Armando Salguero - Adding talent in the offseason won’t matter if the Dolphins don’t address this...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by johngarry, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

Well this has the early rumblings of a front office and coaching staff starting to point fingers at each other

Casas9425 likes this.
  2. fin415

fin415 Rookie Finheaven VIP

Can you please explain how anyone can "demand respect"? The word for what you actually described is fear. In the NFL of 2017, the coaches hand is pretty damned limited in terms of discipline and the players know that pretty much the worst that can happen is missing a game (and check) or two or getting waved -- with a pickup by another team around the corner.

I'm just going to assume you've not been paying attention to the last 2 years where any number of players were sent packing in the middle of the season, including a guy who thought he was so good, the team couldn't get along without him.

The issue of team discipline is a legit problem -- our team did lack discipline as made clear by the number of penalties and lost games that could have been won. But that is part of what you agree to risk when you hire a first time HC -- a learning curve. The question is: Can the Gase right their ship? Over the offseason, can he get his coaching staff to start from day one with a better feel for the line between a 'players coach' and 'a strict disciplinarian coach' as too much of either type gets bad results. Can he start from his first camp making it clear what he's expecting from his players -- and is he willing to pull the plug on a needed player who won't tow the line? And for everyone complaining about this issue, this means letting players like Jucie walk because he's the worst kind of teammate: an emotional leader who shows that he leaves everything on the field, yet isn't willing to work on his craft in the ways his coaches and team require of him.

3. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

I don't think Landry would have taken it that far in a game that mattered. IMO He and Gase were about on the same page.

4. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Prospective FA's may see this as well and not want to come here.

5. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

Ross must think that hiring unknown, inexperienced OCs as Head Coach is the key to success. The current situation has been 6 years in the making, thanks to Ross and his personnel decisions. Philbin was a nobody who didn't even call the plays in GB; he was an OC in name only. At least he hired someone with experience to be his OC, although even Mike Sherman couldn't do anything with an offense void of talented skill position players. (Ireland used early draft picks on either OL or defense with the exception of Tannehill.) Year two saw Sherman forced out and replaced by Lazor, an unknown QB Coach. Gase replaced Philbin and hired an OC with (I think?) some experience, but Gase decided to call his own plays. However, Gase's resume includes being OC for Peyton Manning (who ran his own offense) and a mediocre (at best!) Chicago offense. It does not bode well when just about every Coach has no experience at his position.

And that's just on offense! As for the defense, Miami had a decent one until Philbin hired Coyle, a Bengals DB Coach, as DC. Uh-oh... bye-bye good defense, hello dumpster fire! They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Gase hires Joseph as DC, who was another Bengals DB Coach, and the defense still sucks. Joseph goes to Denver, so Gase promotes Burke, a former Bengals LB Coach, to DC, and the defense still sucks. I don't know how to check the stats, but I'm positive that no other defense has allowed more opponents to convert 3rd and extra-long... especially by running the ball. 3rd and 21? Miami will give up a 22 yard run guaranteed. This has been going on ever since Coyle changed the defense that Nolan ran. And, if I'm not mistaken, haven't the Bengals had an unusually high number of players arrested in recent history? Fielding undisciplined players is probably the norm for Miami's coaches.

After Parcells left, Ross has filled his Coaching Staff (and Front Office?) with inexperienced nobodies; it's like the blind leading the blind.

BigNastyFish and gunn34 like this.
  6. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

We've had to over pay every free agent the last few years

7. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

Ross is such a moron he actually gave a GM gig to that total loser Mike Tannenbaum. Are any of you surprised that this franchise has become a clown show? Look at the idiots that they have at the top.

thefieds, dolpns13 and gofins60 like this.
  8. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

After I read this, all I could do is shake my head. Really? We have some real dumb asses on our team who are only here to collect a check. They aren't even trying. The coaches know who they are. I hope they get their asses cut! How's that for taking care of your family mofo!! Get lost!!

9. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Ross needs to bring somebody at either the EVP, Gm, of HC with instant Super Bowl credibility.

Somebody with enough Jewelry to get everybody attention. Somebody with enough cut-throat authority to get Gase's Guy and even Gase himself on edge.

I hate saying this but, fix the people in the room. After that everything is simply football.

10. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Well Armando has it nice these days, he doesnt even have to write his articles anymore, he just signs them...

fin415 likes this.
  11. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

I think of a coach like Caughlin...would Juice do the same things? I think not.

12. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

This is the most maddening thing to watch - if we don't give up a play that is "distance to go + 1 yard" we take an illegal hands to face or hold for the 5 yard automatic. We do need to cut the **** with hiring from the Bengals staff of perennial losers.

13. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

Guess you don't know about the Rams...

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  14. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

I hear a lot of people throwing the phrase “command respect” when it comes to Gase... and I take issue with that.

How does a coach command respect? He can’t physically kick a players *** so that’s out. He can yell at them (which I’m sure he does) but that doesn’t work.... He can fine them.. (Which I’m sure he does) but what if that doesn’t work?

The only other thing he can do is trade or cut players which he’s also done. At some point it’s on the PLAYERS! And the GM is responsible for investigating player characters before signing them.

This is NOT a Gase problem, this is a Player Aqusition problem

DuderinoN703 likes this.
  15. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

Amen...it's so true...this team is too worried about how the player is going to react. I remember in 03 when Belichick cut Milloy, the team captain, because he wouldn't take a pay cut. it sent a message to all of those other players and since then they know that it's his way or the highway...as much as I hate the Pats, you have to tip your hat to them to dedicate the whole organization to the process and philosophy...

16. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

who were the Jags before Coughlin went back to run the FO?? they were our Miami Dolphins: dysfunctional, dysfunctional, dysfunctional. it comes from the top > down. Mike Tannenbaum is a virus; a disease that permeates throughout our entire franchise. i like Ross, but he wants to win so bad he always reaches for the 'big shiny toy' in the crane box. what he should do is step back and let the Bruce Beals era begin... starting with no more Tannenbaum.

phinfan3411 likes this.
  17. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Absolute garbage. He had a completely different narative last year when we made the playoffs. If Ryan Tannehill doesn't get hurt we are in the playoffs and no one would be saying this kind of crap.

18. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

you cut players...that's all a coach has and if the GM and owner buy into his system (see my Patriots reference above) then it will sort itself out.

johngarry likes this.
  19. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

anyone who believes 30yr old 2x ACL in 9mos Ryan Tannehill should go into the 2018 season unchallenged should ask/expect to feel exactly the same come Jan2019... butthurt, angry and out for Gase's head on a spike. 17 has never shown anything close to being elite and might only be slightly above-average for a career. start finding a franchise qb... or start finding new everybody else.

Trade Viper and levv151 like this.
  20. levv151

levv151 Scout Team

Dilly Dilly!!!!!!!

Trade Viper and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  21. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

Great examples!! I think it's pretty ballsy of Gase to get rid of a Pro Bowl RB midway through the year. Looks like the right move to me. Wasn't everyone bitching about Gase calling out his players for not studying? Now he's too much of a ***** even though it seemed to be the truth...My god it would suck to be a Head Coach in the NFL lol Can't win either way. If our team looks like the Jay Cutler led team next year, then I will say Gase has got to go. As of now, we gotta give the guy a break. Let him at least have his starting QB for another season. We just might go 10-6 and make the playoffs again lol

fin415 likes this.
  22. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

this is pretty much what i expected of these jerkoffs...

That should have been a sobering moment. The blowout loss should have been a signal something was wrong that needed immediate attention. And yet I walked into that postgame locker room and there were guys laughing and joking and seemingly moving on as if what had just happened was no biggie.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article192469594.html#storylink=cpy

this snippet right here is just what most of us thought of these losers anyway. You can see they dont give a **** on the field so its no surprise theyre laughing it up after a blowout loss. Theres only a few guys who i think legit care about winning on this team and its not a long list. The majority of these guys are getting paid ridiculous salaries to half *** it and live it up at the clubs and hit the beaches.

Adam Gase, while i think still deserves one more year to right the ship considering the circumstances, is definitely to blame for this to some degree. I agree player aquisition and scouting is also a key thing wrong with this team....

But Gase accepts this behavior. Think about how Gase looks in this situation. A guy like Mike Hull works his *** off and who im sure is on time or early to meetings and practice is replaced by a fat out of shape guy who is out partying all night showing up late all the time to stuff. Gase is practically rewarding this behavior. Another example, if Ajayi was such a whiny baby, why did it take till week 8 to do something about it? Why not make him inactive and play williams or drake or perry or whoever is doing their job professionally? I get theres only so much you can do but like with the example of mike hull i said above, youre basically saying this type of behavior is fine.

Cutler has been known to not give a ****..Gase brings in Cutler(why wouldnt he take 10 million?) and automatically makes him starter over Matt Moore...

joenhre and Awsi Dooger like this.
  23. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Terrific column. Should have been penned immediately after that Ravens loss, not two months later.

I don't know how many times I've posted a similar theme, that the Dolphins era I grew up with featured players who were absolutely devastated after a loss. Henry Barrow's job every week was to interview players in the locker room for WIOD. During the early '70s that locker room would be so silent after a rare defeat that Barrow would literally be whispering while walking around the locker room, trying to find anyone who would summon the energy to speak to him. The whispering felt correct to Barrow because everything in the locker room was silent. The interviews themselves would barely be above whisper level.

Barrow occasionally filled in as replacement host during a WIOD sports talk show. When asked on-air about those whispered interviews he would explain it was always in respect to a player sitting on a bench feet away, with his head down and totally stunned. Sometimes Barrow had trouble finding anyone who would talk to him so he'd throw it back to Rick Weaver in the booth to fill the remaining time.

Likewise with the Canes glory era in the '80s. I wish my YouTube channel hadn't been zapped a few years ago. I had some videos up there with Jerome Brown and Michael Irvin and Melvin Bratton speaking to Channel 7 after a defeat. Almost not recognizable. You would never know Irvin was a brash guy based on those clips.

Nowadays I'm never convinced our personnel department actually interviews these guys. Not in person, anyway. How can you look at someone like Dion Jordan for more than 5 seconds face to face and conclude he is a self-motivated type, someone you want to invest heavily in? I could provide one example after another.

It's a remarkable combination because we ignore the analytics more often than not, yet also seemingly ignore the personality traits. Even when we happen to find a guy with intensity like Landry it comes with baggage and more of an individual attitude than team attitude. Reshad Jones a couple of years ago was doing a hula dance on the field late in a miserable season, touting himself toward the Pro Bowl.

It's one of the main reasons I have not attended a game in four years. I don't like the uniforms or logo and I'm not convinced the players fully care about the bottom line, other than their salary.

24. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

What makes you say Cutler doesn't give a ****? Because people make internet memes about it? Because he's not emotive on the sidelines?

Guy played with two cracked ribs when he easily could have sat out and collected his check.

DolfanDuBbZ~, Mindtornado and fin415 like this.
  25. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

Wow I'm definitely no Armondo fan but that article was spot freaking on. Probably the best article I've ever read from him. Kudos for having the balls to call out the team culture and professionalism which ate both plainly and painfully obvious.

It all points back to Gase as multiple posts state. Why are we waiting to oust this guy who is in way over his head? As a leader you either have the X factor or you don't. He's not going to walk in tomorrow and be Mike Tomlin. Shula had it at his age and players followed. Those that didn't were ousted.

Start the purge NOW

thefieds likes this.
  26. jacquesstrap

jacquesstrap Well-Known Member

I said it before and I'll say it again. Miami is emulating the wrong team (Cincinnati) instead of the team they should (new England). What would Belichick do? He doesn't tolerate poor performance or effort.

27. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I like Gase but he appears to have issues in controlling his players IE dumb penalties, Ajayi situation, and your O-line coach making video of him using cocaine. These are serious concerns. I'm starting to worry that Gase may be just a very good offensive coordinator and not head coach material. He might be too young and too Green/inexperienced to be a NFL head coach right now.

28. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

if jay truly cared about being great and winning he wouldve worked on his footwork over the last 12 years, am i right? a 12 year veteran throwing off his back foot week after week into triple coverage...

i wasnt trying to make it about cutler, but gase hasnt helped this situation at all with some personnel decisions is pretty much what im saying.

29. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

You can't really expect a guy to just completely change the way he throws the football in the span of a few weeks. Believe me, I'm disappointed too, but I don't think Jay Cutler robbed the Dolphins or was just here for the check. I'm sure he legitimately wanted to win and change some of the narrative about his career that has no doubt bothered him.

