Ask Boomer | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

sports24/7 said:
Boomer, I know you have said before you think we should give Feeley a chance, but we may not get another chance at a franchise caliber QB like this. That being said I don't think there is any way we can pass on Leianrt if he is there. I don't see him lasting past the first pick but I also like Rogers alot. I know Leinart is getting all of the attention, but Rogers seems to have a better arm and more athleticism. He reminds me alot of David Carr. I guess you would know better than me if that was a fair assesment, but the point is I think the Dolphins need to take a long look at Rogers with the #2 pick and maybe go RB in FA with a guy like Jordan or Johnson. What are your thoughts?
Forget either QB.....

Give me Ricky's $8.6M, trade down and draft OL.

We can live with Feeley (or Fiedler, but Jay is more $$$$). We can live with our RB (trade Konrad for picks, move Smith to FB).

Get more picks and draft young OL to help move the bodies (LT, C top priorities).

My 2 cents -

We don't get Ricky's money. Wayne does.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Forget either QB.....

Give me Ricky's $8.6M, trade down and draft OL.

We can live with Feeley (or Fiedler, but Jay is more $$$$). We can live with our RB (trade Konrad for picks, move Smith to FB).

Get more picks and draft young OL to help move the bodies (LT, C top priorities).

My 2 cents -
Feeley may be an option (although I am starting to think he may never be anything better than average), but Fiedler is not. I like Gordon alot, but he has not proven he can be healthy. I don't want a O-Lineman in the draft because they take time to develop and we don't have time for that. O-Line needs to be fixed through FA. IMO we should go QB or RB in the 1st. My main point was that Rogers is a good player. We may not be in a position to acquire a franchise caliber QB like him again for a long time and I think Saban will have to take a long hard look at him.

Hey Boomer, I'm a newbie but a long time FAN. I know the focus is on the draft and FA but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy feeling over the possible hiring of the crew from LSU. I think Saban is the man for our move to the future but his supporting cast is equally as important. Your opinion?

Boomer, Happy New Year!! Please, if you haven't compare Leinart and Rodgers to some of the young QBs in the NFL. How do they rate in your opinion against Harrington, Hasselback, Eli Manning, Big Ben, Boller, Brees, Rivers etc. If you feel as though these two are equal to the Elis and Hasselbacks of the world at #2, dispite our many other needs, should we not bring in a potential star QB? IMO we don't have one at this stage and that's a huge concern. If San Francisco takes Lienart and you have Rodgers in the Rivers, Eli, Big Ben range how can you not make the bold move. Miami had other needs when we took Marino but QB is just so important and when do we ever have a #2 pick in the draft. If we can bring in a difference maker who can upgrade the offensive side of the ball I think we'd better go for it. I'm tired of watching below average QBs ruin our offense. Think big, give the star coach a star QB.

I think Sage did OK. I didn't see the game, but I saw the highlights and I have talked to people who did. The pick 6 was a bad throw, plain and simple. But he showed enough to garner a 2nd look.[/QUOTE]

Boomer~
Have enjoyed your insight and was feeling a sense of confidence in your observations. But after your statement that you think Sage did OK and you didn't even see the game, Well that kinda speaks for itself and kinda puts things in a different perspective. Personally Sage didn't impress me with his throws that looked weak and didn't have any real power and authority behind them.As compared to the zip that AJ's passes have shown. But I do take under consideration that it was his first start. Just the Quality of his throws were not really impressive, even though many were completions.I'd recommend at least seeing a player on your own before making and broadcasting your hightened opinion through out the board. I have enjoyed your opinions its just now knowing you may be making judgements on players you haven't seen is weird.

caneaddict said:
Hey Boomer-
Thanks for all your great insight. Your scouting is very impressive. Would you please elaborate a bit on what you said in an earlier post:

"some of the early college games I watched involved tremendous college players like Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross and Clarkston Hines of Duke and Steve Taylor of UCLA. Once I worked out why these great collegians weren't going to be great pros, that was half the battle."

I'm curious what are some of the qualities that you look for to distinguish great college players from great NFL players? I remember a few years back I expected Troy Edwards to become a great pro. He's OK but was incredibly productive as a college WR. Obviously Raghib Ismael and plenty of others never quite made the transition. I know that raw numbers (height, speed etc.) are more important in the NFL. However, there are successful guys in the League that don't have blazing speed (Jerry Rice) or freakish natural athleticism and height (Zach Thomas). So how do you go about analyzing which players will overcome physical inferiority or will be unable to take advantage of physical superiority? And how does that affect your final assesment of who will make it in the League and who is just a great college player?

Mate, I have just written a hugely long answer to this and then my computer crashed as I was spell checking it. I will re-do it but it may take a while.

Bowl_Bound said:
Boomer,

I know you are a Kiper guy, as am I.
We all know we need to improve our running game and in all liklihood need another back. With our Cap situation I cant see us affording a big name or even Davenport or Jordan. The suitors will drive the price too high IMHO.
Simple question:
With Kiper rating the top 3 talents all at RB, and us needing a RB, how can we not draft one with a 1st round pick (either via trade down or not)?
Some have said we need a LE, DT OL and they are right. However I cant see picking another player in the 1st that sits the bench while this team's D ages. I think the only position where a rookie will come in next year and make a huge inpact is at RB. Thoughts?

