Anthony Steen doing 'whatever's best for the team' in Miami Dolphins' offensive line

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 7, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  2. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

well he has his weaknesses, however, doesn't matter how good a player is if they are always injured. /sigh. our line situation looks likely to be our weakness again.

Digital and fishfanmiami like this.
  3. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

I like the depth of this line, but C and both guard spots are tenuous for the starters. Still though, having guys like Urbik, Steen, Young, and the rookie dude is pretty solid for depth, much better than we've had in years past. If Tunsil can become the dominant LT he was projected to be and if Pouncey can miraculously stay healthy, this line can be well above average in this league. Obviously Pouncey's health is the huge question, but nobody knows whats really going on there, we're all just guessing and being pessimistic without any true medical knowledge of his situation in reality.

4. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm worried about our OL. I have a low amount of faith in Bushrod's run blocking, low faith in Larsen in general, and am increasingly worried about Pouncey's health. At best we can describe James' play as a mixed bag.

Tunsil is the only one I'm confident about. I have hope for Asiata, but depending on a 5th round rookie to save an OL doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

We should have spent some money on at least one interior OL in free agency. I said it last year. I said it at the beginning, middle and end of this off-season. And I continue to be both amazed and frustrated in our inability to properly address this problem. Fingers crossed.

JakeemThe Dream, miamiron and gunn34 like this.
  5. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I'm interested to see how Steen looks this year. He came out of nowhere last year and impressed.
    He was pretty good his first few starts, but then was injured.
    I heard him in an interview say that he played through the pain because he felt his roster spot was precarious.
    His play dropped off after the injury, but now that he's healthy I think with a year under his belt he will be better this season. I wouldn't discount him.

6. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Well we keep bringing in mediocre players every year and do a patchwork job for our o-line, so it's no wonder our line sucks. Once and for all we need to draft a few o-linemen especially early and build a first rate group.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  7. DefensiveEnd76

So we have a broken down injury prone center with Pouncey, 2 mediocre journeymen in Bushrod and Larsen at guard and a finesse underpowered tackle in James. Not much to get excited about.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  8. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

I dont think Gase would bring in Larsen, someone he knows, without thinking they can be successful, and I just hope the rookie comes in and takes LG for the next ten years...

9. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Keep the faith bro!

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  10. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I know it wouldn't the have been the sexy thing to do in the draft, but I can not believe they did not address O-Line before the 5th rd. To have such a glaring need and to just dismiss it is more than frustrating. Everything about the offense branches out from O-Line play. The QB can not pass the ball w/o the O-Line protecting and running game can not get going w/o blocking.:wall

11. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Forget the 5th round. It should have been handled, once and for all, in free agency. Much less mystery and chance for Dallas Thomas with proven players. This guard dilemma has been going on for a few decades, mind you. The dolphins, like clockwork, went another direction. It was still a phenomenal draft but how they again shrugged off the reason this team has been brutal to watch on offense is staggering.

It will be a gift from the gods if interior line play isn't the Achilles heel of this team. At least the depth is palatable when compared to previous years, but that group doesn't even sniff inspiring confidence.

But, like every year, I'll be told to 'wait until games are played before I make up my mind', and round and round she goes.

12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Didn't know his story coming into the league. Great attitude, coming into his prime along with Asiata.

I will never bemoan progress when it comes to our offensive line. I own a mansion, und a yacht...Again!

I will never bemoan progress when it comes to our offensive line. I own a mansion, und a yacht...Again!

13. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin Well-Known Member

ahha! you know, you just might be on to something there!

14. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

Once and for all? You realize 3 of our starters we took in the first round? We also have spent so many picks on guards in recent years that didn't pan out. Last season We cut a 2nd 3rd and a 5th round guard we drafted in the past 3 years. You only have so many draft picks.

I agree the o-line has room to grow, mainly at G. What I don't agree with is how eveyone just expects to magically fix it. There are limited resources, I.E. salary cap, 7 draft picks, so you can't fix everything at once. Our defense needed a complete overhaul and needed every draft pick and every free agent we signed. I liked Lamp but grabbing DE in round 1 was a 100x more important. This was a really bad off season for free agent o-line. Jake freaking Joekel got a boat load of money, and he was a complete flame out. Zeiter and and Leary were he only slam dunks at G, but it would have cost us 10 million per year to grab either. That's LT money, and as we could afford it this year we could not next and years after.

