Anyone know of another player like Egnew? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone know of another player like Egnew?

dolfanerie

Scout Team
Reaction score
I have asked the question to a lot of my football friends and no one has an answer for me yet. Maybe you guys could help. Is there any current player that you know of who was drafted by an NFL team that sat out entire year for either "to be developed" or for "lack of knowing play book" that ever amounted to anything? This Egnew crap is getting old. I'm just wondering if he is kept around by Ireland to cover up another horrific early draft pick. Egnew looks great with his hat and T Shirt every week. Holy cow, Brandon Fields might get the start in place of Charles Clay instead of Egnew. Thanks!

This happens to hundreds of players. They may have a unique skill set or show a lot of promise but it turns out they are never good enough to see the field. Then fans get outraged when the coaching staff doesn't play them despite already knowing the player has no future. No one should be surprised if Egnew never sees the field for the Fins.

Would only be guessing, but I have my doubts that there are tons of 3rd round picks that never sniffed the field for the entire first year. Late round picks and undrafted free agents....sure...but third round picks should be expected to make some contribution in year one. And when I say contribution, I mean get in a few friggen games, not put up pro bowl numbers.

I have asked the question to a lot of my football friends and no one has an answer for me yet. Maybe you guys could help. Is there any current player that you know of who was drafted by an NFL team that sat out entire year for either "to be developed" or for "lack of knowing play book" that ever amounted to anything? This Egnew crap is getting old. I'm just wondering if he is kept around by Ireland to cover up another horrific early draft pick. Egnew looks great with his hat and T Shirt every week. Holy cow, Brandon Fields might get the start in place of Charles Clay instead of Egnew. Thanks!

Er this guy isnt much of a bust

clear.gif

Phillip Rivers sat for 2 years, Aaron Rodgers sat for 4 years, Tom Brady sat for a year, Victor Cruz was on the Giants practice squad for a year, Malcolm Floyd was a practice squad player for the majority of his rookie season and played in just 4 games...there are a few more but I think that's good enough.

Would only be guessing, but I have my doubts that there are tons of 3rd round picks that never sniffed the field for the entire first year. Late round picks and undrafted free agents....sure...but third round picks should be expected to make some contribution in year one. And when I say contribution, I mean get in a few friggen games, not put up pro bowl numbers.
Might want to look that up because there have been a lot of 3rd round picks that never sniff the field. I would say at least a third or more don't even play half a season. Just look at our picks, 2006 Derek Hagan, 2007 Lorenzo Booker, 2008 Kendall Langford, 2009 Patrick Turner, 2010 John Jerry, 2011 traded to move up for Daniel Thomas. Only Langford did anything as a rookie.

Phillip Rivers sat for 2 years, Aaron Rodgers sat for 4 years, Tom Brady sat for a year, Victor Cruz was on the Giants practice squad for a year, Malcolm Floyd was a practice squad player for the majority of his rookie season and played in just 4 games...there are a few more but I think that's good enough.

Good list Truth, but should be noted that QB is probably different than any other position and Rivers, Rogers and Brady sat behind pro-bowlers and HOF's (Brees, Favre, Bledsoe). Cruz went undrafted. You got me on Floyd. That was surprising to me when Floyd didn't see the field much.

With this coaching staff it isn't that surprising. LMiller has barely played at all and would probably be sharing carries with Bush if on another team. Same with Matthews, who players have praised for months and he has only made it onto the field in the last 2 games at WR. Egnew was the 3rd ranked TE on everyone's boards last season and no one expected the Colts to double down on TEs and take Fleener and Allen in the 3rd. We probably had Allen targeted, but settled for Egnew as he was the best ranked TE available at the time. Unfortunately, at Missouri he was used as a big bodied WR in the TE position and never developed to cover all of the responsibilities. He should be contributing next season or will be cut. The FO has proven time and again that they will sever ties with under performing players and draft picks.

Good list Truth, but should be noted that QB is probably different than any other position and Rivers, Rogers and Brady sat behind pro-bowlers and HOF's (Brees, Favre, Bledsoe). Cruz went undrafted. You got me on Floyd. That was surprising to me when Floyd didn't see the field much.
Cruz should have seen the field even though he was undrafted. The Giants kept him hidden but they knew what they had and that's why they let Steve Smith walk without giving it much thought. Floyd actually took a long time to develop...late bloomer. Dennis Pitta is another guy...was behind Todd Heap and Ed Dickson his rookie season and only caught 1 pass for 1 yard in 11 games.

I remember at least one of Shula's 3rd round picks getting cut at the end of training camp he was from syracuse university a cb i cannot remember his name and the kid drafted in the 12th round in the same draft another cb made the team that year and played for us about 10 years his name was. J B Brown if you want to look it up..

I remember at least one of Shula's 3rd round picks getting cut at the end of training camp he was from syracuse university a cb i cannot remember his name and the kid drafted in the 12th round in the same draft another cb made the team that year and played for us about 10 years his name was. J B Brown if you want to look it up..
Ugh...I can't stand J.B. Brown...I called him toast...he was pure garbage, fit perfectly with Olividotti's garbage defense.

Another pick named Andrew Green I believe was picked in the 2nd round never saw the field and was cut at the end of his first year. He was a guard from Indiana and the first round pick from that draft who was a Tackle played just a portion of that year and was trades. This was Shula last draft. So yea I have seen quite a few worse phins drafts lots worse than Ireland's. Your either a youngster as a fan or grasping at straws with this post

Egnew does have a specific skill set. He runs routes like a wide receiver and can split the zone. He came out of the draft as advertised, it was cautioned he was not a typical tight end having almost no locking experience. I understand some fans frustration but they are ignorant. The rest that paid attention on draft day knew he was probably a year-long project. True he may never pan out, that's true with almost everyone drafted. But understand it was a matter of strength (or lack of) and poor blocking technique that has been keeping him on the bench. It's up to him if he's able to battle through it and learn and adapt. But please don't crucify the poor kid for being exactly what was advertised. He always was a project that has incredible high-end if it's recognized. In short a gamble.

"Egnew does have a specific skill set. He runs routes like a wide receiver and can split the zone. He came out of the draft as advertised, it was cautioned he was not a typical tight end having almost no locking experience. I understand some fans frustration but they are ignorant. The rest that paid attention on draft day knew he was probably a year-long project. True he may never pan out, that's true with almost everyone drafted. But understand it was a matter of strength (or lack of) and poor blocking technique that has been keeping him on the bench. It's up to him if he's able to battle through it and learn and adapt. But please don't crucify the poor kid for being exactly what was advertised. He always was a project that has incredible high-end if it's recognized. In short a gamble."

Indeed. He was a consolation prize after Fleener and Allen were gone and was taken as a project. He may yet prove his value and to be a great pick up in the next few seasons.

Back
Top Bottom