Armando Salguero - Adding talent in the offseason won’t matter if the Dolphins don’t address this... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero - Adding talent in the offseason won’t matter if the Dolphins don’t address this...

Gase seems like a slow learner. Two years now the team is tops in penalties. I don't think they practice hard enough, and two years now, they've skipped the first half of games but still all players and coaches got their full paychecks. Ross is a CHUMP!
Really sick of people blaming losses on one of the best owners in the league. Have some perspective!

"Adam Gase has lost total control of the team. It's a zoo in there. There's plenty of talent all over the field. In fact, there is so much talent that adding even more talent wouldn't even help!"

- Anonymous Dolphins "Front Office" Source, initials M.T.

Not sure what to make of this. In a related article on the same site as this article, Fasano said the “distractions” were too much. It was a brutal year in that regard. Gase and co have to get the penalties down - hard to win consistently the way we get flagged. To me that’s always been on coaching. Also, who knew they play music while they practice? WTF?

Ross has become a great owner after some early mistakes. Hopefully, the same will happen with Gase. You can't keep flipping Coaches, 2018 will tell the story.

For starters' Tanenbaum and his Rooney-Rule-circumventing lackey frontman - neither who'd get hired anywhere else as GMs need to be kicked to the curb and replaced by professionals who actually have track records of progressive successes, effective talent evals and prudent cap mgt sensibilities.

Not sure what to make of this. In a related article on the same site as this article, Fasano said the “distractions” were too much. It was a brutal year in that regard. Gase and co have to get the penalties down - hard to win consistently the way we get flagged. To me that’s always been on coaching. Also, who knew they play music while they practice? WTF?
Music is ok as long as is Ozzy or Sabbath they're playing

Ozzy rules!!

I was not surprised when I read this article. It’s going to take a pair of brass &$#&$# to reel these guys in. I thought Gase had the teams respect? Apparently not?

The problem is Gase doesn’t demand respect from the players. The players know they can get away with it without facing consequences. The same thing happened under Philbin.

Can you please explain how anyone can "demand respect"? The word for what you actually described is fear. In the NFL of 2017, the coaches hand is pretty damned limited in terms of discipline and the players know that pretty much the worst that can happen is missing a game (and check) or two or getting waved -- with a pickup by another team around the corner.

I'm just going to assume you've not been paying attention to the last 2 years where any number of players were sent packing in the middle of the season, including a guy who thought he was so good, the team couldn't get along without him.

The issue of team discipline is a legit problem -- our team did lack discipline as made clear by the number of penalties and lost games that could have been won. But that is part of what you agree to risk when you hire a first time HC -- a learning curve. The question is: Can the Gase right their ship? Over the offseason, can he get his coaching staff to start from day one with a better feel for the line between a 'players coach' and 'a strict disciplinarian coach' as too much of either type gets bad results. Can he start from his first camp making it clear what he's expecting from his players -- and is he willing to pull the plug on a needed player who won't tow the line? And for everyone complaining about this issue, this means letting players like Jucie walk because he's the worst kind of teammate: an emotional leader who shows that he leaves everything on the field, yet isn't willing to work on his craft in the ways his coaches and team require of him.

and is he willing to pull the plug on a needed player who won't tow the line? And for everyone complaining about this issue, this means letting players like Jucie walk because he's the worst kind of teammate: an emotional leader who shows that he leaves everything on the field, yet isn't willing to work on his craft in the ways his coaches and team require of him.

I don't think Landry would have taken it that far in a game that mattered. IMO He and Gase were about on the same page.

Prospective FA's may see this as well and not want to come here.

The issue of team discipline is a legit problem -- our team did lack discipline as made clear by the number of penalties and lost games that could have been won. But that is part of what you agree to risk when you hire a first time HC -- a learning curve.

Ross must think that hiring unknown, inexperienced OCs as Head Coach is the key to success. The current situation has been 6 years in the making, thanks to Ross and his personnel decisions. Philbin was a nobody who didn't even call the plays in GB; he was an OC in name only. At least he hired someone with experience to be his OC, although even Mike Sherman couldn't do anything with an offense void of talented skill position players. (Ireland used early draft picks on either OL or defense with the exception of Tannehill.) Year two saw Sherman forced out and replaced by Lazor, an unknown QB Coach. Gase replaced Philbin and hired an OC with (I think?) some experience, but Gase decided to call his own plays. However, Gase's resume includes being OC for Peyton Manning (who ran his own offense) and a mediocre (at best!) Chicago offense. It does not bode well when just about every Coach has no experience at his position.

And that's just on offense! As for the defense, Miami had a decent one until Philbin hired Coyle, a Bengals DB Coach, as DC. Uh-oh... bye-bye good defense, hello dumpster fire! They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Gase hires Joseph as DC, who was another Bengals DB Coach, and the defense still sucks. Joseph goes to Denver, so Gase promotes Burke, a former Bengals LB Coach, to DC, and the defense still sucks. I don't know how to check the stats, but I'm positive that no other defense has allowed more opponents to convert 3rd and extra-long... especially by running the ball. 3rd and 21? Miami will give up a 22 yard run guaranteed. This has been going on ever since Coyle changed the defense that Nolan ran. And, if I'm not mistaken, haven't the Bengals had an unusually high number of players arrested in recent history? Fielding undisciplined players is probably the norm for Miami's coaches.

After Parcells left, Ross has filled his Coaching Staff (and Front Office?) with inexperienced nobodies; it's like the blind leading the blind.

Back
Top Bottom