Then the Mike Pouncey dilemma. He hand cuffed us, as a he has a huge salary, and he is a game changer if healthy. Last season he missed 11 games, but before that he has only missed 8 games 5 years. Do you cut ties with a top 3 center in the NFL to get a cheaper more reliable, but less dominant player? Or do you give him one more season to see if he can stay on the field? I think Gase made he right call as it is just too soon to give up on an all world talent like Pouncey, and if he can stay healthy this group will be better than average.

Atila likes this.
  15. DefensiveEnd76

I would bet a years salary that Pouncey won't last the season. No way in hell. We'll be lucky to have him for 12 games.

insomnia411 and DKphin like this.
  16. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

My eye is on Asiata

Digital likes this.
  17. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

Me too. Would love it if he solidifies a Guard spot early on.

18. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Magically fix? In your defense of the Phins, you deflect the problem.

Interior oline play has been a issue for a decade plus. Tunsil last year was the band aid. This year...

19. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

I know it's an arbitrary website, but you know Larsen was a higher ranked G last year than Tunsil?

Pandarilla likes this.
  20. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

Good post.

Everyone complaining and bitching with no plan, no hindsight, no real reasoning. They drafted Tunsil in the 1st last season... Asiata was drafted this year in the 5th when apparently a lot of you had him with a 2nd or 3rd round grade. In terms of free agency, what did you want them to do? Pay $10mil/year for the guys available? I am happy they didn't.

They were handcuffed at center this season - you all bitching know this, right? But we weren't handcuffed in that we are gambling and hoping he stays healthy... we are handcuffed because of money, not because of his talent. We had to give Pouncey a chance this season because it wouldn't have made sense from a money standpoint to cut him this year, the dead money would be ridiculous this year. Next year he comes off the books if he can't stay healthy.

So we have both our tackles pretty much set and we just talked about why we wouldn't move on from Pouncey in 2017, so back to the other two positions guard. As I said, free agency guard money was ridiculous and it was the right move to not overpay for those guys. As a result we got Larsen, who I have openly been much higher on than pretty much anyone here (hopefully I'm right), and we get Bushrod back to hopefully play better in his 2nd time ever at guard... we also drafted a guard that you were all very high on coming into the draft.

So everyone bitching - what exactly did you expect them to do differently? I am not expecting big things from this OL because I don't expect Pouncey to play very much which will leave a big hole in the middle... but I also realize they weren't going to reasonably address 4-5 different spots effectively in one offseason and it would NOT have made sense to address the center position this offseason. I think we're making more good moves than bad, and adding more talent than losing. At this point, what more can we ask?

PhinsAAA and TannDaMan17 like this.
  21. DefensiveEnd76

There's a reason why our o-line is ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league.

22. Pandarilla

Did not know, thanks. If he truly is better than Tunsil at guard, we will all be overjoyed. 'Cause we expect Tunsil to be better than Albert.

I did a piece on Jake Long that showed unequivocally through pictures on a timeline the primadonnification process Miami has on linemen. First photo he looked like a lumberjack in fight club. It ended with beautiful, flowing locks that would make you say, "Why should I even bother to have hair, when he's got hair like that!" (bonus points if anyone can tell me what movie I stole that line from).

Point is, the vibe in Miami doesn't help our big uglies one bit.

23. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Thats not even a fair bet lol

Here's to hoping next year we can grab some young OL. We should draft / sign a new guard and center. and then another guard, probably.. we shall see how Larsen or Asiata do.

24. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

Which site stated that nonsense?

We'll have died and will be watching the games from Elysium.

Larsen will be serviceable and hopefully unnoticeable. He's nothing special but not a bum.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Pandarilla likes this.
  25. Pandarilla

I
    I call dibs on the healing machine... eff Matt Damon and his Latino uprising, lol.

26. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

Sorry forgot to mention the website, its Pro Football Focus. Tunsil had a grade of 70.6 while Larsen had a grade of 72.8. Tunsil was rated in the 60s of all starting G last year while Larsen was in the 40s. I know this site isn't sacred, but it shows there will not be a big down grade at G from Tunsil to Larsen. That makes sense as Tunsil has never played G in his life, and Ted Larsen has been a starting NFL guard for 7 seasons. I don't know why there is so much hate for Ted on this site. I feel like its mostly based in the fact his last name isn't Zeiter or Leary. I am willing to give this guy a chance. If he outplays Asiatta, Ubrick, and Steen, then there is a good chance he will have a good season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ted-larsen/5728

Pandarilla and TannDaMan17 like this.
  27. Sons Of Shula

Thanks, but I figured it might be PFF. I wouldn't get your hopes up based on their crap analysis. Larsen will hopefully remain unnoticeable and that's probably the best case scenario we can hope to get from him.

28. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

How many sacks were attributed to Larson ? Tunsil was responsible for one I believe which regardless of how PFF rated him was outstanding.

29. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

.5, so that is pretty good, but sack's don't define G play unless you give up a lot. Most sacks come from outside, and even when it comes from a DT its usually because the outside forced the QB to step up in a sack. Where Tunsil struggled was run blocking, and that is what defines G play. Guys that get to the 2nd level consistently to take on LBs after chipping a DT are guys who are stand out Gs.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=24181

30. Sons Of Shula

Chicago had 4 different QB's and 28 total sacks but Larsen was only credited with a half?

Not saying it's true or false, but that's definitely something I'm going to have to see for myself later.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  31. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

Here's one thing that I think may benefit Miami in terms of adding a quality G or C prior to the start of the regular season. I was unaware of this until recently, but the NFL changed the way teams cut players to get to (53), by making it all one day (Sept 3) instead of the additional 2 cut days prior. Many teams, Miami included, will learn about new and young players and end up cutting proven players to save $, build for the future, etc., and having more time to do so will help Miami's cause here. It may be wishful thinking, but if you're targeted in on 1 or 2 positions you need to improve (at least depth), I think you stand a great chance at adding valuable depth on Sept 3, 2017. The theory (according to the guys on NFL radio) is teams will have more time to evaluate guys they are unsure of - and if it saves them $ to keep them and say goodbye to the veteran, they'll have more time to confirm it's a good decision. Not sure if that all makes sense, but bottom line, I can see Miami adding someone pretty decent on the single cut down day.

BSQ likes this.
  32. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Versatility is the key to being a backup offensive lineman in this league. He should get a lot of playing time with the injury questions we have at guard and center.

33. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

That's very good if accurate. Yea Tunsil was a tackle playing guard but at least he keep our QB on his feet so i give him credit for that. He should ready shine at LT his natural position. Remember the guys he replaced at guard ? Pure garbage.

34. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

8 games... he was Kyle Long's backup. Long went down with a nasty ankle injury mid-season.

Digital and Sons Of Shula like this.
  35. Sons Of Shula

Ah, yes. Thanks. :thumbsup I had forgotten as that was a reason I had reviewed more tape of him in Arizona & Tampa than I did of Chicago.

36. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

So .5 and he played 8 games double that and it's 1 sack. Not really a big deal. The point is Ryan should have time to pass, and there won't be much of a drop off if any at LG. I know he won't make the probowl, but if he is average to above average we will be fine.

37. phazer

phazer Well-Known Member

All we need is average, especially with all talent we have across the board on O

JakeemThe Dream and TannDaMan17 like this.
  38. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

If Larsens is average to above average and plays every game in addition to Tunsil playing all the games at LT that in and of itself will be a huge upgrade. I also expect Bushrod to have a better season than last, while playing every game. Continuity is so important for an OL's performance. The day we get consistency from the Center position is the day our OL catapults into the top 15.

39. DefensiveEnd76

Yeah lets be happy with mere mediocre o-linemen. SMH

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  40. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

we've been working on our OL for what??? It seems like since the days of Larry Little!

It's the hallmark of a pretender -- they can never muster the resources to solve their core problems.

Yea. Perhaps a tad overstated. And I hope so. But still.......... Relying of Pouncy is akin to lookin for a Jesus aberration in Davie.

Oh I forgot -- they have those all the time there....