Armando Salguero - Adding talent in the offseason won’t matter if the Dolphins don’t address this...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by johngarry, Jan 1, 2018.

1. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Source: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article192469594.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not good man. I've been saying for weeks now that the biggest problem is the foundation. We patch things here and there but is there a real vision as to how to build a real winner? It always starts at the top and the players are part of the problem but where's the leadership that we need in order to win?

Ozzy rules!!

3. johngarry

kinda shines brighter light on why Timmons fled: this team, it's organization and culture were polar opposite of Pittsburgh.. now i get why he kept going back there saying he'd made a mistake. who wouldn't?!!

DolfanDuBbZ~, gunn34 and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  4. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

All good points. All raise questions, unfortunately, about Adam Gase. The buck needs to stop with him.

So I guess the question moving forward is how do you fix this?

5. ForksPhin

ForksPhin Scout Team

Why give garbage like Malaluga multiple chances? He was an out-of-shape, useless guy who had no history of producing for the franchise.

This is unfortunate. Gase earned high marks from the players last year for being “one of the guys”, talking trash, etc. So after two seasons, how does he change his approach and instill needed discipline?

outlawd2u and emoticon like this.
  6. pjcab

pjcab Well-Known Member

To me this shouts that Gase is an OC not a head coach.

7. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

You need a good mix of young players and veteran leadership. Unfortunately there is no real leadership on this team among the players. There are good players, but not leaders. Add to a young coaching staff and you have an undisciplined team that commits a lot of penalties, show immaturity in crucial situations, and lacks the it factor to get them over the edge.

dolphindan likes this.
  8. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

The problem is Gase doesn’t demand respect from the players. The players know they can get away with it without facing consequences. The same thing happened under Philbin.

9. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

So basically the Dolphins have to fix what an NFL player's job is - To be a professional, a role model for the community, pay attention to details, and discipline....

In that case, we are doomed!!!

fin415 likes this.
  10. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Might be the most on point take made yet on the situation.

I do believe Gase is a smart dude...but does he know how to lead a disciplined team and make them show up every week?

fin415 likes this.
  11. Danny

Regardless of who's fault it is, this is not a good thing and it's been happening for a long time. FOUNDATION is just not there. At least not the right kind

Ozzy rules!!

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  12. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

We could bring back Philbin to monitor the gum wrappers and that should help the professionalism. :wall

But in all seriousness, it is a fine line to give these players some independence versus micro-managing the team. At some point these guys should have self-drive to be disciplined and professional. We have good role models: Tannehill, Wake, and Suh (however his gigantic salary probably hurts his cause). We should have kept Brandon Albert for another year to help Tunsil and the other young lineman. Pouncey is a thug, never thought much of his play or his character.

13. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Oh sure. Like the guys who got cut last year early in the year. Or when Ajayi was benched for the opener and left home. Or when Rey ****s off at the club and gets cut immediately after.

Not even close to being correct with your take.

14. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I honestly don't know how you can. I've seen it before in a work environment where a manager let the crew run the ship until it got way out of control and they tried to put the hammer down but by then it was too late and employees were just like "yea right". Maybe if we get a couple of new coordinators at OC, and DC who come right in and lay down the law for their units but even then Gase will have his hands full with the current core of players.

ForksPhin likes this.
  15. Danny

That's why you need to get rid of some players and bring in your kind of players. Talent alone doesn't win in the NFL

Ozzy rules!!

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  16. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

And what does that have to do with Gase not commanding respect from the players? Do you think this would have happened under Don Shula? I don't think so!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    miamiron likes this.
  17. johngarry

betcha three dogs get called to the house by Boss Ross about Mando's article: EVP, GM & HC.

18. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

Don Shula coached in a completely different time. The new CBA and the players union have essentially eliminated most forms of discipline. About the only recourse they have is benching, trading or cutting a player altogether. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe there is much else that can be done.

fin415 likes this.
  19. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

100% disagree wit this post. Gase absolutely demands respect. He is no philbin. You either do your job or you gtfo. Problem is that someone has to play so he can’t get rid of everyone at once. This is the only reason I like Gase

laxcoach, CaSh and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  20. Danny

That NE coach doesn't seem to have those issues with his players

Ozzy rules!!

21. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

He has enough Super Bowl wins that players will do whatever he asks, and NE has nowhere near the distractions that Miami has.

22. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

Gase doesn't demand respect. If he did, this team wouldn't have had so many penalties. Do you think the players respected him when he brought in Cutler? I think not! And am I mistaken or did he let Timmons back on the team after his disappearing act right before the season opener?

Trade Viper likes this.
  23. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

If they don't dress, do they miss a game check? Can he fine them under the CBA?

24. Trade Viper

Trade Viper Wicked Stop Hunter

But then again he is a Proven Winner :rolleyes:

The Ever Pointing Out The Obvious VIPER

25. Coolguy3

Coolguy3 Starter Finheaven VIP

Right, exactly. Just like what he did with Ajayi.

People need to get a grip if you think Gase doesn't demand respect. He's only had two seasons here. Give the guy a break. He obviously gets a pass this season for the **** show that happened. People seem to quickly forget all the **** we had to deal with at the beginning of the season; losing Tannehill, losing McMillian, Hurricanes, No real bye week, having to play in London as a home game, countless other issues and injuries. He did the best he could with what he had. You can't do anything in this league without a good QB. Next season will be the true test for Gase. I still believe he is the right coach for us.

lynx, NBP81 and FinaticalFinfan like this.
  26. Highzenga

Do you honestly believe respect for your coach has anything to do with penalties? Lmfao! Gase wanted to cut Timmons but had no choice. They just signed a lb and there was nobody competent enough to replace him. Somebody has to play. And yes players respected signing cutler. They wouldn’t have respected him if he just rode with Matt Moore. That would have absolutely been a wasted season. At least Gase tried to salvage the season. Gase is more like a Shula/JJ than a Philbin. That still means nothing but don’t say that he doesn’t demand respect because that is your opinion and your opinion means nothing as well

fin415 likes this.
  27. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

Good questions. I assume it depends on how the individual player’s contract is written as to whether or not he will lose a check for not dressing. The fines I am not sure of.

28. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

You said players got away with “disrespecting the coach”. I don’t know even know what that means and it isn’t like you know anything about the players relationship with Gase.

But he’s shown his style by letting go of players who act up or act like d-bags. Disagreeing with that makes no sense.

29. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

Gase seems like a slow learner. Two years now the team is tops in penalties. I don't think they practice hard enough, and two years now, they've skipped the first half of games but still all players and coaches got their full paychecks. Ross is a CHUMP!

30. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

I don’t think Gase is above reproach. The conditioning and intensity of practices is something I think is worthy of discussion. The accusations of players not respecting the coach or the coach being directly responsible for all the penalties is a bit over the top, IMO.

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  31. Highzenga

Really sick of people blaming losses on one of the best owners in the league. Have some perspective!

fin415 likes this.
  32. Danny

Well BB hadn't won a super bowl till he won a super bowl....just saying

Ozzy rules!!

33. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Mike Tannenbaum is feeling hot under the collar. I'm pretty sure of it now.

"Adding talent won't help the Dolphins" - really, Armando? Who told you that? I'm sure it wasn't the coach.

34. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

"Adam Gase has lost total control of the team. It's a zoo in there. There's plenty of talent all over the field. In fact, there is so much talent that adding even more talent wouldn't even help!"

- Anonymous Dolphins "Front Office" Source, initials M.T.

35. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Not sure what to make of this. In a related article on the same site as this article, Fasano said the “distractions” were too much. It was a brutal year in that regard. Gase and co have to get the penalties down - hard to win consistently the way we get flagged. To me that’s always been on coaching. Also, who knew they play music while they practice? WTF?

36. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Ross has become a great owner after some early mistakes. Hopefully, the same will happen with Gase. You can't keep flipping Coaches, 2018 will tell the story.

37. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

For starters' Tanenbaum and his Rooney-Rule-circumventing lackey frontman - neither who'd get hired anywhere else as GMs need to be kicked to the curb and replaced by professionals who actually have track records of progressive successes, effective talent evals and prudent cap mgt sensibilities.

38. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Not sure he even qualifies as a really good one (OC) but he's definitely not a legit HC

39. Danny

Music is ok as long as is Ozzy or Sabbath they're playing

Ozzy rules!!

royalshank likes this.
  40. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I was not surprised when I read this article. It’s going to take a pair of brass &$#&$# to reel these guys in. I thought Gase had the teams respect? Apparently not?

johngarry likes this.