Armando Salguero: Focus shifts to Dolphins coach Philbin and QB Ryan Tannehill! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Focus shifts to Dolphins coach Philbin and QB Ryan Tannehill!

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
MIAMI -- The names the Miami Dolphins added in the draft this past weekend start to blur after a while because general manager Jeff Ireland did a fine job of gathering a lot of picks for this draft and then filled his needs as well as desires over three exhilarating days.

Ireland isn't done.

The roster will be tweaked in the coming weeks, he promises. He says he's got some irons in the fire to solve the left tackle position that continues to feel unsolved. He says the back end of unrestricted free agency will be a field he can still explore.

But his toughest work is probably done now.

The responsibility for making the Dolphins at least relevant and perhaps a winner in 2013 now falls to other people. And as an NFL team's success is decided primarily by three people - the general manager, the coach and the quarterback - it shouldn't surprise that the spotlight that has been trained on Ireland this offseason now shines on two other men:

Ryan Tannehill.

Joe Philbin.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/02/3376210/armando-salguero-focus-shifts.html#storylink=cpy

step up...I think so. This year, to make it to the playoffs, we need to be at least 10-6. Might be a year away, but with a little luck, who knows. We are heading down the good road.

Ross seems to be pretty keen on noting how this is a quarterback driven league. Curious as to why we totally neglected that during the draft.

Year 1: Strategically cut previous regime players and replace with drafted starters and free agents. Endure final year of target players to be cut next year. Draft and being development of Franchise QB. GOAL: .500.

Year 2: Implement next big cut of previous regime players or allow to walk as contract expires. Draft and acquire your core play makers and team leaders for the near future (3 - 5 years). Thrust Franchise QB into offensive focal point. Mold defense into new identity. GOAL: Get to the playoffs AND make some noise along the way. WIN a playoff game.

Year 3: Finish roster overhaul. Give reigns to Franchise QB and expand on offensive cohesion from previous year. Call the defensive dogs out. GOAL: AFC Championship Game.

Year 4: Begin drafting next cycle of players and depth, BPA. GOAL: SuperBowl.

This year is about seeing if the pieces we've collected have PEAKED in potential as a team or have LIMITLESS potential to pursue a title. This year really starts to reveal how well Philbin's plan is being executed. If we get to the playoffs, it's working.

Also, we have to expose New England this year as a franchise who's window has closed. We need to show an intersection in paths, ours rising and theirs declining.

And if I'm right about New England's overlooked recent inability to draft starter talent, it will result in New England becoming bigger players in free agency as their struggle to remain competitive.

I see a weak opponent. I don't care what the smoke cloud conveys. New England is ripe for the picking.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. For the most part, Ireland has done his job and filled just about every position of need. We cannot use the excuse this year that Tannehill does not have any weapons, if he is not cutting it, then it should rest on him.

Ross seems to be pretty keen on noting how this is a quarterback driven league. Curious as to why we totally neglected that during the draft.

We use our 1st round pick on one last year. Just signed the top available #2 (Matt Moore this year. We have been grooming the #3 Pat Devlin for three straight years now. And Philbin absolutely loves his upside "I think Pat Devlin is a teacher’s pet," Philbin said of his third-string quarterback, "but other than Pat, everybody else is the same." Furthermore, all three are healthy. You only activated 2 on Sunday's. So why would we waste another draft pick and roster spot on a 4th Quarterback?

We use the 1st overall pick on one last year. Just signed the top available #2 This year. We have been grooming the #3 three Pat Devlin for three straight years now. All three are healthy. You only activated 2 on Sunday's. So why would we waste another draft pick and roster spot on a 4th Quarterback?

I see, I like our Qb situation. I'm behind Tannehill, but he needs to be the franchise focus. Not defensive backs. I was talking more in line with the lack of focus on offense this draft. Everyone wants to peg our free agents as solutions, but they are all temporary fixes. Wallace and Hartline are nice pieces, but we needed more dynamic talent especially in the slot and at tight end. It's painful to see how poor of a job Ireland does at recognizing offensive skill players in the draft. Every year we miss out on a dynamic playmaker because Ireland is too busy reaching for players to fill a whole.

Take for example Vontae and Sean Smith. If we'd hit on those guys we wouldn't have needed to invest ANOTHER 2nd and 3rd rounder on Taylor and Davis. We could have used those pics on offense, where Ross understands that side of the ball wins you games. We blew this draft, but that's just a consequence of previous blunders. I doubt our offense will be dramatically better and until we get a GM that can identify game changers, we'll continue to eek out 20-17 wins to another 7-9 record.

