Answer to the most-asked draft question: No. Tavon Austin Related. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Answer to the most-asked draft question: No. Tavon Austin Related.

I think we're all familiar with the Parcells/Ireland prototype thing. But as we all know, they occasionally DO deviate from it. While Pat White didn't work out for us, they deviated from their prototype rules in order to select a player they believed perfectly fit their offensive scheme.

The bottom line is does Philbin believe Tavon Austin is a vital cog in his offensive vision? We know he has a role in the offense for a Randall Cobb type of player. The question is whether that particular piece of the offense is viewed (by Philbin) as a necessity or luxury, and how well does Tavon Austin's skillset fit into that role as compared to other options. We know Ireland buys into Philbin's offensive vision. If Philbin is hot on what Austin specifically can do for this offense, Austin will be the pick.

Yes, Ireland's previous track record and everything we know about how he operates indicates he won't draft Austin. But he's not necessarily being left to his own devices.

Pat White was not drafted to play a position for our offense. He was drafted for a specific package in which his height wasnt to much of a consideration. In order to do the job we drafted him for he didnt need to be 6'4. And regardless, it failed. Hugely. What do you think Ireland took from that lesson? That it was right to deviate from his philosophy or wrong?

I havnt seen any indication that Ireland has changed his standards for Philbin. In fact, both seem to agree with going after size/build prototype. Philbin himself spent most of his career as an offensive line coach and didnt seem to object to drafting a right tackle with our second round pick, despite their being wideouts available who would have fit his "scheme". What did we do on offense this offseason? Bring in two 6'0 receivers and a 6'2 tight end.
As for Ireland no longer following Parcells model: during the "Parcells years" we spent a first and third round pick on offensive linemen. The last 2 years weve spent a first and second round pick on offensive linemen. Its mind boggling people cant make the connection between the two "eras"..despite the fact that its a complete myth that Ireland had no role in our front office his first 3 years of receiving pay checks.

If Ireland didnt change his requirements for 2012, he probably wont change them for 2013. Its not impossible he will draft Austin, but it would be totally and completely out of character for him to do so. And if he does, it probably wont be because of Philbin. It will most likely be because his seat is hotter then we've been led to believe and he knows we have to sell some tickets.

I guess a quick way to look at it is to ask yourself, "Are the top players in the league at their position: PROTOTYPICAL SIZE?"

Top Wide Receivers:

Calvin Johnson-Yes
Larry Fitz-Yes
Andre Johnson-Yes
Brandon Marshall-Yes
Dez Bryant-Yes
A.J. Green-Yes
Julio Jones-Yes
Roddy White-Yes
Victor Cruz-??

then there is Philbin typical size 6'0 205 (ryan swope)

College level talent doesnt always translate well to the NFL. In the case of Tavon Austin, I do not see him being much of an Xfactor, just based on his size. He is EXTREMELY quick, but when the bigboys line up on the other side of him...I doubt his confidence and decisiveness are equal to what he showed at WVU.

Life in the NFL for Tavon will be much like SU in the bowl game. SU had 3 weeks to study Austin and the offense and while Austin still made first downs and had some nice pass plays, none were any wow factor plays.

They were waiting for him when he lined up at RB (which he prob will not be doing). And covered him in zone to make sure he didnt go long on them. SU tightened up in the red zone.

I keep harping on the SU game because Marone was a pro coach and knows how to gameplan and adjust the game at half. That is what life is like in the pros. Ted Ginn's highlight reel is what everyone was wowed by and Tavon Austin and Cordorelle Patterson are big highlight reels where they excelled at the college level on end arounds, as RB's, and special teams.

I give Austin more kudos as a WR though. I do think he could be a nice slot reciever where he is coming in off the bench, where the defense is unaware of him until he makes the big play. Once he does that though, the league will begin preperations to gameplan against him every week.

That is why being a WR and making it in the NFL requires lots of work and dedication week to week and patience. The NFL will snuff you out and if they cant, they will just try to contain you and not give up the big play.

Austin would also be an excellent KR/PR right from the get go. The problem there is the NFL is getting away from kickoffs (safety bs) and made it easy to kick deep in endzone or just kick it short so the guy gets bombarded short.

Forgot about Percy Harvin, tavon Austin could end up being a lot like him and he's a matchup nightmare. He may be a "specialty " player. But all great teams need multiple playmakers in today's nfl and I think he's worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom