Armando Salguero Article on Jarvis Landry | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero Article on Jarvis Landry

I hope we sign a couple big Defensive FAs with the money and draft a replacement to compete with Carroo and Grant. I don't think Grant is built to get tackled 5-6 times a game. Carroo is but he hasn't shown much.

Which teams would spend $14M a year on Landry? Seems a bit rich for his role and production.

Here is the list of WRs making 14+:
https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Player Team Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Avg.
Guar./Year
% Guar. Free
Agency

Antonio Brown Steelers $68,000,000 $17,000,000 $19,000,000 $4,750,000 27.9% 2022 UFA
DeAndre Hopkins Texans $81,000,000 $16,200,000 $36,500,000 $7,300,000 45.1% 2023 UFA
A.J. Green Bengals $60,000,000 $15,000,000 $26,750,000 $6,687,500 44.6% 2020 UFA
Davante Adams Packers $58,000,000 $14,500,000 $18,000,000 $4,500,000 31.0% 2022 UFA
Julio Jones Falcons $71,250,000 $14,250,000 $35,500,000 $7,100,000 49.8% 2021 UFA
Demaryius Thomas Broncos $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $35,000,000 $7,000,000 50.0% 2020 UFA
Dez Bryant Cowboys $70,000,000 $14,000,000 $32,000,000 $6,400,000 45.7% 2020 UFA

Does Landry fit in that group? If the only team offering him that kind of contract was Cleveland, would he take it over a lesser contract from Miami?

Redo the list with every WR and simulate them as a FA in 2018 and then relist them with their projected values.

That is how you get a "true" representation of Jarvis' value in comparison to others NFL wide outs.

If his issue is actually ignoring coaches then I don't see NE as a fit. Not when they just traded for Cooks. Bill will not tolerate that any mor
Good point here by Mando:

"Or do the Dolphins take that $11-$14 million per year and go shopping for an offensive lineman or two, or perhaps a lineman and a tight end, or a lineman and a running back like Dion Lewis?"

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article194920564.html#storylink=cpy

Except that sort of goes against their philosophy (unless it changed) that they won't spend big on OL. Especially at guard. My guess is Mike T is arrogant enough to just roll with Larsen/Asiata at guard and Davis at RT. He also sticks the notion that Harris and Branch will be fine at WDE and god help us.....Leontee Carroo at slot.

Redo the list with every WR and simulate them as a FA in 2018 and then relist them with their projected values.

That is how you get a "true" representation of Jarvis' value in comparison to others NFL wide outs.

OK, but my question still stands... Which teams will be interested in him at that price?

No way we cut James if we save Landry's money.

Honestly if we had Parker step it up (like was expected before the QB injury) combined with the glimpse of hope we got from Grant, it would be much more palatable.
The way I try to look at free agency is if another team made the same move, would you consider it a good deal? If Landry gets 4 years 60 million from the Browns, would we consider it a good move from Cleveland's perspective? I wouldn't consider that a great signing for Cleveland, so I don't think Miami should be the one to give him that contract.

Armando has been right often the last two years. Somehow he's getting real inside info. He told us about Harris and Tank and he was right. I know some people think that any of us that don't want to give him 14 mill a year means we don't like him or don't want him back. That's not the case. We just want the team to be smart with the cap and I for one don't want the offense ran thru him.

Ozzy rules!!

OK, but my question still stands... Which teams will be interested in him at that price?

I am not in the loop of all 32 teams, what all of their potential cuts are to gain space, what their precise needs are, etc.

What I do know is teams find ways to add great players to their roster. Great players rarely hit the market because the cap always rises enough to cover almost every franchise tag number there is except for QB.

I think people on here are gonna be blown away at the market for Landry if he hits it.

Remember this with OV? Miami had to take the transistion tag off because 15 million for 1 season was well below what OV was gonna get in a extension . . . .and OV wasn't some stud DE either. Good, ascending player . . . Hardly comparable to what Landry has done.

I am not in the loop of all 32 teams, what all of their potential cuts are to gain space, what their precise needs are, etc.

What I do know is teams find ways to add great players to their roster. Great players rarely hit the market because the cap always rises enough to cover almost every franchise tag number there is except for QB.

I think people on here are gonna be blown away at the market for Landry if he hits it.

Remember this with OV? Miami had to take the transistion tag off because 15 million for 1 season was well below what OV was gonna get in a extension . . . .and OV wasn't some stud DE either. Good, ascending player . . . Hardly comparable to what Landry has done.
OV is a good example, he got paid heavily at 5/85. He was pretty great last year, despite not hitting double digit sacks. This year the consensus was that he largely mailed it in and just cashed his paycheck.

The tag would buy more time for future evaluation etc from both sides and watch other players further development or lack of on the team -but that's a huge cap hit..

Why would they pay him 9.3M? That's 3rd highest paid RT in the league.

2nd best RT on the league WHEN HE PLAYS.

On a one year deal with no guarantees.

I understand people aren't happy with him missing half the games this year but given the strategy with purposely losing FAs this year we just wouldn't have given him the option if we wanted him gone. He's trade bait 'till the trade deadline and if no one offers a 3rd or better by then he'll be resigned long term.

I just hope we are done using the stupid transition tag. It just keeps us from getting comp picks for FAs lost.

Back
Top Bottom