3, we might be drafting defense again to get a true MLB and cover corners.
Take a project QB with a mid level pick 4-6, and sign a better veteran back up.
Weeden would be a reach with the (est) 39th pick.
Just my .02

wow, no OL? You dont want to find the future at RT? G? I sure do. That is our biggest weakness. I hear ya on the Db, pass rusher, but high powered offenses done need big name WR's. They just have four to five guys who know how to get open and catch the ball and run.

We need to set up our OL as great and get the future QB. That is what will make us great.

Weeden makes no sense in round 2 you dont spend second round picks on qb's that will be 29 by the fifth game of this year

Weeden is the "beer goggles" pick ... its 12:59am at the Draft Day bar, we're horny ... & now he's lookin' HOT!! :lol2:

wow, no OL? You dont want to find the future at RT? G? I sure do. That is our biggest weakness. I hear ya on the Db, pass rusher, but high powered offenses done need big name WR's. They just have four to five guys who know how to get open and catch the ball and run.

We need to set up our OL as great and get the future QB. That is what will make us great.

I understand your point, but a talent like WR Blackmon, RB Richardson, or DB Claiborne would upgrade each of those positions. One of those guys should be available when we pick.
We can double down on RG and RT later in the draft or pick up some decent free agents to fill the hole.
Plus we have some of the OL guys that were out for the season coming back.
We may be in the market for a true MLB if we switch to the 4-3 if Fisher signs.
Bell is getting older, and the other safety is a committee. We have needs there too.

Back
Top Bottom