Anthony Steen doing 'whatever's best for the team' in Miami Dolphins' offensive line | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anthony Steen doing 'whatever's best for the team' in Miami Dolphins' offensive line

Once and for all? You realize 3 of our starters we took in the first round? We also have spent so many picks on guards in recent years that didn't pan out. Last season We cut a 2nd 3rd and a 5th round guard we drafted in the past 3 years. You only have so many draft picks.

I agree the o-line has room to grow, mainly at G. What I don't agree with is how eveyone just expects to magically fix it. There are limited resources, I.E. salary cap, 7 draft picks, so you can't fix everything at once. Our defense needed a complete overhaul and needed every draft pick and every free agent we signed. I liked Lamp but grabbing DE in round 1 was a 100x more important. This was a really bad off season for free agent o-line. Jake freaking Joekel got a boat load of money, and he was a complete flame out. Zeiter and and Leary were he only slam dunks at G, but it would have cost us 10 million per year to grab either. That's LT money, and as we could afford it this year we could not next and years after.

Then the Mike Pouncey dilemma. He hand cuffed us, as a he has a huge salary, and he is a game changer if healthy. Last season he missed 11 games, but before that he has only missed 8 games 5 years. Do you cut ties with a top 3 center in the NFL to get a cheaper more reliable, but less dominant player? Or do you give him one more season to see if he can stay on the field? I think Gase made he right call as it is just too soon to give up on an all world talent like Pouncey, and if he can stay healthy this group will be better than average.

Magically fix? In your defense of the Phins, you deflect the problem.

Interior oline play has been a issue for a decade plus. Tunsil last year was the band aid. This year...

Magically fix? In your defense of the Phins, you deflect the problem.

Interior oline play has been a issue for a decade plus. Tunsil last year was the band aid. This year...

I know it's an arbitrary website, but you know Larsen was a higher ranked G last year than Tunsil?

Once and for all? You realize 3 of our starters we took in the first round? We also have spent so many picks on guards in recent years that didn't pan out. Last season We cut a 2nd 3rd and a 5th round guard we drafted in the past 3 years. You only have so many draft picks.

I agree the o-line has room to grow, mainly at G. What I don't agree with is how eveyone just expects to magically fix it. There are limited resources, I.E. salary cap, 7 draft picks, so you can't fix everything at once. Our defense needed a complete overhaul and needed every draft pick and every free agent we signed. I liked Lamp but grabbing DE in round 1 was a 100x more important. This was a really bad off season for free agent o-line. Jake freaking Joekel got a boat load of money, and he was a complete flame out. Zeiter and and Leary were he only slam dunks at G, but it would have cost us 10 million per year to grab either. That's LT money, and as we could afford it this year we could not next and years after.

Then the Mike Pouncey dilemma. He hand cuffed us, as a he has a huge salary, and he is a game changer if healthy. Last season he missed 11 games, but before that he has only missed 8 games 5 years. Do you cut ties with a top 3 center in the NFL to get a cheaper more reliable, but less dominant player? Or do you give him one more season to see if he can stay on the field? I think Gase made he right call as it is just too soon to give up on an all world talent like Pouncey, and if he can stay healthy this group will be better than average.

Good post.

Everyone complaining and bitching with no plan, no hindsight, no real reasoning. They drafted Tunsil in the 1st last season... Asiata was drafted this year in the 5th when apparently a lot of you had him with a 2nd or 3rd round grade. In terms of free agency, what did you want them to do? Pay $10mil/year for the guys available? I am happy they didn't.

They were handcuffed at center this season - you all bitching know this, right? But we weren't handcuffed in that we are gambling and hoping he stays healthy... we are handcuffed because of money, not because of his talent. We had to give Pouncey a chance this season because it wouldn't have made sense from a money standpoint to cut him this year, the dead money would be ridiculous this year. Next year he comes off the books if he can't stay healthy.

So we have both our tackles pretty much set and we just talked about why we wouldn't move on from Pouncey in 2017, so back to the other two positions guard. As I said, free agency guard money was ridiculous and it was the right move to not overpay for those guys. As a result we got Larsen, who I have openly been much higher on than pretty much anyone here (hopefully I'm right), and we get Bushrod back to hopefully play better in his 2nd time ever at guard... we also drafted a guard that you were all very high on coming into the draft.