Yeah, he played poorly, but I don't agree with the statement that Cutler phoned it in for the cash and was content to just take the paycheck. To me, a guy just in it for the paycheck doesn't come right back on busted ribs.

NBP81 and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  30. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

I agree, I don't know what that guy is talking about.

This is really only Gase's first roster -- there is only so much you can do with what you inherit in year 1. I feel like on paper this team was much deeper and just had higher quality players over last year. Just got to continue to bring in guys who fit your style and he has the power for now. There will be so many new faces next year. I'm sick of all the losers on this team, its time to cut em loose

Highzenga likes this.
  31. montequi

montequi Middle Timer

Since Shula left, the coaching staff has been plagued with either Authoritarians who want to play a system regardless of whether it fits talent (JJ, Cameron, Philbin) and player-coaches who have no leadership ability (Wanny, Sparano, Gase). The one that stands out as different was Saban, but where he excelled as a coach he lacked as a personnel guy...so he never should have had the power to influence personnel. Regardless, his heart was never in it with Miami.

We need a coach like Saban without the personnel power...and, of course, one that REALLY wants to be here. Saban built a veteran coaching staff rather than offering jobs to a bunch of buddies. I believe if one of 2 things would have happened, we would have had a better foundation:

1. Saban would have stayed. At some point maybe he would have deferred personnel decisions.
    2. Parcells would have stayed. Sparano was really Parcells' puppet that 11-5 season. We could have done well with Parcells...but Ross screwed that up.

Interestingly enough, it was Wayne Huizenga who attempted both items above. Since he sold the team, we've just gone down the drain.

32. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Sounds like the kind of pseudo problem winning solves.

Hard to win with Cutler at the helm, and hard to sustain a talented roster with Tannenbaum at the helm.

I don’t think Gase is completely absolved here, but I appreciate the circumstances he’s faced.

33. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

When I read this article it makes me think that Philbin losing the team was as much about the idiots on the roster as it was Philbin itself. Now Gase has inherited the same group of morons and it only took a second season for them to show their true colors.

You cut Pouncey, you let Jarvis walk, you redo the LB group and you go a long way to upping the IQ of this team.

This is a big offseason for Gase reclaiming this team. It was impossible to make a major statement (the Ajayi move aside) during the regular season. At this point the system is more important than “talent”, so the directive should be churn the roster and rebuild it as best as possible.

I have little faith Gase and Tannenbaum will take a blowtorch to the low IQ members of the roster as they should (especially with agents in Tannenbaums pocket), but man it would be great if they had some balls to do so. The older you get the more frustrating this team is to watch.

NBP81 likes this.
  34. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

Like Jay cutler, bushrod, thomas,

35. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

The constant on both staffs was depending on Wake and Tannehill. Philbin wanted carr. Wasnt afraid to move on. Im not sure how and why Rt has a stranglehold on this team

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  36. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Fyi, Miami for the second straight year, is the 2nd most penalized team. How many years has Gase been in Davie?

37. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Excuses.

38. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

and why he doesn't have veterans helping him on the staff is beyond belief. He kept hiring buddies from other teams. Gase seems to have a control issue. McVay isn't worried about Wade Philips. Hell, it was his first hire. The HC just isn't supposed to be as involved as Gase wants to be in. He sets the vision and has others execute it. He wants to call plays. Guess what? He sucks at this. He got lucky with Manning and what he did in Chic was meh.

39. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

The party atmosphere at practice is a direct reflection of their performance on the field. First time HCs should surround themselves with coords that have experience. Had Gase done that I can bet that not one of them would have thought it a good idea to have a live DJ at practices.

Gase is in over his head. You can't trade Ajayi one week and then cave to the kneelers the next. Little Mrs. Fitin needs to decide if he wants to be a successful coach or a buddy to his players. 2018 is already shaping up to be a wasted season. If you think a 7th year QB that hasn't proven anything yet is going to fix all these problems more power to you. My only hope is Ross hands the keys over to Jim Harbaugh at the end of 18 and lets him run the show.

40. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

Is that on coaches or players? If suh jumps offsides isn’t it his fault? Maybe I’m crazy