Hopefully we strike gold on Rishard Matthews and Bumphis. Maybe Thigpen can fill in the slot too. But these are prayers, hoping against hope situations.

I don't get it.

Here's a roster with an improved pass rush, improved wide receivers, an obliterated tackle position, young and unproven tailbacks, rookie corners and unknown quantities at linebacker. PEACE OUT, JOE! Do what you do!

Now suddenly we're to assume Jeff Ireland has done his job and if it fails it's about Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill?

I don't get it.

Here's a roster with an improved pass rush, improved wide receivers, an obliterated tackle position, young and unproven tailbacks, rookie corners and unknown quantities at linebacker. PEACE OUT, JOE! Do what you do!

Now suddenly we're to assume Jeff Ireland has done his job and if it fails it's about Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill?

But that's definitely the way a guy like Jeff Ireland thinks. He sees talent in every guy he's brought in and if it doesn't work out then he's going to think that somebody screwed up along the way. It sure as hell can't be that the talent he thought he saw wasn't actually there.

These days it's very fashionable among fans and the media to rip Sparano and company for their inability to develop talent. Not that I think they did a good job at all but how many guys that Ireland brought in that didn't pan out here went on to do anything somewhere else? Erik Walden, maybe?

Probably true once the real games get under way. For now there is still much work to do as you suggest.

I don't get it.

This is INCREDIBLY insightful.

Apart from Wallace, piss poor WR talent -- the very definition of mediocre.

Apart from Pouncey, only decent, pedestrian or worse OL talent -- w. a glariing hole at LT.

Just gave up the best RB and only playmaker from last year's offense [apart from QB].

Improved at TE but a big question at number two.

And yeah, suddenly if the team doesn't succeed Ireland has done his job? No way. No way am I buying that.

With all those draft picks, NOT to end up with Armstread at LT and much better WR talent is just sad.

Could'a woud'a should'a. Again, on many levels.

LD

I see, I like our Qb situation. I'm behind Tannehill, but he needs to be the franchise focus. Not defensive backs. I was talking more in line with the lack of focus on offense this draft. Everyone wants to peg our free agents as solutions, but they are all temporary fixes. Wallace and Hartline are nice pieces, but we needed more dynamic talent especially in the slot and at tight end. It's painful to see how poor of a job Ireland does at recognizing offensive skill players in the draft. Every year we miss out on a dynamic playmaker because Ireland is too busy reaching for players to fill a whole.

Take for example Vontae and Sean Smith. If we'd hit on those guys we wouldn't have needed to invest ANOTHER 2nd and 3rd rounder on Taylor and Davis. We could have used those pics on offense, where Ross understands that side of the ball wins you games. We blew this draft, but that's just a consequence of previous blunders. I doubt our offense will be dramatically better and until we get a GM that can identify game changers, we'll continue to eek out 20-17 wins to another 7-9 record.

Hopefully we strike gold on Rishard Matthews and Bumphis. Maybe Thigpen can fill in the slot too. But these are prayers, hoping against hope situations.

At what point do you let the pass go?

Because of contract obligations. There's not one offensive player we could have drafted this year that would have seen significant playing time! Maybe Tyler Eiffert. Even that's a question mark. You're not going to pay Wallace, Hartline, Gibson and Keller what you paid them and not have them play for some rookie. The rookie would need opportunities to showcase what he has, and he wouldn't get with the way the roster is structured. Could he prove down the line? Maybe? But that's not what this upcoming season is about. So instead of fortifying the defense we use a pick on a 4th String WR that may or not make the team. That's a waste! Now, if we didn't address it during free-agency, you would have a valid point..

This offense don't require slot receivers. They require receivers that resemble each other and can play they X, Z and Y.

You're right it's pretty pathetic in 5 drafts to only have one dynamic gamechanger which is just Lamar Miller and we hope he turns out what we all hope him to be..

Well that's your opinion on the part we you doubt this offense will be any better!. Just check Sherman's resume he's offensive have always played well, and some of them he had far less to work with. The exception being he always had a great QB (Favre, Schaub). So if T-Hill does what Sherman is on record saying he will do. I think you're prediction on our offense will be wrong..

Back
Top Bottom