So everyone bitching - what exactly did you expect them to do differently? I am not expecting big things from this OL because I don't expect Pouncey to play very much which will leave a big hole in the middle... but I also realize they weren't going to reasonably address 4-5 different spots effectively in one offseason and it would NOT have made sense to address the center position this offseason. I think we're making more good moves than bad, and adding more talent than losing. At this point, what more can we ask?

I know it's an arbitrary website, but you know Larsen was a higher ranked G last year than Tunsil?

Did not know, thanks. If he truly is better than Tunsil at guard, we will all be overjoyed. 'Cause we expect Tunsil to be better than Albert.

I did a piece on Jake Long that showed unequivocally through pictures on a timeline the primadonnification process Miami has on linemen. First photo he looked like a lumberjack in fight club. It ended with beautiful, flowing locks that would make you say, "Why should I even bother to have hair, when he's got hair like that!" (bonus points if anyone can tell me what movie I stole that line from).

Point is, the vibe in Miami doesn't help our big uglies one bit.

I would bet a years salary that Pouncey won't last the season. No way in hell. We'll be lucky to have him for 12 games.

Thats not even a fair bet lol

Here's to hoping next year we can grab some young OL. We should draft / sign a new guard and center. and then another guard, probably.. we shall see how Larsen or Asiata do.

Which site stated that nonsense?

Did not know, thanks. If he truly is better than Tunsil at guard, we will all be overjoyed.

We'll have died and will be watching the games from Elysium.

Larsen will be serviceable and hopefully unnoticeable. He's nothing special but not a bum.

Last edited:
I

Larsen will be serviceable and hopefully unnoticeable. He's nothing special but not a bum.

I call dibs on the healing machine... eff Matt Damon and his Latino uprising, lol.

Sorry forgot to mention the website, its Pro Football Focus. Tunsil had a grade of 70.6 while Larsen had a grade of 72.8. Tunsil was rated in the 60s of all starting G last year while Larsen was in the 40s. I know this site isn't sacred, but it shows there will not be a big down grade at G from Tunsil to Larsen. That makes sense as Tunsil has never played G in his life, and Ted Larsen has been a starting NFL guard for 7 seasons. I don't know why there is so much hate for Ted on this site. I feel like its mostly based in the fact his last name isn't Zeiter or Leary. I am willing to give this guy a chance. If he outplays Asiatta, Ubrick, and Steen, then there is a good chance he will have a good season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ted-larsen/5728

Sorry forgot to mention the website, its Pro Football Focus. Tunsil had a grade of 70.6 while Larsen had a grade of 72.8. Tunsil was rated in the 60s of all starting G last year while Larsen was in the 40s. I know this site isn't sacred, but it shows there will not be a big down grade at G from Tunsil to Larsen. That makes sense as Tunsil has never played G in his life, and Ted Larsen has been a starting NFL guard for 7 seasons. I don't know why there is so much hate for Ted on this site. I feel like its mostly based in the fact his last name isn't Zeiter or Leary. I am willing to give this guy a chance. If he outplays Asiatta, Ubrick, and Steen, then there is a good chance he will have a good season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ted-larsen/5728

Thanks, but I figured it might be PFF. I wouldn't get your hopes up based on their crap analysis. Larsen will hopefully remain unnoticeable and that's probably the best case scenario we can hope to get from him.

How many sacks were attributed to Larson ? Tunsil was responsible for one I believe which regardless of how PFF rated him was outstanding.

How many sacks were attributed to Larson ? Tunsil was responsible for one I believe which regardless of how PFF rated him was outstanding.
.5, so that is pretty good, but sack's don't define G play unless you give up a lot. Most sacks come from outside, and even when it comes from a DT its usually because the outside forced the QB to step up in a sack. Where Tunsil struggled was run blocking, and that is what defines G play. Guys that get to the 2nd level consistently to take on LBs after chipping a DT are guys who are stand out Gs.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=24181

Back
Top Bottom