Anyone else worry about Wake and Jones? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else worry about Wake and Jones?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm a little worry about both for different reasons. Wake forced a holding penalty but other than that he did pretty much nothing. I know he takes care of himself but he is getting older. Imho that was one of his worst games.

As far as Jones I'm just worry that he might never be the same player he was before his surgery. He had zero impact plays which is horrible considering SD put it up 39 times and he never touched any of them. Come to think of, I'm not sure our defense got their hands on any footballs today out of 39 passes but that's a different thread.
Anyway, am I paranoid or could this be legit? If Wake and Jones can not be as good as we're used to then this could be a very long season

Ozzy rules!!

Wake was getting put in situational situations & kept rotating with Hayes he looks good tho.

Reshad Jones was a beast yesterday he telling everyone to go to their assignments playing like a linebacker they didn't really throw to his way much he got a bogus PI on a ball that wasn't catchable...Jones needs time tho he hasn't played meaningful football in a while

I was at the game yesterday btw so i noticed those minor stuff more

last year we thought Wake was done. he seems to take a couple games to get warmed up

he will torture the Jets next week

Ok, maybe I was being paranoid(one of my Ozzy's favorite tunes btw) but it's just that I know how much we need them to play well. Hayes actually was our best DE yesterday and why was Wake covering a WR yesterday? That's just crazy. On another note, I can't wait to have TJM back there with Jones and possibly being our nickle LB?
And here's a breakdown to the snaps everyone played yesrtday

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article173912046.html

Ozzy rules!!

Jones simply is not great in coverage, never has been never will be. He is a ball hawk, but he makes a lot of mistakes too and his speed/agility are not elite. He will look better when he starts laying the wood, he is the enforcer on this team and not some great cover guy, regardless of what some people believe. Wake is much more of a concern to me. I know the drop off from elite talent is inevitable, and I hope I'm wrong, but this could very likely be that year. We really need Harris to develop which I think he will.

The only thing I worry about is their health. We were in nickel almost exclusively. Chase Allen only got 13 snaps. (PFF graded him in the eighties on those snaps) Our Dline was in a rotation and Rivers was doing a Brady imitation throwing mostly short stuff, attacking Hull and Alonzo. I expected Mike Hull to struggle and he did. PFF gave him a grade in thirties, down toward the rock bottom of the league. I wasn't expecting Kiko to stink it so bad. He was very mediocre. I don't how they can lie through their teeth like they have been doing; saying how much they are satisfied with Hull. When Timmons comes back they should just go with the rookie Chase Allen. He has all the talent and smarts in the world. Chase is the future at MLB, not Mike Hull.

Chargers had a good game plan and it almost worked.

There weren't many opportunities for actual sacks, but Rivers was hurried all day. Our DT's and,of course Suh, were pushing the Oline back into Rivers on most passing plays.

Chargers are a very talented bunch, and under different circumstances might contend with KC and the Raiders out west. I am still not ready to believe in Denver.

Jones simply is not great in coverage, never has been never will be. He is a ball hawk, but he makes a lot of mistakes too. He will look better when he starts laying the wood, he is the enforcer on this team and not some great cover guy, regardless of what some people believe. Wake is much more of a concern to me. I know the drop off from elite talent is inevitable, and I hope I'm wrong, but this could very likely be that year. We really need Harris to develop which I think he will.

Sorry man, but this statement about Jones is just liable. His coverage grades have been excellent for years except for that one bad year he had.

last year we thought Wake was done. he seems to take a couple games to get warmed up

This - everytime we start wondering if he's too old or washed up, he busts out 3 sacks and a strip sack next game.

Sorry man, but this statement about Jones is just liable. His coverage grades have been excellent for years except for that one bad year he had.

Well PFF also ranked the Eagles Oline as the best in the NFL this off-season so their grades are definitely sketchy at times. I know Jones has done a great job covering TE's in the past and I'm not trying to say he stinks in coverage, but at his age I would say he is probably just average. He has gotten burned in the past badly on double moves, and he simply isn't an extremely fast or agile athlete like a Devin McCourty or Tyrann Mathieu who can literally cover WR's in the slot. I know they are FS's and Jones is a strong, but I also think there is a reason when Jones went down our pass coverage stayed about the same last year even with crap depth behind him. It's because Jones excels in the run game, but in coverage he can be a liability at times like that double move that went for an 80 yd TD a few years ago, I can't even remember exactly when but it was definitely his fault.

I'm genuinely surprised fin fan haven't realized this yet: NEVER COUNT WAKE OUT!

The man is beast. Yes, drop off is inevitable at some point, but every time anyone brings it up he busts out a huge game the following week. I have no doubts about that man (or Jones for that matter, he played fine, maybe a bit rusty). I'll bet on Wake, against the odds, every time. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

I'm genuinely surprised fin fan haven't realized this yet: NEVER COUNT WAKE OUT!

The man is beast. Yes, drop off is inevitable at some point, but every time anyone brings it up he busts out a huge game the following week. I have no doubts about that man (or Jones for that matter, he played fine, maybe a bit rusty). I'll bet on Wake, against the odds, every time. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.
if Wake is going to play great everytime someone brings this up then I'll start a thread about it every week.....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Jones played a good game and spent a lot of time presnap making sure the back 7 was all on the same page. Besides Maxwell and his typical brain farts he also had to make sure the calls were being relayed and understood by Allen who had no time with the first team previous to kickoff.

Jones played coverage and Gates pretty well for the most part (HOF TE) but had a few quirks here and there. On the goaline TD by Gordon he misread the play and falsely stepped outside to the edge. he is usually spot on in diagnosing those runs and blowing them up.

I'll never doubt Wake, especially in pass rush until there is a long stretch of play that says otherwise.

Last edited:
If you rarely hear a secondary players name it's probably because he had a good game coverage wise. Jones from what I remember gave up I think one pass. Sure he wasn't the same playmaker vs the run but I think part of it was for the most part the defense looks much improved vs the run leaving less for Jones to clean up then in previous seasons.

As for Wake, never count him out and that one big holding call took the chargers out of Fgs range and played a huge part in the win. He should torch the jets. If we get into week 8 and he still doesn't have any sacks then start to freak out. Didn't he not register a sack the first four games 2 years ago then the fifth game he had 4 sacks and 3 more in the next two games before getting hurt. Wake's always been a streaky type of player which is good and bad but when he's on the streak, boy you better watch out cause your qb is getting sacked and hurried all day

Back
Top Bottom