Armando Salguero: Ireland deserves praise | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Ireland deserves praise

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...olphins-deserve-praise-for-cap-situation.html

The Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, and New Orleans Saints all either cut players or restructured contracts to help create cap room for themselves in the coming weeks.

Other teams, such as the New York Giants, might be ble to do little by way of re-signing their own players because they expect to be knocking their helmets on the cap's ceiling.

Meanwhile, all is well with the Miami Dolphins. All is quiet. Nothing to see here.

Why?

Well, because Jeff Ireland has done an excellent job saving his (or owner Stephen Ross's) pennies the past couple of years and the savings have added up to a boon in cap space this year.

(Peanut gallery: But Mando, the reason the Dolphins have so much cap space is because they're just a mediocre team that didn't make the playoffs for the fourth year in a row. If you're not in the playoffs, you should have cap space the next offseason.)

Wrong.

Let us refer back to the list of teams above that had to do invasive surgery on their contract structure to get out from under their salary cap ailments. The Bills didn't make the playoffs. Neither did the Jets. Neither did Dallas, Oakland, Philadelphia, Detroit or New Orleans.
The point is there is no way to cheat the salary cap. It must be managed wisely to keep a team in position to enjoy its benefits.

Jeff Ireland and his team have done that for 2013. I recognize many of you don't like the idea of giving Ireland credit for much of anything. Those folks understand why I started saying you might not like reading this post.

This thread should be fun. :snack:

Must give credit for this, but will he know how to handle all this cap space?

Hes right Ireland has done a job job with the cap recebtly.

Now lets hope he does a job spending it.

Ireland has given himself options, and right now those options are an empty vessel for everyone's hopes. Let's wait to see what he does with those options.

Past performance being the best indicator of future performance I don't think it's wise for anyone to get their hopes particularly up.

One reason we have so much cap is because we have pretty big holes at positions and that many of the guys we have drafted are not worth the price to resign.
Look at we may not want to resign our starting RB, our LT,our DE, our starting cb, our backup qb and we no longer have a top receiver or any depth there.
I mean seriously doesnt that account for most of our cap space. i give credit to a degree because he did somewhat fix the mess he made but lets not act like huge holes havent help create this cap space.
No to mention if u dont resign your draft picks im sure most teams would have cap space.

Hah. Getting rid of starters and not replacing them to save money is praiseworthy? Really? Like doing so is a difficult task? GMs, as I understand it, earn praise by building teams that contend for an extended period of time.

Past performance being the best indicator of future performance I don't think it's wise for anyone to get their hopes particularly up.

The past draft (Tannehill, Martin, ect) was pretty solid. So by your own words, we should have another solid draft.

Watch how many Armando bashers praise him now!

This article just makes Armando even more of a douche, being that it contradicts almost every other article he's written within the past year. I think he's just baiting readers here because of the enormous amount of hatemail he gets.

The past draft (Tannehill, Martin, ect) was pretty solid. So by your own words, we should have another solid draft.

Well thats if u only want to include one draft in your equation and its way too early to tell on the draft. Many on this board thought the 2007 and 2008 drafts were great and now years later they were not very good at all.

We have holes at 4 out of the 5 most important positions in the NFL: WR, CB, T, and DE. Praise the man!

Nobody's laughing any harder than me I promise you(topic). I feel as though Ross/Ireland have sapped me of any hope I have left. I've come to almost expect failure. Our 'Fins track record says it all....."BUT I'M HANGIN ON"!!!

Lets see where Ireland stands in 58 days.

all of those teams w/ the exception of oakland have been playoff teams and a buch won SBs, what good is cap room if you don't know how to use it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes thank you Ireland, we have been enjoying 7-9 seasons and poor drafts from you. Who wouldn't like those things? Oh but your supporters are doing a spin job in the levels of nyjunc about your tenure here, it was the Pat Riley plan all along to suck for 4 years straight and have cap space in 2013 for the likes of Jennings (always injured), Bowe (drops everything), and Wallace (a borderline one dimensional star).

Back
Top Bottom