Any thoughts on Devlin as backup QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any thoughts on Devlin as backup QB?

LDaniel7

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
The staff seemed pretty high on Devlin this off-season.

So, my question for knowledgeable Fin fans is this: What are your thoughts on entering the next season w. Devlin as number 2 on the depth chart, if MM goes somewhere else?

Philbin really seemed to like Devlin.

LD

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fins drafted or brought in some competition for RT just to keep him competitive and at the top of his game. I'm sure if Miami felt that strong about Devlin then he would've gotten a start in the preseason. Nothing to see there

Philbin absolutely loves Devlin and I do think it is very possible he will be the #2, or at least have a chance to compete for it. I do think Miami will try and re-sign Moore to be the #2, and I wouldn't be surprised if Moore tests the free agent market then comes back. But in the scenario that Moore leaves, I think Devlin will be the #2 and they will draft someone in the 5th or 6th round to be the #3 and push Devlin.

Philbin absolutely loves Devlin and I do think it is very possible he will be the #2, or at least have a chance to compete for it. I do think Miami will try and re-sign Moore to be the #2, and I wouldn't be surprised if Moore tests the free agent market then comes back. But in the scenario that Moore leaves, I think Devlin will be the #2 and they will draft someone in the 5th or 6th round to be the #3 and push Devlin.

^^ This

Yeah, I got thoughts. It is reckless to have Devlin as your #2.

sure he can b a #2 just as long as its not with the dolphins.come on man dude we need a vet

I have to agree! Ideally, your #2 should be someone with some experience under their belts.

Nick Foles, Kirk Cousints, TJ Yates, Marino, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, etc. never had experience and were #2. How are you going to get experience unless you get a chance to play? Besides, Devlin will be a great #2 (even evidenced by his preseason play last year, and hopefully they will give him more preseason opportunity in 2013); then when Tannehill sucks next year we can go to Devlin and start winning.

I like MM, don't get me wrong. I just think that some other team would love to have him starting...

And I would say that Devlin is untested and unsure, no doubt about it. But he garnered solid review from Philbin all off-season... and essentially made an injured Garrard even more expendable. So, although I agree that it would not be a good idea to have him as the 2nd, I would at least feel as comfortable w. Devlin as a 2 as with Garrard there. imo, Garrard has shown exactly what he is as a QB... and Devlin at least flashed the potential to be better than that Garrard-esque play.

LD

Nick Foles, Kirk Cousints, TJ Yates, Marino, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, etc. never had experience and were #2. How are you going to get experience unless you get a chance to play? Besides, Devlin will be a great #2 (even evidenced by his preseason play last year, and hopefully they will give him more preseason opportunity in 2013); then when Tannehill sucks next year we can go to Devlin and start winning.

Tannehill isn't going to suck next year, and especially not if he gets some talented WRs and TEs.

He might get hurt though, which raises the question of a good #2 QB.

LD

Philbin always talks about developing your own players. If Devlin has performed well thought this year in practice and in meetings, there no reason to think he cant become the #2. A 7th round draft pick in Matt Flynn did it in Green Bay under Philbin.

Also, if Miami didnt think it was possible Devlin could be a #2, then he wouldnt have been on the active roster all year. Most teams dont carry 3 QBs all year. They were obvioulsy afraid Devlin would be poached from our practice squad.

So you think Tannehill sucks, yet Devlin could be the next Tom Brady? THERE'S A REASON HE CAN'T BEAT OUT MATT MOORE.

Back
Top Bottom