Anyone know of another player like Egnew?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfanerie, Dec 19, 2012.

1. dolfanerie

dolfanerie Scout Team

I have asked the question to a lot of my football friends and no one has an answer for me yet. Maybe you guys could help. Is there any current player that you know of who was drafted by an NFL team that sat out entire year for either "to be developed" or for "lack of knowing play book" that ever amounted to anything? This Egnew crap is getting old. I'm just wondering if he is kept around by Ireland to cover up another horrific early draft pick. Egnew looks great with his hat and T Shirt every week. Holy cow, Brandon Fields might get the start in place of Charles Clay instead of Egnew. Thanks!

2. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

You mean, another one that sucks?

3. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

This happens to hundreds of players. They may have a unique skill set or show a lot of promise but it turns out they are never good enough to see the field. Then fans get outraged when the coaching staff doesn't play them despite already knowing the player has no future. No one should be surprised if Egnew never sees the field for the Fins.

4. PJack

PJack A True Fan

Would only be guessing, but I have my doubts that there are tons of 3rd round picks that never sniffed the field for the entire first year. Late round picks and undrafted free agents....sure...but third round picks should be expected to make some contribution in year one. And when I say contribution, I mean get in a few friggen games, not put up pro bowl numbers.

5. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Er this guy isnt much of a bust

[​IMG]

6. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Phillip Rivers sat for 2 years, Aaron Rodgers sat for 4 years, Tom Brady sat for a year, Victor Cruz was on the Giants practice squad for a year, Malcolm Floyd was a practice squad player for the majority of his rookie season and played in just 4 games...there are a few more but I think that's good enough.

7. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Might want to look that up because there have been a lot of 3rd round picks that never sniff the field. I would say at least a third or more don't even play half a season. Just look at our picks, 2006 Derek Hagan, 2007 Lorenzo Booker, 2008 Kendall Langford, 2009 Patrick Turner, 2010 John Jerry, 2011 traded to move up for Daniel Thomas. Only Langford did anything as a rookie.

8. PJack

PJack A True Fan

Good list Truth, but should be noted that QB is probably different than any other position and Rivers, Rogers and Brady sat behind pro-bowlers and HOF's (Brees, Favre, Bledsoe). Cruz went undrafted. You got me on Floyd. That was surprising to me when Floyd didn't see the field much.

9. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

With this coaching staff it isn't that surprising. LMiller has barely played at all and would probably be sharing carries with Bush if on another team. Same with Matthews, who players have praised for months and he has only made it onto the field in the last 2 games at WR. Egnew was the 3rd ranked TE on everyone's boards last season and no one expected the Colts to double down on TEs and take Fleener and Allen in the 3rd. We probably had Allen targeted, but settled for Egnew as he was the best ranked TE available at the time. Unfortunately, at Missouri he was used as a big bodied WR in the TE position and never developed to cover all of the responsibilities. He should be contributing next season or will be cut. The FO has proven time and again that they will sever ties with under performing players and draft picks.

10. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Cruz should have seen the field even though he was undrafted. The Giants kept him hidden but they knew what they had and that's why they let Steve Smith walk without giving it much thought. Floyd actually took a long time to develop...late bloomer. Dennis Pitta is another guy...was behind Todd Heap and Ed Dickson his rookie season and only caught 1 pass for 1 yard in 11 games.

11. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I remember at least one of Shula's 3rd round picks getting cut at the end of training camp he was from syracuse university a cb i cannot remember his name and the kid drafted in the 12th round in the same draft another cb made the team that year and played for us about 10 years his name was. J B Brown if you want to look it up..

12. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Ugh...I can't stand J.B. Brown...I called him toast...he was pure garbage, fit perfectly with Olividotti's garbage defense.

13. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Another pick named Andrew Green I believe was picked in the 2nd round never saw the field and was cut at the end of his first year. He was a guard from Indiana and the first round pick from that draft who was a Tackle played just a portion of that year and was trades. This was Shula last draft. So yea I have seen quite a few worse phins drafts lots worse than Ireland's. Your either a youngster as a fan or grasping at straws with this post

14. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

Egnew does have a specific skill set. He runs routes like a wide receiver and can split the zone. He came out of the draft as advertised, it was cautioned he was not a typical tight end having almost no locking experience. I understand some fans frustration but they are ignorant. The rest that paid attention on draft day knew he was probably a year-long project. True he may never pan out, that's true with almost everyone drafted. But understand it was a matter of strength (or lack of) and poor blocking technique that has been keeping him on the bench. It's up to him if he's able to battle through it and learn and adapt. But please don't crucify the poor kid for being exactly what was advertised. He always was a project that has incredible high-end if it's recognized. In short a gamble.

15. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

"Egnew does have a specific skill set. He runs routes like a wide receiver and can split the zone. He came out of the draft as advertised, it was cautioned he was not a typical tight end having almost no locking experience. I understand some fans frustration but they are ignorant. The rest that paid attention on draft day knew he was probably a year-long project. True he may never pan out, that's true with almost everyone drafted. But understand it was a matter of strength (or lack of) and poor blocking technique that has been keeping him on the bench. It's up to him if he's able to battle through it and learn and adapt. But please don't crucify the poor kid for being exactly what was advertised. He always was a project that has incredible high-end if it's recognized. In short a gamble."

Indeed. He was a consolation prize after Fleener and Allen were gone and was taken as a project. He may yet prove his value and to be a great pick up in the next few seasons.

16. dolfanerie

dolfanerie Scout Team

Must be related to Ireland....

17. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

Oh? I can name lots of drafts worst than anything JI has done. Just look at those from Wanny, Saban, Mueller, etc... Shula had some real duds as well. We could have had Aaron Rogers and instead Saban took Ronnie Brown and also drafted other SEC guys he coveted from his college coaching days.

18. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

Egnew on tape showed NOTHING that warranted a 3rd round grade.

NOTHING. I know a few draft "guru's on here loved him, i have no idea waht htey saw in a player that doesn't run routes more than 5 yards and weren't slants.

I thought he was horrible on film and as we all can see he isn't just horrible but hes ****ing dumb as ****. A 3rd rounder not making 1 game isn't pathetic, it isn't sad, it isn't his fault. Its the GM and coaches job for thinking that kid is a 3rd round talent when he had 5-6 written all over him.

19. uk_dolfan

Not just Dolphins fans, he was highly rated by pretty much all the draft experts.

20. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Hey how about that guard, DE and FB all rookie undrafted college free agents that Ireland picked for us this year. Think of the cap space Ireland saved us. Yea I don't mind you bashing Ireland as long as you do not nick pick.

21. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

22. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Sure I remember the nick name but he played well enough to last and play for JJ

23. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I think the draft "experts" fell in love with his measurables. I watched him and there was nothing I saw that impressed me about him, however, I do have confidence in this coaching staff in developing players and I do have hope they will get some kind of production out of him. If not, well, then he was a bust...but he won't be the first 3rd round bust and he won't be the last. Generally speaking about 30% of drafted players make a career out of the NFL the rest are pretty much gone within 5 years.

24. uk_dolfan

Looking at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diclp2_25ys

I understand why people say he used like a WR though I can see why he was picked. If he can learn to block he could be pretty effective. Looking at the role he played in college I cant help but think the coaches probably knew he would take time when he was picked, so maybe he hasn't disappointed too much.

25. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Billy Milner was the T drafted in the 1st rd

26. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

I may not be 100pct right on this but in '84 we took hot-shot LB Jackie Shipp in the first round to be our dominating Lawerence Taylor type guy. He didn't play much that year and rookie LBs taken later (Jay Brophy being one) saw more action. In fact, Shipp didn't play in the SB that year and we could have used his speed against Tyler and Craig mismatches all game long. Shipp eventually got on the field and might have put in 3 unimpressive seasons for us. Why is this relevant? The word on him was he was a physical specimen but lacked the mental capacity to play. Watching Eggnoodle on Hard Knocks I couldn't help but think "boy this guy looks like he has the intelligence of a squirrel.

27. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Troll much?

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Phillip rivers sat because of Drew Brees, Aaron rodgers sat for Favre. Victor Cruz was an undrafted free agent was as well.

29. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Joe Toledo...year after year

30. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

You could compile a long list receivers that couldn't make it on the field their first year or two in the league. I think its becoming rarer these days with rookies at all positions being thrown out there whether they can play or not, but I can remember when noone thought Steve Smith would make it. Guys like Decker, Lance Moore, Steven Johnson, Miles Austin, Malcom Floyd needed time or a change of scenery or both before they broke out.

Of course there are a few hundred more that never made it....

31. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

egnew remionds me of other Ireland draft picks like Turner and Nalbone

32. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

Doesn't mean they are good at what they do.

Every draft expert had Gholston penned as an All Pro.
    Every draft expert said Long would never succeed as a LT in the NFL.
    Every draft expert had Davis as the next shut down corner.
    Every expert had Meachem rated as a top 2 WR in the draft.
    Every expert thought S Smith had the best hands in the draft.

Are we really going off these so called experts? I go off my eyes and how I have successfully evaluated talent, not how someone elses eyes evaluate talent.

Egnew was rated "HIGHLY" bcause he had a year where his numbers were very good but when you watch tape on those years, he never, EVER did something that made you say wow, hes a beast. Look at Hartline, his stats show #1 WR outside of TD but no team in the NFL would use him as a #2 let alone a #1.

33. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

Joe Adams, 2012 taken with the 9th pick of the 4th round, 8 games played, 1 catch for 7 yards

2011 Draft 3rd round, Jerrel Jernigan NYG, 0 catches 0 yards in 2011, in 2012 2 catches for 15 yards, Yes they have Nicks and Cruz now, but Jernigan was drafted in the 3rd, Cruz was undrafted and beat out Jernigan so what does that say?

on that same team Ramses Barden drafted in 2009 in the 3rd round, in his rookie year, active 3 games, 1 catch for 16 yards, 2010 6 games active 5 catches for 64 yards, 2011 9 catches for 94 yards, he was there before Cruz as well and couldnt get playing time over him... only saw the field this year because Nicks was injured

regardless of the situation for each team, could you imagine the ridicule of those 3rd round picks on the Dolphins?

34. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

In that video, did you see him run any ROUTES outside of a bubble, screen, or a 4 yard slant? I haven't seen him run any 20 yard routes, i haven't seen him catch long balls, I haven't seen him run 30 yards up the seam and create stuff. He shows NOTHING but screens, bubbles and 4 yard slants. He plays the Welker role except Welker turns a 5 yard slant into a 25 yard play.

35. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

WHO DID RODGERS HAVE IN FRONT OF HIM...Who did rivers have in front of him, even brady had one of the best qbs from the 90s in front of him...

If you are going to list QBs, positions that do get sat more often than any other, at least pick qbs that sat ehind BAD starters...

36. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

1) Giants have succesfful drafted GREAT PLAYERS so they have the luxury to 1) take risks 2) there "busts" dont look as bad because they hit on so many players or hae so many good players. Miami doesn't have any room to be in taht position as they do. If I drafted players that are all pros year after year but had 2 busts no one would take notice but when your ENTIRE draft is bust year afteer year and you don't produce any all pros wtf room does one have to speak?

Barden to me had bust written from his long toe up to his longest strand of hair. He had no speed no accerlation no seperation. They have Cruz, they had Shockey, they have manning, they have the entire O LINE that is top 5 in the NFL, they have Tuck, they have CB Ross and Webster, they have TALENT, we have LONG. IN 5 years the house hold name that this ****ing baboon put on this roster is a LT drafted #1.

Cruz UDFA, Nicks 1st round pick, late 1st round atcually, Webster 2nd round, Ross 1st round, etc etc. Who does Miami have that anyone outside of finheaven knows of? Jake Long. Thats it.

37. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

Happens all the time!

38. twix2500

twix2500 A True Fan

There are a lot of players who dont see the field the first year and turn out to be productive and even great players. Im too disappointed that we didnt get to see much of him this year. But this does not mean the end of him.

39. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

Worst first round pick EVER. My buddy and I were watching that draft and when Milner was picked we both were like, "who????"

40. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Pat white worst seconnd round pick ever. After one year out of NFL