Any players catch your eye? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any players catch your eye?

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
So were there any players in the bowl games that really peaked your interest? I still like the thought of Mason Rudolph backing up Tannehill, but I'm not sure what round I would be willing to pull the trigger. I also worry that it might take him a while to learn an NFL system coming from the simple read one he played in at OK State. I have to keep telling myself just because he performed well in the OK State system doesn't mean he wouldn't have been successful in a more NFL-ready offense.

Really like Darius Guice's combination of speed and heart. Not the biggest back, but 5'11 215 he still runs hard inside.

Quinton Nelson is a beast at guard, but not sure I want to see the team draft him as early as it will take to get him.

All of the tight end prospects seemed ok to me. None of them looked game changers, just steady contributors.

Looks like another solid cornerback class, but with Howard, Tankersly and Lippett returning I think I'm more interested in adding a solid vet to the mix in free agency instead of more youth.

I was eager to watch the Oklahoma-Georgia game. I was hoping to see Mark Andrews do more but the game didn't play out that way. The constant 2nd half pressure that Mayfield was under didn't let Andrews have much impact when they needed it. LT Orlando Brown Jr. certainly helped his case to be a top 15 pick as did Georgia's Roquan Smith.

I don't consider RB a high enough need to be one of our primary picks but man I'd love to have Sony Michel on my team. He has a similar skill set to Drake's which is that of a complete back. Would be nice to have two of them.

Roquan Smith.... He had a pretty absent first half, but made some plays late including that huge hit that prevented a first down in OT. I've seen enough of him this season to justify my prayers that he's on the board at #11.

I don't think MIami looks running back early, but if Smith is gone and Barkley or Guice are still on the board those guys would be hard to pass up.

Agree with OP that Nelson is really impressive, but will the Dolphins pick a guard at #11?

First round:
Q. Nelson is intriguing, even as a Guard. If he is the next Zach Martin, you have an all-Pro guard that can open run lanes and pass block with the best of them. Not a sexy pick, but we have been plagued with poor interior play for a while now.
R. Smith looks like a good WOLB at the next level, but would the Dolphins pull the plug on Kiko after giving him that huge deal?
Don't see Smith being a SOLB to start off and we know Kiko struggles taking on any blocks.

Josh Allen at QB, if he falls, is tempting.

Leighton Vander Esch – LB in day 2 could be a guy to watch. Thumper at LB, aka not afraid to take on blockers. 6'4, 240.
141 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 picks, and forced four fumbles

Hayden Hurst – TE – South Carolina

Josh Allen is a true wild card. If he falls to 11 we better be on the phone with Arizona and Jacksonville. He's a talented guy for sure, that arm is jaw dropping. I suspect Elway falls in love with him and he goes 5th.

I'd rather the Broncos land Allen and Mayfield goes to the Jets, than vice versa.

First round:
Q. Nelson is intriguing, even as a Guard. If he is the next Zach Martin, you have an all-Pro guard that can open run lanes and pass block with the best of them. Not a sexy pick, but we have been plagued with poor interior play for a while now.
R. Smith looks like a good WOLB at the next level, but would the Dolphins pull the plug on Kiko after giving him that huge deal?
Don't see Smith being a SOLB to start off and we know Kiko struggles taking on any blocks.

Josh Allen at QB, if he falls, is tempting.

Leighton Vander Esch – LB in day 2 could be a guy to watch. Thumper at LB, aka not afraid to take on blockers. 6'4, 240.
141 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 picks, and forced four fumbles

Hayden Hurst – TE – South Carolina
This right here. Smith looked good in the 2nd half but if you draft him at 11 you have to start him. RM will start inside but you can't have Smith AND kiko both starting as they'd run the football on us all day long, specially since Harris and Wake are not good against the run so you'd have to bench Kiko. Maybe Anthony at strong? That stupid contract they gave to Kiko is hurting us. We need a LB that can cover but that LB has to replace kiko.....not play next to him

Ozzy rules!!

