Armando Salguero: Ireland deserves praise

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nublar7, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...olphins-deserve-praise-for-cap-situation.html

This thread should be fun. :snack:

2. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Must give credit for this, but will he know how to handle all this cap space?

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Hes right Ireland has done a job job with the cap recebtly.

Now lets hope he does a job spending it.

4. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Ireland has given himself options, and right now those options are an empty vessel for everyone's hopes. Let's wait to see what he does with those options.

Past performance being the best indicator of future performance I don't think it's wise for anyone to get their hopes particularly up.

5. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

One reason we have so much cap is because we have pretty big holes at positions and that many of the guys we have drafted are not worth the price to resign.
    Look at we may not want to resign our starting RB, our LT,our DE, our starting cb, our backup qb and we no longer have a top receiver or any depth there.
    I mean seriously doesnt that account for most of our cap space. i give credit to a degree because he did somewhat fix the mess he made but lets not act like huge holes havent help create this cap space.
    No to mention if u dont resign your draft picks im sure most teams would have cap space.

6. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

Hah. Getting rid of starters and not replacing them to save money is praiseworthy? Really? Like doing so is a difficult task? GMs, as I understand it, earn praise by building teams that contend for an extended period of time.

7. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Watch how many Armando bashers praise him now!

8. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

The past draft (Tannehill, Martin, ect) was pretty solid. So by your own words, we should have another solid draft.

9. Zounds

This article just makes Armando even more of a douche, being that it contradicts almost every other article he's written within the past year. I think he's just baiting readers here because of the enormous amount of hatemail he gets.

10. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well thats if u only want to include one draft in your equation and its way too early to tell on the draft. Many on this board thought the 2007 and 2008 drafts were great and now years later they were not very good at all.

11. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

We have holes at 4 out of the 5 most important positions in the NFL: WR, CB, T, and DE. Praise the man!

12. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

Nobody's laughing any harder than me I promise you(topic). I feel as though Ross/Ireland have sapped me of any hope I have left. I've come to almost expect failure. Our 'Fins track record says it all....."BUT I'M HANGIN ON"!!!

13. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Lets see where Ireland stands in 58 days.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

all of those teams w/ the exception of oakland have been playoff teams and a buch won SBs, what good is cap room if you don't know how to use it?

15. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes thank you Ireland, we have been enjoying 7-9 seasons and poor drafts from you. Who wouldn't like those things? Oh but your supporters are doing a spin job in the levels of nyjunc about your tenure here, it was the Pat Riley plan all along to suck for 4 years straight and have cap space in 2013 for the likes of Jennings (always injured), Bowe (drops everything), and Wallace (a borderline one dimensional star).

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Starter

It's called robbing Peter to pay Paul.

He has the cap space because he is losing possibly 7 starters in FA, 32% of his starting team.

So he needs to replace them (even by re-signing a couple) in FA and the draft plus find 3-4 quality starters to upgrade to make the playoffs, IMO.

So we are looking at finding as many as 10-11 starters including re-signs.

This by a guy who has been good for 2-4 per year the last 5 years.

Good luck with that....

17. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

No threats at WR, no talent on the books at CB, a QB on his rookie deal, no explosive offensive players under contract...by damn Id hope we have some cap space.

18. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

The positive view on Ireland is so fictitious. First he gets no blame for the first 3 years because of Parcells, people actually absolve him from any wrong doing during that time.. . . then he gets no blame for bringing in terrible talent at skills positions, yet we want to praise him for having cap room this year? Well no ****. Meanwhile the Patriots are restructuring Tom Brady to probably make a run at Mike Wallace . . . I guess their GM deserves no props because they technically "restructured" and didn't keep quiet like the Dolphins. Must be painful to actually bring in talent and have to figure out how to keep that talent rather than be void of talent at several positions and remain still.

I'm glad the situation has presented himself like it has though, because the excuses for this GM we have are never ending. It's win/win for me . . . if he hits this offseason out of the park, the Fins will be a good team and I could care less about Ireland protectors saying "I told you so". However if he wets the bed like he has been, atleast we'll probably be in for a new GM . . . unfortunately he won't have the luxuries that Ireland has this year . . . but I guess Jeff "earned" it.

BTW, Armando is god awful at what he does.

19. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I think that's the prevailing attitude for many of us around here. It's mostly a bunch of noise until some actual moves are made.

I'm really curious to see whether our free agent signings tie our hands for the draft. If we don't get some improvement in each of our major positional needs during free agency, then we're almost forced to reach based on positional need during the draft. For example, if we don't at least partially fix the WR position during free agency, we won't have as much freedom with our first pick. That's drafting from a position of weakness. I want to enter the draft feeling good about going after the BPA. We can pretend that PR doesn't factor into a GM's decisions on draft day, but if we don't get a solid FA receiver and then don't draft one on day 1? There's no way Ireland and company will want to weather that firestorm, even if waiting until day 2 might be the better overall move.

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

That's exactly why I get so damn annoyed with all this "we have the most cap space since his tenure year blah blah blah" crap they're trying to spin to us. Hello, we have like 10 holes out there.

Then they try to sell to us that our mediocre free agents are actually good players and we should re-sign them to the deals they want. Yeah, to defend Ireland previous drafts they call our mediocre players "good".

21. damanref10

damanref10 Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Armando says... (Fill in the Blank)// End Thread

22. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

First thing that popped into my mind.

Armando makes a article slamming Miami: hes scum of the earth who cant write.
    Armando makes an article praising Ireland: great guy!

People on here are to funny. :lol:

23. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Mando's a moron; Omar is a racist moron for that matter. If it's other than factual straight reporting of occurences, personally I can give a **** what either of these imbeciles think!

