Any thoughts on Devlin as backup QB?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LDaniel7, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The staff seemed pretty high on Devlin this off-season.

So, my question for knowledgeable Fin fans is this: What are your thoughts on entering the next season w. Devlin as number 2 on the depth chart, if MM goes somewhere else?

Philbin really seemed to like Devlin.

LD

2. MRPRESIDENT50

MRPRESIDENT50 Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fins drafted or brought in some competition for RT just to keep him competitive and at the top of his game. I'm sure if Miami felt that strong about Devlin then he would've gotten a start in the preseason. Nothing to see there

3. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Philbin absolutely loves Devlin and I do think it is very possible he will be the #2, or at least have a chance to compete for it. I do think Miami will try and re-sign Moore to be the #2, and I wouldn't be surprised if Moore tests the free agent market then comes back. But in the scenario that Moore leaves, I think Devlin will be the #2 and they will draft someone in the 5th or 6th round to be the #3 and push Devlin.

4. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

^^ This

5. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Yeah, I got thoughts. It is reckless to have Devlin as your #2.

6. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Cleo Lemon, jr.

7. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Horrible idea.

8. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

I have to agree! Ideally, your #2 should be someone with some experience under their belts.

9. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

sure he can b a #2 just as long as its not with the dolphins.come on man dude we need a vet

10. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

Nick Foles, Kirk Cousints, TJ Yates, Marino, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, etc. never had experience and were #2. How are you going to get experience unless you get a chance to play? Besides, Devlin will be a great #2 (even evidenced by his preseason play last year, and hopefully they will give him more preseason opportunity in 2013); then when Tannehill sucks next year we can go to Devlin and start winning.

11. LDaniel7

I like MM, don't get me wrong. I just think that some other team would love to have him starting...

And I would say that Devlin is untested and unsure, no doubt about it. But he garnered solid review from Philbin all off-season... and essentially made an injured Garrard even more expendable. So, although I agree that it would not be a good idea to have him as the 2nd, I would at least feel as comfortable w. Devlin as a 2 as with Garrard there. imo, Garrard has shown exactly what he is as a QB... and Devlin at least flashed the potential to be better than that Garrard-esque play.

LD

12. LDaniel7

Tannehill isn't going to suck next year, and especially not if he gets some talented WRs and TEs.

He might get hurt though, which raises the question of a good #2 QB.

LD

13. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

Philbin always talks about developing your own players. If Devlin has performed well thought this year in practice and in meetings, there no reason to think he cant become the #2. A 7th round draft pick in Matt Flynn did it in Green Bay under Philbin.

Also, if Miami didnt think it was possible Devlin could be a #2, then he wouldnt have been on the active roster all year. Most teams dont carry 3 QBs all year. They were obvioulsy afraid Devlin would be poached from our practice squad.

14. JDRA20

JDRA20 Well-Known Member

So you think Tannehill sucks, yet Devlin could be the next Tom Brady? THERE'S A REASON HE CAN'T BEAT OUT MATT MOORE.

15. -=DolfanDave=-

-=DolfanDave=- A True Fan

could be worse... could be Webb at backup

16. LDaniel7

SO TRUE! lol

With RT, MM and Devlin, Miami actually was more set at the QB position than at any time in recent memory.

LD

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Good thoughts! Thanks!

LD

17. -=DolfanDave=-

-=DolfanDave=- A True Fan

Yup. Too bad those fins QBs have no one to throw to ... sigh

18. Nublar7

Agreed. There is a reason they kept 4 quarterbacks when the original 53 man roster was set. They knew they wanted Tannehill and Devlin but had to make a decision between Moore and Garrard. Devlin is called the "Teacher's pet" because Philbin is very high on him and even Dan Campbell compared him to a young Tony Romo. So it is obvious to me that the coaching staff sees something in him and are pleased with his development. Devlin went from a practice squad player in 2011 to a player in 2012 that they were scared to death of to exposing him to waivers.

The fact is that Devlin appears to have taken a big jump from where he was in 2011 to where he was in 2012. Good coaches and organizations develop the players they have, so I don't know why it is so crazy to think Devlin can be the #2 in 2013. If the coaches believe in him, why can't fans?

19. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Erm lets not go too much by hard knocks!

20. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Devlin is solid. Would love to have him be the #2 if he earns it - hes a smart, young, cerebral QB at #2.

Matt Moore is ok but you guys know he is a fumble waiting to happen. Let him go compete against Tebow for the number one spot Jacksonville next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  21. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Yes, the parallels are clear.

IN OPPOSITE WORLD.

22. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Maybe Ireland can get his hands on Jay Fiedler's love child with Ray Lucas. A proud Dolphin QB pedigree and a noodle arm.

23. BG12DM13CP10

I smell quarterback controversy brewing next year. Devlin is coming...even if there is no quarterback competition next year, Devlin is still going to push him... What happens when Devlin outplays Tannehill in the preseason, and Tannehill continues losing (even with "weapons")? We could be one play away from a new era in Miami. Just saying..

24. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

This post feels like it needs something. Oh, yes...here.

25. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Do you mean "sucks" as in a noodle armed journeyman with 81 starts winning 7 more games than he lost? Or one with a career record of winning less than 1/3rd of his games vs Top 10 Scoring D's.. or for us even worse - winning 1 out of 4? The hired hand dink and dunker who lost his last 4 starts, throwing 1TD, 4 ints in the game that mattered most (after a cupcake schedule) where the Ravens put 12 in the box in respect for his scary arm? Who's averaging around 6yds/attempt? Let's all hope T17 doesn't suck as much as CP10 did in our most recent memories. Frankly putting him in the same zipcode, let alone the same sentence as home grown, time tested champion QBs like DM13 and BG12 is damn insulting to them!

