Any serious replies welcome.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any serious replies welcome....

mwestberry

Club Member
Reaction score
Is there any guess (speculation) on how many players we could purge from our roster without serious cap implications?

Is there anybody out there who thinks it would be feasible to want to trade out of the first round and acquire multiple 2nd round picks?

Just curious if this would be a long term consideration for our team....given the "hope" we could add long term talent to positions of need at a reduced salary

That......is exactly what we should have done last year. This year it isn't feasible. Doesn't mean they can't trade down in the first if they get the right offer.

Is there anybody out there who thinks it would be feasible to want to trade out of the first round and acquire multiple 2nd round picks?

All very good questions, this being the most important.

We absoluelty should look to acquire extra picks and we are in a good spot to do it at 11, depending on how the qbs come off the board.

I am not sure we can snag an extra 2nd rounder this year but two 3rds (2018 and 2019) would be a good start.

Worst case scanario 4 qbs come off before we pick and a top 7 talent is available to us at 11.

No there isn't!
Anyway, Miami traded down the first and netted Odrick and Misi years ago. It is tempting, hey there's more picks... and people will redo the draft and show all the all pro talent that was passed on with the trade.
There is a thread of who could be cut or restructured to save money in the cap. Trading down are we losing out on the better talented player for players that may be less talented. Do we have the faith in the front office to hit on more draft picks?

With a QB heavy draft you are going to have a top 10 level talent on the defensive side of the ball end up at 11. We need more player with pro bowl potential...not more mid-level starters

No there isn't!
Anyway, Miami traded down the first and netted Odrick and Misi years ago. It is tempting, hey there's more picks... and people will redo the draft and show all the all pro talent that was passed on with the trade.

To your point, when they did this, they passed on Earl Thomas. And that wasn't a redo. I was sitting in my friend's living room, clamoring for the pick. They traded down, and I hung my head.

And my friend? Is a Seahawks fan. I just started drinking at that point when they nabbed him.

Yeah, I remember that. It was shocking, but that was the thought, trade back and get two good players (?) or take the guy there that you hope to be good.

And when they did this, they passed on Earl Thomas.
Yeah, I remember that. It was shocking, but that was the thought, trade back and get two good players (?) or take the guy there that you hope to be good.

And that's fair. Nobody is always right. Hell, I was excited about Matt Roth. But if a player who is almost universally lauded as an impact player drops into your lap, you don't trade down just for the sake of trading down.

Let's put it this way. Here are the following choices:

1) You get one player who has a 75% chance of making a huge impact on your team

2) You get two players, one who has a 50% chance of making a huge impact on your team, and one who has a 25% chance of making a huge impact on your team.

Which do you take? I take choice 1 every single time, unless my team is already established as dominant, and doesn't have all that many holes. But that's just me.

Do you think we could pull this off and stockpile more picks and have more hits on players then staying put where we are? I am just asking.

we will probably have a top 5ish talent sitting there at 11 (once Barkley and the QBs come off the board). in that case this would be the year to stay put and grab an elite prospect.

Jimmy Johnson was great at doing this and so is Bill Parcells. In fact considering that the Pats pick last for over the last 10 years following their draft blue print would be a great idea. They get next years picks from the Browns for example in the 2nd round plus a pick this year for like a 3rd round pick. They manage to aquire good players on this process. We have the wrong GM currently for this to happen unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom