Ask Boomer | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

PHINSfan said:
Ok Boomer as always your insights are great, and very much appreciated. Now imagine that you are responsible for the fins draft... after watching the Orange Bowl, and thoroughly evaluating Leinart and Rodgers, what would you do?? Trade down,top rated RB,LT,D-line???
Well guy, let us know what you think would be our best route to take, also hope the little one is not keeping you and mommie too tired!! good luck with her.

I haven't seen the Orange Bowl yet, although I have seen a lot of Leinart obviously. He is certainly an option. If it was me, I would try to instigate some moves into the 10-25 portion of the draft where the real value lies. If I couldn't move, then I would have to think that Leinart, Edwards or Pollack would represent best value for that slot.

She's doing good. Tiring, but worth it.

hey Boomer, what are your projections for what will happen in the first round of the draft?

nick19991 said:
hey Boomer, what are your projections for what will happen in the first round of the draft?

I think 32 players will go off to 32 teams in a period of about 7 hours.

Sorry.

I think there will be a lot of trading in the SECOND half of the draft and that underclassmen will rule. I think we will rue the day we used a 2nd rounder on AJ Feeley because there will be a HELL of a lot of movement IMHO around that area.

Boomer said:
I think 32 players will go off to 32 teams in a period of about 7 hours.

Sorry.

I think there will be a lot of trading in the SECOND half of the draft and that underclassmen will rule. I think we will rue the day we used a 2nd rounder on AJ Feeley because there will be a HELL of a lot of movement IMHO around that area.

The second round thing is really eating atcha is'nt. :lol:

Boomer said:
Am I giving out those vibes??? ;)

we really could use that 2nd rounder but we can still get a 2nd rounder by trading down

nick19991 said:
we really could use that 2nd rounder but we can still get a 2nd rounder by trading down

Gotta have a trade partner. Don't see that many out there as we stand today.

Simon, the man with the hair, Mel Kiper Jr. seems to be real high on Alex Smith. He compared his status to Phillip Rivers last year. Give us your assessment on how much Smith needs to do at the combine and in the All Star games to move to a top 10 pick.

EDIT: Kiper was on ESPN radio this morning saying he thought Smith was a top 10 pick.

Also, with this talk of Pete Carroll, and Norm Chow, to the Niners, is Aaron Rodgers a "can't pass up guy" at #2?

Thirdly, does Donald Lee have any trade value :lol:

NJPHINFAN said:
Simon, the man with the hair, Mel Kiper Jr. seems to be real high on Alex Smith. He compared his status to Phillip Rivers last year. Give us your assessment on how much Smith needs to do at the combine and in the All Star games to move to a top 10 pick.

EDIT: Kiper was on ESPN radio this morning saying he thought Smith was a top 10 pick.

Also, with this talk of Pete Carroll, and Norm Chow, to the Niners, is Aaron Rodgers a "can't pass up guy" at #2?

Thirdly, does Donald Lee have any trade value :lol:

Going in reverse order, the 49ers are trying to deal their 1st pick in the next decades drafts for penalty boy. No seriously, Donald can be a real player for us if he can up his concentration levels. The team understands I think that the payoff for the talent is that he has the learning difficulties and the effect that that has.

With Carroll and Chow, I can't see how they wouldn't take their boy Leinart.

With Mel......I'm one of his biggest fans. I really like the guy and I think he's the best out there, DESPITE his hair. I know a lot of teams have Smith as a mid 1 and others lower down in the 2nd and beyond. But the anaolgy with Rivers is dead on. The caveat to that is that Smith won't be playing any all star games, so teams will only get to see him in workouts and at the combine to gauge his drop back ability, arm strength, etc etc. Rivers had the Senior Bowl week which was VITAL to his rise. The worry is that he - Smith - runs a gimmicky offense, out of the shotgun, etc etc etc. Is he the ultimate system passer or can he be a top edge pro? He's ULTRA SMART so I doubt he has troubl picking up new offense, but has the tools to run a pro offense? Can he convert? If his stock continues to rise, it's not out of the realms of possibility that HE can be the #1 overall pick or that we would take him at 2. I think its a stretch, but he will be the most talked about player between now and April for sure.

Boomer said:
Going in reverse order, the 49ers are trying to deal their 1st pick in the next decades drafts for penalty boy. No seriously, Donald can be a real player for us if he can up his concentration levels. The team understands I think that the payoff for the talent is that he has the learning difficulties and the effect that that has.

With Carroll and Chow, I can't see how they wouldn't take their boy Leinart.

With Mel......I'm one of his biggest fans. I really like the guy and I think he's the best out there, DESPITE his hair. I know a lot of teams have Smith as a mid 1 and others lower down in the 2nd and beyond. But the anaolgy with Rivers is dead on. The caveat to that is that Smith won't be playing any all star games, so teams will only get to see him in workouts and at the combine to gauge his drop back ability, arm strength, etc etc. Rivers had the Senior Bowl week which was VITAL to his rise. The worry is that he - Smith - runs a gimmicky offense, out of the shotgun, etc etc etc. Is he the ultimate system passer or can he be a top edge pro? He's ULTRA SMART so I doubt he has troubl picking up new offense, but has the tools to run a pro offense? Can he convert? If his stock continues to rise, it's not out of the realms of possibility that HE can be the #1 overall pick or that we would take him at 2. I think its a stretch, but he will be the most talked about player between now and April for sure.

I agree that Donald Lee can be a good player in this league, he has the hands and I think he's a great blocker... Alex Smith is very smart and has great scrambling ability, he can learn the NFL fast and thats why I think he will be a great QB in the NFL

Boomer,

I know you are a Kiper guy, as am I.
We all know we need to improve our running game and in all liklihood need another back. With our Cap situation I cant see us affording a big name or even Davenport or Jordan. The suitors will drive the price too high IMHO.
Simple question:
With Kiper rating the top 3 talents all at RB, and us needing a RB, how can we not draft one with a 1st round pick (either via trade down or not)?
Some have said we need a LE, DT OL and they are right. However I cant see picking another player in the 1st that sits the bench while this team's D ages. I think the only position where a rookie will come in next year and make a huge inpact is at RB. Thoughts?

Boomer what do you think about this:
1)go after Water Jones in the free agency period
2) trade down
3) pick up a rb with our 1st pick, then a qb with our 2nd (obtained from trading down)
4)go after a d-lineman with our 3rd pick and a o-lineman with our 4th pick
5)draft the best available player with our lasts picks.

caneaddict said:
Hey Boomer-
Thanks for all your great insight. Your scouting is very impressive. Would you please elaborate a bit on what you said in an earlier post:

"some of the early college games I watched involved tremendous college players like Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross and Clarkston Hines of Duke and Steve Taylor of UCLA. Once I worked out why these great collegians weren't going to be great pros, that was half the battle."

I'm curious what are some of the qualities that you look for to distinguish great college players from great NFL players? I remember a few years back I expected Troy Edwards to become a great pro. He's OK but was incredibly productive as a college WR. Obviously Raghib Ismael and plenty of others never quite made the transition. I know that raw numbers (height, speed etc.) are more important in the NFL. However, there are successful guys in the League that don't have blazing speed (Jerry Rice) or freakish natural athleticism and height (Zach Thomas). So how do you go about analyzing which players will overcome physical inferiority or will be unable to take advantage of physical superiority? And how does that affect your final assesment of who will make it in the League and who is just a great college player?

Cane this is a great question. Seriously. I am not ignoring it but will get to it soonest.

Anyone know all the Dolphins Draft Picks for 2005?

Aside from #2 overall, Boomer thoughts on our other selections and possible trades to go down and acquire other picks, etc.

Boomer, I know you have said before you think we should give Feeley a chance, but we may not get another chance at a franchise caliber QB like this. That being said I don't think there is any way we can pass on Leianrt if he is there. I don't see him lasting past the first pick but I also like Rogers alot. I know Leinart is getting all of the attention, but Rogers seems to have a better arm and more athleticism. He reminds me alot of David Carr. I guess you would know better than me if that was a fair assesment, but the point is I think the Dolphins need to take a long look at Rogers with the #2 pick and maybe go RB in FA with a guy like Jordan or Johnson. What are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom