Anyone want on the sign Todd Steussie bandwagon? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone want on the sign Todd Steussie bandwagon?

Steussie was very very average last year. Certainly nothing more than a reputation since he joined Carolina. I wouldn't mind him in Miami, but I wouldn't expect much from him, as he hasn't been the same in 2-3 years.

No I think he was pretty solid this last year. Him and Jeno James together were very good, although they would be playing on opposite sides.

Just a gut feel, but I don't think he's coming. Only way he does is if there's no other interest in him. We made a big play for him back in JJ's day, iIrc, and he turned us down to stay in Minny (could have been a match by Minny though, not real clear on that). Anyway, he's expressed interest in Tampa. Would love to have him at RT for a year or two, but just don't feel that it's going to happen.

He might be a little old to count on in pass protection but he was a very good run blocker last year...thats why we're trying to have him start for us at RT (or at least compete with St. Claire for the RT position). If Steussie wins, and I think he would easily, St. Claire can move to RG where he might be more suited anyway (good in short space, good run blocker, lapses in pass protection). That is of course assuming Taylor Whitley doesn't show up to camp and look like a completely different player...it wouldn't be the first time a rookie OL looked lost then came back and made a quantum leap in his second year.

Bucs Continue Steussie Pursuit
By IRA KAUFMAN ikaufman@tampatrib.com
Published: Mar 14, 2004

TAMPA - The overhaul of Tampa Bay's starting offensive line is expected to be completed this week with the addition of durable left tackle Todd Steussie, recently released by the NFC champion Panthers in a cost-cutting move.
Even as the Bucs announced the signing of free-agent punter Josh Bidwell on Saturday and attempted to finalize contract terms with ex-Ravens cornerback Tom Knight, General Manager Bruce Allen kept Steussie in his sights.

``I'd be very surprised if Steussie ended up anywhere else but Tampa,'' said a rival NFC executive. ``The Bucs are in the driver's seat.''

Steussie, 33, has missed only one game in his 10-year NFL career with Minnesota and Carolina. Although other teams are interested in the 6- foot-6, 308-pound veteran, Tampa Bay is considered the front-runner.

If Steussie signs, as expected, the Bucs are likely to feature four new starters along the offensive line, with center John Wade returning as the only holdover.

Tackle Derrick Deese and guard Matt Stinchcomb have already been added as free agents and the right guard spot, formerly held by Cosey Coleman, is expected to feature competition between Jason Whittle and new free agent addition Matt O'Dwyer.

Although Steussie's play has dropped from his former Pro Bowl level and holding penalties are beginning to creep in, he fits the mauler profile preferred by offensive line coach Bill Muir. His addition likely would signal the end of the Kenyatta Walker era in Tampa after three seasons.

Neither Allen nor Bucs coach Jon Gruden could be reached for comment.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I actually hope that he signs with the Bucs. Tampa Bay is one of the only teams in the 10-20 range that will be looking to draft OL. If they fill their needs, there is a greater chance that Shawn Andrews will drop down to the 20 spot. Buffalo might be interested in OL, but they need just about everything.

Steussie is OK now. Is a long term solution. No.
Andrews would be a solid pick, and a long term answer on the right side.

I actually hope that he signs with the Bucs. Tampa Bay is one of the only teams in the 10-20 range that will be looking to draft OL. If they fill their needs, there is a greater chance that Shawn Andrews will drop down to the 20 spot

great point. maybe they go after WR instead

Back
Top Bottom