Armando Salguero: Ireland deserves praise | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Ireland deserves praise

It's called robbing Peter to pay Paul.

He has the cap space because he is losing possibly 7 starters in FA, 32% of his starting team.

So he needs to replace them (even by re-signing a couple) in FA and the draft plus find 3-4 quality starters to upgrade to make the playoffs, IMO.

So we are looking at finding as many as 10-11 starters including re-signs.

This by a guy who has been good for 2-4 per year the last 5 years.

Good luck with that....

No threats at WR, no talent on the books at CB, a QB on his rookie deal, no explosive offensive players under contract...by damn Id hope we have some cap space.

Hah. Getting rid of starters and not replacing them to save money is praiseworthy? Really? Like doing so is a difficult task? GMs, as I understand it, earn praise by building teams that contend for an extended period of time.

The positive view on Ireland is so fictitious. First he gets no blame for the first 3 years because of Parcells, people actually absolve him from any wrong doing during that time.. . . then he gets no blame for bringing in terrible talent at skills positions, yet we want to praise him for having cap room this year? Well no ****. Meanwhile the Patriots are restructuring Tom Brady to probably make a run at Mike Wallace . . . I guess their GM deserves no props because they technically "restructured" and didn't keep quiet like the Dolphins. Must be painful to actually bring in talent and have to figure out how to keep that talent rather than be void of talent at several positions and remain still.

I'm glad the situation has presented himself like it has though, because the excuses for this GM we have are never ending. It's win/win for me . . . if he hits this offseason out of the park, the Fins will be a good team and I could care less about Ireland protectors saying "I told you so". However if he wets the bed like he has been, atleast we'll probably be in for a new GM . . . unfortunately he won't have the luxuries that Ireland has this year . . . but I guess Jeff "earned" it.

BTW, Armando is god awful at what he does.

Lets see where Ireland stands in 58 days.

I think that's the prevailing attitude for many of us around here. It's mostly a bunch of noise until some actual moves are made.

I'm really curious to see whether our free agent signings tie our hands for the draft. If we don't get some improvement in each of our major positional needs during free agency, then we're almost forced to reach based on positional need during the draft. For example, if we don't at least partially fix the WR position during free agency, we won't have as much freedom with our first pick. That's drafting from a position of weakness. I want to enter the draft feeling good about going after the BPA. We can pretend that PR doesn't factor into a GM's decisions on draft day, but if we don't get a solid FA receiver and then don't draft one on day 1? There's no way Ireland and company will want to weather that firestorm, even if waiting until day 2 might be the better overall move.

The positive view on Ireland is so fictitious. First he gets no blame for the first 3 years because of Parcells, people actually absolve him from any wrong doing during that time.. . . then he gets no blame for bringing in terrible talent at skills positions, yet we want to praise him for having cap room this year? Well no ****. Meanwhile the Patriots are restructuring Tom Brady to probably make a run at Mike Wallace . . . I guess their GM deserves no props because they technically "restructured" and didn't keep quiet like the Dolphins. Must be painful to actually bring in talent and have to figure out how to keep that talent rather than be void of talent at several positions and remain still.

I'm glad the situation has presented himself like it has though, because the excuses for this GM we have are never ending. It's win/win for me . . . if he hits this offseason out of the park, the Fins will be a good team and I could care less about Ireland protectors saying "I told you so". However if he wets the bed like he has been, atleast we'll probably be in for a new GM . . . unfortunately he won't have the luxuries that Ireland has this year . . . but I guess Jeff "earned" it.

BTW, Armando is god awful at what he does.

That's exactly why I get so damn annoyed with all this "we have the most cap space since his tenure year blah blah blah" crap they're trying to spin to us. Hello, we have like 10 holes out there.

Then they try to sell to us that our mediocre free agents are actually good players and we should re-sign them to the deals they want. Yeah, to defend Ireland previous drafts they call our mediocre players "good".

Watch how many Armando bashers praise him now!

First thing that popped into my mind.

Armando makes a article slamming Miami: hes scum of the earth who cant write.
Armando makes an article praising Ireland: great guy!

People on here are to funny. :lol:

Mando's a moron; Omar is a racist moron for that matter. If it's other than factual straight reporting of occurences, personally I can give a **** what either of these imbeciles think!

Given that, Dlox makes a good case that there's often a correlation between cap space and starting line up holes. Presently Ireland is on the negative side of the Dividing Line although not as much after last season's draft. Let's see what he does with all the cap space and early round draft picks cuz this is "sink or
swim"

So we're praising him because both Jake Long and Sean Smith were so bad that we have to even think about whether to resign them or not and that all that dead money from wasted FA contracts (how are you spending that money Jake Grove?) no longer with the team have FINALLY fallen off the books. Plus we don't have a #1 RB or a #1 WR.

Basically we're praising him for bumbling like one of the 3 stooges into this off season cap space. I just don't get it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes thank you Ireland, we have been enjoying 7-9 seasons and poor drafts from you. Who wouldn't like those things? Oh but your supporters are doing a spin job in the levels of nyjunc about your tenure here, it was the Pat Riley plan all along to suck for 4 years straight and have cap space in 2013 for the likes of Jennings (always injured), Bowe (drops everything), and Wallace (a borderline one dimensional star).

This.

I enjoy mediocre football...4 Losing seasons is great...

One reason we have so much cap is because we have pretty big holes at positions and that many of the guys we have drafted are not worth the price to resign.
Look at we may not want to resign our starting RB, our LT,our DE, our starting cb, our backup qb and we no longer have a top receiver or any depth there.
I mean seriously doesnt that account for most of our cap space. i give credit to a degree because he did somewhat fix the mess he made but lets not act like huge holes havent help create this cap space.
No to mention if u dont resign your draft picks im sure most teams would have cap space.

Game, set, match.

Just because you can spend, this doesn't mean you will spend wisely. Look at the state of our country.

Ireland needs to prove he can make the right moves to build a contending team. He has his work cut out for him.

I don't think Ireland is one of the league's best GM's. But, having lived through the days of completely horrible GM's and picking trash players in every round year after year. After continually yelling "AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ... WTF!?!?!??" after each selection where we bypassed a good player to select a bum, I'm quite happy to have a decent NFL GM. I disliked the Merling pick, the White pick, the Misi pick (I was literally jumping up and down screaming to draft Rob Gronkowski), and many many other choices he's made. But, at the end of the day, we went decades with little or no real talent from the draft, trading picks for Dante Culpepper and AJ Feeley (the backup QB from Philly ... he was here so shortly I may have the wrong initials), and other laughable players. I'm most happy to NOT be the Jets, to NOT be the team that traded for Tebow, to NOT be thought of as #buttfumble, and NOT know that the players selected imediately before and after our selection were always the better picks.

Sure, if Dimitrov (sp?) would come here, I'd take him in a second. But he isn't coming. Looking at the recent hires like Idzik, I think Ireland isn't a particularly poor GM. He's a good cap manager and he's a decent to good talent selector. I'd rather we have Jimmy Johnson calling the draft shots, but he's not available either. So, I'm OK with Ireland. But, I look at him the same way he looks at players ... if I have a chance for an upgrade I'd take it, cut Ireland, wish him well, give him a good recommendation, and move on.

:lol: One things for sure, these guys really know how to get a reaction out of fans, positive or negative. Hook, line, sinker.

Back
Top Bottom