Anthony Fasano's role could be decreasing in Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anthony Fasano's role could be decreasing in Miami

Here is why I think he is a cut in August...
1. He is not a "Philbin guy"
2. Not sure he is a fit in this system
3. He is in the last year of his deal and could free up additional cap money/save the team cash
4. While contract talks have opened with other FA's on this team, they have not with him...

I will remember this thread/conversation in late August.

For the record, I am not a Fasano hater. I think he has been pretty good. I am just making a prediction. We have to understand that Philbin's style of player is going to emerge around here like it or not. I do not think Fasano is a fit.

3. He is in the last year of his deal and could free up additional cap money/save the team cash
4. While contract talks have opened with other FA's on this team, they have not with him...

For the record, I am not a Fasano hater. I think he has been pretty good. I am just making a prediction. We have to understand that Philbin's style of player is going to emerge around here like it or not. I do not think Fasano is a fit.

The only one of your reasons that has any validity at all is #3....And that is because it's possible
he'll be traded.

How do you know he's not a "Philbin guy" ? We've got a whole roster full of dudes that
aren't "Philbin guys". How do you know he's not a fit for the system until he gets a chance
to be in the system? He's a decent pass catcher and blocker...Pretty much what you need
a tight end to do, and so far we haven't found anyone that can prove they can do it better
on the roster right now. Considering we'll probably keep three TEs, I'd bet he'd be one of
them.

Now, NEXT August? Hey, who knows? THIS August I think he's a lock.

Here's philbins thoughts on fasano, i know its mini camp coach speak but it sounds like he is the in the plans for this season
“He caught the ball well and found a way to get open. I don’t know what his (40-yard dash) time is, but he found a way to find seams in the coverage and he has some instincts as a route runner.

“He has very good hands; we like the way he catches the football and finds a way to get open. (And) he can block on the line of scrimmage. He’s going to be a good player and I’m looking forward to watching his development.”

If Fasano doesn't have a strong solid year, then he will be offered what his value is , like he gets now, he will accept that or hit the road in 2013.
We've got too many raw, unproven TE's to dump him this year. A few weeks of training camp and 4 preseason games wont be enough for those young guys to push Fasano out the door.

Fasano is the only go-to receiver for a TD on the team ... can't recall any others at the moment.

Fasano is top five all round te.He isnt the seam threat or very flashy,but he is a accomplished blocker,chain mover and has dependable hands.He isnt going anywhere.

Here's a video from 2011 illustrating why I think Anthony Fasano's footprint on the deep middle passing game should actually INCREASE in 2011...rather than decrease, as put forward by Brian Biggane.

[video=youtube;NaSwzX9YMWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSwzX9YMWg[/video]

Fact of the matter is, after Chad Pennington left the field, and until Matt Moore came back, we did not have a quarterback that could reliably place those up-and-down throws down the seam in the middle of the field. Henne threw a few nice ones before getting injured, but he also struggled on some of them this year, and those passes were practically non-existent from 2009 to 2010. You can blame Dan Henning, and that would be an accurate assessment of blame, but not a complete assessment. Henning was only reacting to the strengths and weaknesses of his quarterback. He called for plenty of those seam passes to Fasano and David Martin in 2008 (just as many to Fasano as Martin, mind you)...but avoided them like PLAGUE from 2009 to 2010.

I will disappointed in my boy Fasano if this happens, I actually think his year will be on a 500 to 600 yard pace if he performs like he should. I am a Fasano supporter, I think this offense actually fits him like a glove. Fasano is a blocker and possession receiver which fits the definition of a west coast TE perfectly.

Clay and Egnew fill a roll more like Craig in the WCO, instead of the hybrid FB/RB Craig played the position has evolved to the hybrid TE/RB style player. Possession and running the ball is still a basic fundamental of the west coast and Fasano fills that TE roll perfectly.

I'm going to have to disagree, with people saying Egnew struggling, and Les Brown not showing much I don't think they would drop Fasano at all. Depending on how Fasano and Clay do this year I think it will tell if he comes back next year or not.

Personally I'd be disappointed if his production went down. Think about it, really on our receiving corps I can think of 3 true NFL caliber WRs. That's it and we can't expect them to run all the short routes. Why not get more use of a guy who can get open and catch the ball over the middle consistently? Weird article. I thought TEs can be very effective in the WCO.

exactly. get that man out into some space, and double his chances to catch the ball. what's the worst that can happen? drop a few? the best?

well double these numbers...

32 receptions, 451 yards, 5 tds.

and keep his 14.1 Yard per reception.

Dude- there's a reason why we got Charles Clay and now Michael Egnew- we need seam busting TE's who can run. I like Fasano quite a bit, but he's the blocking beast of the three, not a receiving weapon like Gronk or Hernandez- or anything close to those two. Far more pedestrian. I'll be surprised if his numbers go up significantly. He's a good all around TE, but he doesn't have that much burst and he can't really split the middle of the field effectively. Ergo Clay and Egnew.

I like Fasano, and hope he can reach his potential with this new wide open O

Back
Top Bottom