Anyone know of another player like Egnew? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone know of another player like Egnew?

Another pick named Andrew Green I believe was picked in the 2nd round never saw the field and was cut at the end of his first year. He was a guard from Indiana and the first round pick from that draft who was a Tackle played just a portion of that year and was trades. This was Shula last draft. So yea I have seen quite a few worse phins drafts lots worse than Ireland's. Your either a youngster as a fan or grasping at straws with this post
Must be related to Ireland....

Must be related to Ireland....

Oh? I can name lots of drafts worst than anything JI has done. Just look at those from Wanny, Saban, Mueller, etc... Shula had some real duds as well. We could have had Aaron Rogers and instead Saban took Ronnie Brown and also drafted other SEC guys he coveted from his college coaching days.

This happens to hundreds of players. They may have a unique skill set or show a lot of promise but it turns out they are never good enough to see the field. Then fans get outraged when the coaching staff doesn't play them despite already knowing the player has no future. No one should be surprised if Egnew never sees the field for the Fins.

Egnew on tape showed NOTHING that warranted a 3rd round grade.

NOTHING. I know a few draft "guru's on here loved him, i have no idea waht htey saw in a player that doesn't run routes more than 5 yards and weren't slants.

I thought he was horrible on film and as we all can see he isn't just horrible but hes ****ing dumb as ****. A 3rd rounder not making 1 game isn't pathetic, it isn't sad, it isn't his fault. Its the GM and coaches job for thinking that kid is a 3rd round talent when he had 5-6 written all over him.

Egnew on tape showed NOTHING that warranted a 3rd round grade.

NOTHING. I know a few draft "guru's on here loved him, i have no idea waht htey saw in a player that doesn't run routes more than 5 yards and weren't slants.

I thought he was horrible on film and as we all can see he isn't just horrible but hes ****ing dumb as ****. A 3rd rounder not making 1 game isn't pathetic, it isn't sad, it isn't his fault. Its the GM and coaches job for thinking that kid is a 3rd round talent when he had 5-6 written all over him.

Not just Dolphins fans, he was highly rated by pretty much all the draft experts.

Hey how about that guard, DE and FB all rookie undrafted college free agents that Ireland picked for us this year. Think of the cap space Ireland saved us. Yea I don't mind you bashing Ireland as long as you do not nick pick.

Ugh...I can't stand J.B. Brown...I called him toast...he was pure garbage, fit perfectly with Olividotti's garbage defense.
Sure I remember the nick name but he played well enough to last and play for JJ

Not just Dolphins fans, he was highly rated by pretty much all the draft experts.
I think the draft "experts" fell in love with his measurables. I watched him and there was nothing I saw that impressed me about him, however, I do have confidence in this coaching staff in developing players and I do have hope they will get some kind of production out of him. If not, well, then he was a bust...but he won't be the first 3rd round bust and he won't be the last. Generally speaking about 30% of drafted players make a career out of the NFL the rest are pretty much gone within 5 years.

I think the draft "experts" fell in love with his measurables. I watched him and there was nothing I saw that impressed me about him, however, I do have confidence in this coaching staff in developing players and I do have hope they will get some kind of production out of him. If not, well, then he was a bust...but he won't be the first 3rd round bust and he won't be the last. Generally speaking about 30% of drafted players make a career out of the NFL the rest are pretty much gone within 5 years.

Looking at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diclp2_25ys

I understand why people say he used like a WR though I can see why he was picked. If he can learn to block he could be pretty effective. Looking at the role he played in college I cant help but think the coaches probably knew he would take time when he was picked, so maybe he hasn't disappointed too much.

Another pick named Andrew Green I believe was picked in the 2nd round never saw the field and was cut at the end of his first year. He was a guard from Indiana and the first round pick from that draft who was a Tackle played just a portion of that year and was trades. This was Shula last draft. So yea I have seen quite a few worse phins drafts lots worse than IrBeland's. Your either a youngster as a fan or grasping at straws with this post
Billy Milner was the T drafted in the 1st rd

I have asked the question to a lot of my football friends and no one has an answer for me yet. Maybe you guys could help. Is there any current player that you know of who was drafted by an NFL team that sat out entire year for either "to be developed" or for "lack of knowing play book" that ever amounted to anything? This Egnew crap is getting old. I'm just wondering if he is kept around by Ireland to cover up another horrific early draft pick. Egnew looks great with his hat and T Shirt every week. Holy cow, Brandon Fields might get the start in place of Charles Clay instead of Egnew. Thanks!
I may not be 100pct right on this but in '84 we took hot-shot LB Jackie Shipp in the first round to be our dominating Lawerence Taylor type guy. He didn't play much that year and rookie LBs taken later (Jay Brophy being one) saw more action. In fact, Shipp didn't play in the SB that year and we could have used his speed against Tyler and Craig mismatches all game long. Shipp eventually got on the field and might have put in 3 unimpressive seasons for us. Why is this relevant? The word on him was he was a physical specimen but lacked the mental capacity to play. Watching Eggnoodle on Hard Knocks I couldn't help but think "boy this guy looks like he has the intelligence of a squirrel.

Phillip Rivers sat for 2 years, Aaron Rodgers sat for 4 years, Tom Brady sat for a year, Victor Cruz was on the Giants practice squad for a year, Malcolm Floyd was a practice squad player for the majority of his rookie season and played in just 4 games...there are a few more but I think that's good enough.

Phillip rivers sat because of Drew Brees, Aaron rodgers sat for Favre. Victor Cruz was an undrafted free agent was as well.

I have asked the question to a lot of my football friends and no one has an answer for me yet. Maybe you guys could help. Is there any current player that you know of who was drafted by an NFL team that sat out entire year for either "to be developed" or for "lack of knowing play book" that ever amounted to anything? This Egnew crap is getting old. I'm just wondering if he is kept around by Ireland to cover up another horrific early draft pick. Egnew looks great with his hat and T Shirt every week. Holy cow, Brandon Fields might get the start in place of Charles Clay instead of Egnew. Thanks!

Joe Toledo...year after year

You could compile a long list receivers that couldn't make it on the field their first year or two in the league. I think its becoming rarer these days with rookies at all positions being thrown out there whether they can play or not, but I can remember when noone thought Steve Smith would make it. Guys like Decker, Lance Moore, Steven Johnson, Miles Austin, Malcom Floyd needed time or a change of scenery or both before they broke out.

Of course there are a few hundred more that never made it....

Back
Top Bottom