Armando -The Miami Dolphins spent all season dealing with a surprise problem no one could solve | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando -The Miami Dolphins spent all season dealing with a surprise problem no one could solve

I said it a bunch during the season, having Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas on the same team was a bad idea.

No Offense meant, for repeating the obvious but teams even with losing records don't quit on the coach during the season.

Losing Dansby hurt way more than just tackles, Same with B.A. and I hate to say it Same with Rotten Richie. Each of those guys held themselves and their position groups accountable and bled over onto the entire team.

Hopefully during this offseason the F.O. will look for Vets who can still play and can still lead their position group and the team.

Very hard to bring in any player from the outside and expect them to lead
their position group or be a vocal leader

I agree with the other posters that pointed out that Suh should be a leader of this team. He is a vet but, more importantly, he is the highest paid guy on the team. He leads by example with his play but he needs to help the rest of the team with accountability and to give them a kick in the seat when they need it or coach them up when they are struggling.

Very hard to bring in any player from the outside and expect them to lead
their position group or be a vocal leader
Agreed.
You can see how Dwyane Wade was unable to fill that leadership role last year in Chicago, even with all his clout and natural leadership abilities.

Fasano was probably brought in to help fill that Offense leadership role but being a new face to most of the team, and backup, it was an uphill battle.

Next year, I'm hoping that Drake can have a strong leadership role on this team. Being a starter on this team, running hard, and showing the fire he showed in the last game, I'd hope that resonates with the team and helps earn him the respect and open ears of the team. He seems the type to want to lead but just didn't have the clout on the team prior to now.

I don't always agree with what the FO does but BA moving to guard would not have been a good idea. He was injured all the time while playing LT against smaller speed guys. Playing inside with all that traffic and facing 320 lbs DT's was not going to be a good idea at all. They did the right thing of letting him go.......what they did wrong was replacing him with Larsen. That did NOTHING to make the line better. We needed to get two new guards or one plus a center and instead they got us a career back up. Gase trusting Pouncey to be the "leader" of the o-line was another mistake. Pouncey would rather lead a street gang

Ozzy rules!!

I recall during the Parcells years, they drafted Odrick, Misi etc and afterwards the FO stated that all the players in that draft had been voted captains of their respective college teams and they were picked by the Dolphins specifically because they felt the team needed leaders.
Didn’t exactly work out.
This is an in exact science.

Interesting article:

Others have said 1st year FAs aren't expected leaders. I certainly expected Suh, Jones, Kiko, Pouncey, Landry to step up. Apparently not. That said, a LOT of starters were FAs or 1st/2nd year guys. Very few had 'leader' status.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194358364.html

Basically without Tannehill and Brandon Albert the Dolphins had zero leadership among the players this year. Cutler is.... Cutler, Pouncey didn't seem interested outside the OL and this was what they brought Timmons in for but he went awol.

I recall during the Parcells years, they drafted Odrick, Misi etc and afterwards the FO stated that all the players in that draft had been voted captains of their respective college teams and they were picked by the Dolphins specifically because they felt the team needed leaders.
Didn’t exactly work out.
This is an in exact science.
They tried that in the 2014 draft with Arthur Lynch, Turner, Tripp and crew. Here we sit in 2018, still looking for that leadership.

File it away: Leadership was a major issue in Miami in 2013. The Dolphins went through a bullying scandal that caused a media firestorm and suffered a late-season collapse while having a chance to make the playoffs. Five of Miami’s first six drafted players -- James, Landry, Turner, tight end Arthur Lynch and linebacker Jordan Tripp -- were team captains for their respective college teams. That was not a coincidence. Hickey made it a point to acquire natural leaders to place in Miami’s locker room. The Dolphins are putting a heavy emphasis on character at the top of this draft as they work to remake their locker-room image.
http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/7305/dolphins-draft-wrap-up

he went awol one game. Im not sure how much leadership could help a team lacking in talent and coaching. Tannehill, the savior he is, was still on the team. I never saw him once rally the troops on the sideline He is the biggest waste of time
dumbest thing ive heard in a while. why didn't Marino get in there and motivate them? he's such a bad qb...

Being a leader isnt for everybody, it's not like you just look around and decide you're going to be a leader. Being a good football player doesnt mean you're a good leader. From what I've read, McMillan is supposed to be a natural leader, but he's still pretty young. There's no easy fix, you just keep on drafting guys who show leadership qualities and it will take care of itself IMO...

Tannehill has never been that leader even when healthy. It's not a knock on him but I think he was only voted co team captain once maybe. I could be wrong but he and Wake and Suh aren't the leader type it seems.

The Dolphins didn't vote on captains / have standing team captains for the first 2 or 3 years under Philbin. Philbin's idea was to have different captains every week, citing a Packers practice he had seen in the past. I think he changed that in his last season before he got fired.

he went awol one game. Im not sure how much leadership could help a team lacking in talent and coaching. Tannehill, the savior he is, was still on the team. I never saw him once rally the troops on the sideline He is the biggest waste of time

Did you go to any games? I did. Tannehill was as involved on the sidelines as anyone all season from what I saw.

One more reason I wanted to keep B.A. on the team.

When I discovered that he had actually been receptive to the idea of moving to Left Guard so that Tunsil could take over the LT spot for the future, and that Miami still didn't want him back, that annoyed me.

Very lousy move in hindsight, IMO.
JDW I don't doubt you, but I thought he said that he wouldn't and that's why they cut him

Back
Top Bottom