People are freaking out about Smith. Why weren't you guys freaking about Foster last year? Definite red flags but he was the superior player ... and he got all the way to 29. But Smith getting to 11 is unlikely? Doesn't exactly speak volumes about this class. I've seen him get overpowered too much to get all tingley about using a top 11 pick on him. And he might even get smaller after the combine is done with him. Far from safe bet.

I thought all of Foster, Davis, McMillan, and Cunningham were solid first round options for us last draft. I could even be talked into Watt, but didn't love it. I don't trust any of this crop with that first pick. I'll take Moore or Edmunds a round or 2 later and be better off. This is looking like a value draft for LB ... to me, anyways.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do with that first rounder. This class is screaming corner but I don't love the first round need there. End also comes to mind but there will be value dropping with this deep class ... think Everson Griffen falling to the Vikings. Sneaky deep end class. There's gonna be a cornfed that's worth it but using top picks on olinemen has gotten us exactly nowhere. Need a special player there. If Landry leaves it's gonna be hard for people to talk me out of Sutton. I don't think I could pass on Allen if he fell. **** like that will haunt you for decades.

No easy choices this time around. Fun fun.

Last edited:
People are freaking out about Smith. Why weren't you guys freaking about Foster last year? Definite red flags but he was the superior player ... and he got all the way to 29. But Smith getting to 11 is unlikely? Doesn't exactly speak volumes about this class. I've seen him get overpowered too much to get all tingley about using a top 11 pick on him. And he might even get smaller after the combine is done with him. Far from safe bet.

I thought all of Foster, Davis, McMillan, and Cunningham were solid first round options for us last draft. I could even be talked into Watt, but didn't love it. I don't trust any of this crop with that first pick. I'll take Moore or Edmunds a round or 2 later and be better off. This is looking like a value draft for LB ... to me, anyways.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do with that first rounder. This class is screaming corner but I don't love the first round need there. End also comes to mind but there will be value dropping with this deep class ... think Everson Griffen falling to the Vikings. Sneaky deep end class. There's gonna be a cornfed that's worth it but using top picks on olinemen has gotten us exactly nowhere. Need a special player there. If Landry leaves it's gonna be hard for people to talk me out of Sutton. I don't think I could pass on Allen if he fell. **** like that will haunt you for decades.

No easy choices this time around. Fun fun.
Thank you Mr. Dole, you pointed out the exact things about Roquon Smith that has me a little concerned about him. I don’t doubt his talent, I doubt his position at the NFL, he just too small to play ILB at the pro level. He gets washed out more than you’d like for a guy with his talent. In the bowl game last night it was a tale of 2 half’s for him. That ain’t gonna fly on Sunday’s. He needs to be a WOLB.

Thank you Mr. Dole, you pointed out the exact things about Roquon Smith that has me a little concerned about him. I don’t doubt his talent, I doubt his position at the NFL, he just too small to play ILB at the pro level. He gets washed out more than you’d like for a guy with his talent. In the bowl game last night it was a tale of 2 half’s for him. That ain’t gonna fly on Sunday’s. He needs to be a WOLB.
And it would be fine for him to be the weak side lb. we need someone in the worst way who can cover tight ends. kick Kiko to the curb, i supported him for awhile but I can’t anymore. Terrible to give him that contract and not just let him play on the tender

Both he and Jefferson project best as WLB 4-3 LBers, IMO. I'll wait to see how they test but I'm leaning Jefferson between the two.

The question becomes is a WLB the best thing the dolphins can do at 11? I'll take Moore over either of them and I bet he can be had in the 3rd. Maybe later. That's how I look at it, at least.

I’m tired of seeing this team get chewed up by TE’s so sign me up for Roquan Smith. With Raekwon McMillan back paired with Roquan perhaps we could turn a weakness into a strength.

If not him I’d be fine with a beast OL like Nelson.

And potentially a high ceiling QB in that slot if one falls, but I don’t think that opportunity will be there.

Another option would be that safety from FSU. That’s pretty much my list.

Back
Top Bottom