26. BG12DM13CP10

Stop spitting out the same useless rhetoric you always do over and over again. Stick to your stats and books and stop talking about football because you never played it, it's obvious.

27. Vaark

The fact that you have a mediocre ineffective vs serious Defenses carpetbagger QB up there with legendary organic career Fins QBs means you either know **** about QB'ing or about Fins legacies... or was one of those butt-hurt Penny slurpers who swung over Tebow style after the jest kicked him to the curb. It's obvious. But how about this, you STFU about a QB who''d have been put in to replace Noodle on the basis of his last 3 games with us and I'll STFU about you and your inappropriate hired gun boy crush, eh?

28. Ghetti17

Ghetti17 Active Member

I expect he will be the backup quarterback next year. Moore will be playing elsewhere and Miami won't use resources on a backup. Devlin will be that guy.

29. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Don't see the resemblance, Cleo is dark skinned Devlin is white.

30. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Ask the Vikings if having a quality back-up is importrant.

31. BG12DM13CP10

You still didn't answer if you played football, did you? The only stat you can use is "agaisnt top scoring defenses" --what is that?!...you sound like you're fishing for some kind of stat to use. He led the league in completions %, lowest interceptions, and won 9 out the last 10 must win games to get in the playoffs. Even the rest of the league knew what he was doing--he was a close 2nd in MVP to Peyton Manning that year. You can hate on Pennington all you want, but the fact is that he took a sorry 1-15 team to 11-5 and the AFC East title in one year--restoring pride and respect back to Miami, then when he was gone we went to crap again even till this day, and your bandwaggon Tannehill boy isn't doing anything. You say CP would have been replaced because of his last 3 games--but look at one of those 3 games where he played agaisnt the Superbowl Colt's Peyton Manning; CP dominated that game and kept the ball for over 45 minutes...but it was our defense that kept giving up easy TDs every 2 minutes after every one of CP's long TD scoring drives. By the way, the only thing you know about quarterbacking is from watching NFL network and studying stats.

32. Vaark

So when did you stop being a jest fan? in August of 08? One of your fellow JI or TGG fans did an in depth study of Noodle's performance against top 10 scoring D's - you know like the ones that mostly turn up in the playoffs. Guess what? Noodle won less than 1/3rd of the time, but then again in 08 we split with NE and lost twice to the Ravens - once disgracefully, so he pitched a .25 for us.. you may like blue balls if that's all you can get, but most of us long standing Fins fans know what it means to go into the playoffs fully armed (pardon the pun). I'm curious, have you have been to a Fins game in the last few years? Again, putting a limp armed hired gun up with two great Fins QBs speaks volumes for both your fandom and your opinion of Tannehill. You keep banging on our promising rook and I'll keep banging on the QB the jest fans stood up and applauded for when carted off the field.

33. BG12DM13CP10

You still didn't answer, did you play football?

34. Vaark

How long have you been a fan (aka, did you swing over with the other penny slurpers?)

35. BG12DM13CP10

I've been a fan since Bob Greise was playing quarterback. I've never been a Jets fan but I appreciate a good quarterback like Chad Pennington and what he did for us. And like you, I was afraid of him when we played against the Jets. And I guess you answered my question by not answering 3 times "Have you played football?"

36. Nublar7

Like I said earlier in this thread, I like Devlin and I am rooting for him. Though I don't like Devlin as much as BG12DM13CP10, I do think he has a future with this team. Tannehill is the starter without question, Devlin will never unseat him. However, I have hope that he can eventually become solid backup to Tannehill. Whether or not that is in 2013 or not remains to be seen. What I do know is that Philbin and some other offensive assistants are very high on Devlin which shows me that he is improving with time and practice. I also think it was pretty obvious just from preseason games how much of a jump he made from 2011 to 2012, I would expect another jump next year.

I love the idea that Miami can groom their backup quarterback.

37. steeda

steeda FinHeaven VIP Donator

I don't think Devlin can be nearly as bad as the backup QB they have in Minneapolis.

38. rustycage

rustycage Rookie

If he hasn't improved enough to be a no 2 by now, I think you'd have to cut him loose. I think he will be the 2.

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I like the development of Devlin but with Tannehill as our starter, I think it would be a huge mistake to not bring in a veteran qb. If Tannehill goes down, Devlin is far from ready to be an NFL starter. As for drafting a guy late in draft at qb, I would do that almost every year.

40. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Dude you're a bandwagon Pennington and Devlin boy, so quit being a hypocrite.

41. BG12DM13CP10

How do you know that he is far from being an NFL starter? Is Tannehill ready? You all said that he is only a rookie and he only had 19 games in college and that's why we shouldn't exepect too much from him. Anyway we're talking about Devlin as #2 and not the starter (for now). Do you think a veteran who was not good enough to be on any other team is ready to be our starter?

42. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

As "we're" is plural, and you (which is singular) are the only person talking about Devlin taking the job away from Tannehill, I think "we" are talking about Devlin as the #2 on a permanent basis. This is coming from a huge fan of Devlin.

43. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

A veteran free agent of course. Lets ask Minnesota how it feels to have a less than stellar backup. From what I have seen of Devlin he is still a product in development. What would it hurt to bring in a vet instead of finding out the hard way