Given that, Dlox makes a good case that there's often a correlation between cap space and starting line up holes. Presently Ireland is on the negative side of the Dividing Line although not as much after last season's draft. Let's see what he does with all the cap space and early round draft picks cuz this is "sink or
    swim"

24. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

So we're praising him because both Jake Long and Sean Smith were so bad that we have to even think about whether to resign them or not and that all that dead money from wasted FA contracts (how are you spending that money Jake Grove?) no longer with the team have FINALLY fallen off the books. Plus we don't have a #1 RB or a #1 WR.

Basically we're praising him for bumbling like one of the 3 stooges into this off season cap space. I just don't get it.

25. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

This.

I enjoy mediocre football...4 Losing seasons is great...

26. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Game, set, match.

27. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

Just because you can spend, this doesn't mean you will spend wisely. Look at the state of our country.

Ireland needs to prove he can make the right moves to build a contending team. He has his work cut out for him.

28. Digital

Digital Starter

I don't think Ireland is one of the league's best GM's. But, having lived through the days of completely horrible GM's and picking trash players in every round year after year. After continually yelling "AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ... WTF!?!?!??" after each selection where we bypassed a good player to select a bum, I'm quite happy to have a decent NFL GM. I disliked the Merling pick, the White pick, the Misi pick (I was literally jumping up and down screaming to draft Rob Gronkowski), and many many other choices he's made. But, at the end of the day, we went decades with little or no real talent from the draft, trading picks for Dante Culpepper and AJ Feeley (the backup QB from Philly ... he was here so shortly I may have the wrong initials), and other laughable players. I'm most happy to NOT be the Jets, to NOT be the team that traded for Tebow, to NOT be thought of as #buttfumble, and NOT know that the players selected imediately before and after our selection were always the better picks.

Sure, if Dimitrov (sp?) would come here, I'd take him in a second. But he isn't coming. Looking at the recent hires like Idzik, I think Ireland isn't a particularly poor GM. He's a good cap manager and he's a decent to good talent selector. I'd rather we have Jimmy Johnson calling the draft shots, but he's not available either. So, I'm OK with Ireland. But, I look at him the same way he looks at players ... if I have a chance for an upgrade I'd take it, cut Ireland, wish him well, give him a good recommendation, and move on.

29. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

I would rather have atrocious cap management and a Superbowl

30. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

:lol: One things for sure, these guys really know how to get a reaction out of fans, positive or negative. Hook, line, sinker.

31. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

Acorns .... acorns

32. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

Armando isn't so much sitting on the fence as he is doing things with the fence that are illegal in most southern states. :ponder:

I remember he wrote against the Ireland marchers, then the next day he wrote on how to more effectively march against Ireland.

He is a joke, a long standing sad pathetic joke. The only joke sadder than him is the clown on wsvn who does sports.

33. Firewall

Firewall Active Member

Praise for what? Doing nothing in 4 years?

Some people . . .

34. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

So if you only say positive things about the Dolphins: no agenda.
    If you say negative things about the Dolphins: agenda.

I did laugh at how you shot someone a thumbs down a single post after you complained about receiving thumbs down. :lol:

For such a short post, it had alot of funny in it.

35. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Yep. I think we can all name ten posters who no matter who we draft will praise it as being anywhere from solid to great just like they do after every single draft. The constant negative Nancys used to be my pet peeve but its now the ones who laud every single move and defend everything dolphin that irk me more. I mean there are a number of people who refuse to say one critical thing about the team. I mean if we were the pats fine but not even close

36. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

The team has been bad for ten years. Pick up your standards.

37. beast_mode

beast_mode Well-Known Member

I can't believe the negative-nancy Ireland bashers on this board. A few points for you all to consider:
    - Ireland has not yet lost any starters that are due to hit free agency. Having said that, I think it's very smart for him to let them hit free agency so that he doesn't end up overpaying them before the market dictates their value. IMHO, chances are that many of the free agents the dolphins are interested in re-signing will be disappointed with their market value and will re-sign with the fins on reasonable terms. Of course we will lose a few like maybe Bush, Matt Moore, McDaniel but it seems Jeff has a priority plan so that we end up with value players on the roster.
    - Furthermore, the money that he saves on players not re-signed will be allocated to players in free agency that better fit our needs. Like a difference-maker WR for example. Yes he will have to overpay for this type of player, but it's still value in the sense that it fits better with what our new coaching staff is trying to do. He will also go after some value players like he did in the past with Randy Starks, Anthony Fasano, Cameron Wake, Matt Moore, Kevin Burnett; All free agents and trades that didn't break the bank in terms of cap or draft picks but turned out to be solid starters or better.
    - We still have the very deep (by all accounts) draft where we have 9 picks, 6 of which are in the first 3 rounds. I am very excited about this, in part because of how this last draft turned out. How many of the players drafted do you all think should make the team and have an impact? I would conservatively say about 5 or 6 including UDFA's.
    So between resigning our own FAs going by priority, picking up a few free agents that better fit our system, and being in good position in a deep draft, there's plenty to be optimistic about. I commend Ireland for putting us in this situation and I'm pretty confident he'll do well in the coming months based on what he's done recently, including having found us a possible franchise QB.

Wildbill3 likes this.
  38. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

So on one hand, he deserve credit for not letting free agents go. On the other hand, he deserves credit for letting free agents go. Outstanding.

This thread turned out great, highly amusing.

39. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

Why is that a mindset to belittle?

You can't let them all go and you can't keep them all.

40. Zounds

Stupid.