Armon Binns could force his way into the Miami receiver rotation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Take this for what it is worth because Florio has shown his disdain for the Miami organization in the past:
    read more:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rce-his-way-into-the-miami-receiver-rotation/

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

this is one of those show me in pads things...and philbin may like bigger slots but that also gives the opposition more to hit and to take big shots at...especially if he's gonna be working around lbs etc...better have that head on a swivel...

i think in pads this is one guy where the shines gonna come off somewhat...i don't expect the dominant performance to keep up...but it would be nice to have another valid option

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Appart from the last game where he had some drops I thought he did well last season for someone brought in half way through the season. Especially compared to a vet like Gaffney who never got up to speed, same with Armstrong.

4. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I agree. We've gotta see him shut us up about the drops.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Liked him in college. Would love to see him do well. Wouldn't be surprised to see both he and Rishard Matthews leap up into significant playing time along with Hartline and Wallace.

6. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I am not an Armon Binns fan, and do not have him on my 5-6 WR wish list, but nothing would make me happier if he proved himself enough, where he made it on pure will. The talent is there, and honestly if he is able to show better concentration, he could be a very good receiver to have....especially as our #4 or 5 receiver.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i liked him at cinci also but the biggest issue i have had with him as a pro is he hasn't shown much burst or ability to separate...it's hard for me to see how thats changed this year but i guess we'll see...not a great explosion athlete to date in the pros...kinda meh

8. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

If he would just stop dropping the ball, he'd be great.

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think the drops thing has been overplayed a bit...i know he dropped some balls late last season but i don't see stone hands or anything...i'm more worried about can he get off tight coverage...

10. Statler Waldorf

Statler Waldorf Bench Warmer

So most likely we're looknig at Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, and Binns making the 53?

11. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

For now I'd say that's a good prediction, but things can change once the pads come on and the preseason games start.

12. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Ugh. So we're an injury to Wallace away from having the worst WR corps in the NFL again.

LD

13. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

You could say that about most teams if their #1 wr got hurt. The only teams I can think of that wouldn't be screwed are Green Bay, Atlanta, G-men, Seattle and Denver. I'm sure there's probably one or two more but I'm on vacation & the festivities have began.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

there's no doubt you lose mike wallace and this wr core looks a whole lot different...him being healthy is pretty much critical...he doesn't have to catch 6 balls a game but he does have to be on the field and available...or we become a lot easier to scheme for and defend...

15. scodoublet

scodoublet Anywhere. Anytime. Donator

Not a fan, but if he's improved enough that Philbin thinks he's worth it, then that ain't a bad thing!

16. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Can't lie, I'm getting sick of hearing about Binns. Sure hope he still pops when the pads come on.

17. normaldude

normaldude Starter

He's looked great in practice, but he hasn't looked great in actual games.

18. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I think this is a sign that our WR corps is not as improved as everyone thinks. Binns would be borderline or cut on a team with a good WR corps, but for us...he is the one standing out in OTA's. He shouldn't be...Mathew or Gibson should be stepping up, but they are not.

19. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

All signs so far point to him making an impact up to this point. Let's see what the preseason brings.

20. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

all my stocks I invested in looked real good the day I bought them.shall wait and see

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

must admit I was not a big fan of his when he kept dropping passes.
    it was Ted Binns JR.all over again

21. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think another factor this thread is not taking into account is how much better we are with Keller @ TR compared to Fasano

22. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

I like binns, I think in the long run, he and Mathews will unseat Gibson. but it doesn't have to be this year. they just have to show improvement

23. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

i could CARE LESS about ANY name thats on the back of a jersey.

show me the guy who gets in the endzone CONSISTANTLY, heck, just get in once in a while and thats my guy.

the rest is ALL HYPE which there seems to be a whole lot of and WAY to early with this team right now.

i gotta see it. when it counts.

24. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

So you do care

25. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Binns is a possible option that has some possibility upside that we all witnessed last year. This time last year all we had to work with, look at was a healthy Bess and a unhealthy Hartline who we knew could catch a football. Now we have Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Mathews and Binns who can catch a ball. Much better depth, how talented that is up for debate.

26. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

That is certainly one way to look at it, then again you could just as easily say he would probably be the clear #2 on the pats right now.

27. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

To be honest I am slightly more interested in Tyms. Jasper Collins and Bumphis are two others that could make things interesting. These guys that are fighting for 4-6 this year are a lot better than M. Moore, Wallace, and Fuller from last year. If just one of these guys step up we will be in good shape.

28. mbhcu98

mbhcu98 Well-Known Member

And you know Binns would get cut on a team with good WRs.... how? No one said Hartline or Wallace has stepped up in OTAs, is anyone saying a thing about that? How do you know Gibson or Matthews isn't stepping up? Because of this one lil article about Binns? If you can't see out WR corps is much improved then you little about football.

29. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

He doesn't know that, he mostly seems to assume the Dolphins roster is always among the worst in the league. He got cut in Cincinnati, therefore he must suck and only the Dolphins would sign him. I guess if Miami does sign Vonta Leach that he must suck since a good team like the Ravens cut him. Forget that most consider him the best fullback in the NFL, Miami only signs bad players. :lol:

Seriously though Binns performing well in OTAs doesn't mean he is going to be great or that the rest of the WR corps is struggling. Just means Binns performed well in OTAs. Simple as that. Lets not forget that Binns biggest supporter right now is Omar "attmepted murder" Kelly. The same guy who pumped up Legadu Naanee last offseason as being an OTA and mini camp stud.

Now that doesn't mean Binns is destined to the same failures of Naanee, but we need to keep things in perspective. I do think it is encouraging that he is doing well and I would much rather hear good things about him in OTAs than bad things. The fact is that Binns can be a solid #4 and perhaps give Gibson some legitimate competition for the #3. That is actually a good thing, not a bad thing as Dr. Phin suggests.

I still see it panning out like this:

1. Wallace
    2. Hartline
    3. Gibson
    4. Binns/Matthews
    5. Binns/Matthews

30. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

I was hoping that Bumphis guy makes the team. i hear that country boy from WV has got some moves despite his serious drinking problem. :chuckle:

31. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think there's a good chance that Keller is #2 on this team in TD receptions and maybe even yards. Of our receiving threats with any track record in the NFL, he's the only one with the athleticism to make D's pay for focusing on Wallace.

32. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think Keller and Hartline will have the most catches while Wallace should lead us in TD's and possibly yardage.

33. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

It has nothing to do with "one lil article." There have been many reports saying that Gibson is not fitting in well so far in the slot. Mathews hasn't been getting the attention either, Binns has...and quite frankly he did not impress me at all last year. He didn't impress other teams either...that's how we ended up with him. Wallace hasn't even been making a big splash either.

So far, the WR corps is only improved on paper...and is looking to actually be worse in the slot. It was supposed to be improved with Marshall before. How'd that work out? So don't tell me, "if you can't see our WR corps is much improved, then you know little about football"; because if you don't put offseason moves in perspective and look beyond the hype....then you know nothing about football.

I have seen this type of hype too many times be drawn in. This WR may be great...and it may also flop. Wallace may turn out to be a "one trick pony" like some think, and we may not end up with anyone who plays the slot well. This WR corps has just as good a shot as being a complete failure as it does at being great.