I think it has to be a strong possibility. I don't see us taking Benson. I think it may be that the hard charging, electrifying style and much improved durability and hands of Carnell Williams, mixed with Lamar Gordon, proves too much for Coach Saban.

PHINSfan said:
Boomer what do you think about this:
1)go after Water Jones in the free agency period
2) trade down
3) pick up a rb with our 1st pick, then a qb with our 2nd (obtained from trading down)
4)go after a d-lineman with our 3rd pick and a o-lineman with our 4th pick
5)draft the best available player with our lasts picks.

Hey phinsfan - I don't think we have the cash for Walter Jones. He is clearly the #1 LT in the NFL at the moment and he will command a fee that we simply cannot afford.

Trade down is great, but at the moment I don't see a reason for anyone to trade up.

RB is good 1st, not sure about a QB in 2. I'm just not sure how Saban views Feeley.

Agree that a DL and OLmen should figure at some stage, be it in R1 or in that mid portion 3-5.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Aside from #2 overall, Boomer thoughts on our other selections and possible trades to go down and acquire other picks, etc.

The most tradeable player we have is Surtain. His value isn't a 1. Is it a 2? Maybe. But not having a pick from pick 2 to the 3rd round leaves us in a tough spot in terms of trading. Unless someone slips and we get an offer at the top of 3 to move to the end of 3 and pick up a 4, then it's tough.

I don't want to see us giving up future picks, a hallmark of the Wannstedt era.

FinFan 61 said:
Hey Boomer, I'm a newbie but a long time FAN. I know the focus is on the draft and FA but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzy feeling over the possible hiring of the crew from LSU. I think Saban is the man for our move to the future but his supporting cast is equally as important. Your opinion?

Welcome mate. You are spot on. It is an interesting period in terms of who we go for as our assistant coaches. The guys he has brought from LSU are good positional coaches at this level. It will be interesting to see who he can bring in as OC and DC's. Until we know for sure who they are it's a tough call, suffice to say that you are spot on about the supporting cast.

Cuzinfinny said:
I think Sage did OK. I didn't see the game, but I saw the highlights and I have talked to people who did. The pick 6 was a bad throw, plain and simple. But he showed enough to garner a 2nd look.

Boomer~
Have enjoyed your insight and was feeling a sense of confidence in your observations. But after your statement that you think Sage did OK and you didn't even see the game, Well that kinda speaks for itself and kinda puts things in a different perspective. Personally Sage didn't impress me with his throws that looked weak and didn't have any real power and authority behind them.As compared to the zip that AJ's passes have shown. But I do take under consideration that it was his first start. Just the Quality of his throws were not really impressive, even though many were completions.I'd recommend at least seeing a player on your own before making and broadcasting your hightened opinion through out the board. I have enjoyed your opinions its just now knowing you may be making judgements on players you haven't seen is weird.[/QUOTE]

:shakeno:

Read my comment again. I said "I THINK he did OK". I didn't profess to saying that he DID do OK, just that "I think" he did. I made the point that I didn't see him. Check this thread. There are NUMEROUS occasions where I comment that I can't judge a player because I haven't seen them.

"Does the sun rise in the east?"
"I think so".

Meaning I don't know for sure.

I've seen enough of Rosenfels as a collegian to know all about his arm and I have seen, as I said, enough of the highlights of the Ravens game to judge his arm strength and his usefulness to us in the future. Reading trusted friends and the work of journalists AS I STATED, it's clear that he they think he deserves a 2nd look. No more, no less. Not the starters job, not being annointed to Canton, just another look.

If you think I'm making judgements on players I haven't seen then cool. But read this thread. I'd have to have one hell of an imagination to make this lot up.

sports24/7 said:
Feeley may be an option (although I am starting to think he may never be anything better than average), but Fiedler is not. I like Gordon alot, but he has not proven he can be healthy. I don't want a O-Lineman in the draft because they take time to develop and we don't have time for that. O-Line needs to be fixed through FA. IMO we should go QB or RB in the 1st. My main point was that Rogers is a good player. We may not be in a position to acquire a franchise caliber QB like him again for a long time and I think Saban will have to take a long hard look at him.
FA is a fine theory, but I dont see any hi-caliber OL in FA or RFA.

Boomer said:
Boomer~
Have enjoyed your insight and was feeling a sense of confidence in your observations. But after your statement that you think Sage did OK and you didn't even see the game, Well that kinda speaks for itself and kinda puts things in a different perspective. Personally Sage didn't impress me with his throws that looked weak and didn't have any real power and authority behind them.As compared to the zip that AJ's passes have shown. But I do take under consideration that it was his first start. Just the Quality of his throws were not really impressive, even though many were completions.I'd recommend at least seeing a player on your own before making and broadcasting your hightened opinion through out the board. I have enjoyed your opinions its just now knowing you may be making judgements on players you haven't seen is weird.

:shakeno:

Read my comment again. I said "I THINK he did OK". I didn't profess to saying that he DID do OK, just that "I think" he did. I made the point that I didn't see him. Check this thread. There are NUMEROUS occasions where I comment that I can't judge a player because I haven't seen them.

"Does the sun rise in the east?"
"I think so".

Meaning I don't know for sure.

I've seen enough of Rosenfels as a collegian to know all about his arm and I have seen, as I said, enough of the highlights of the Ravens game to judge his arm strength and his usefulness to us in the future. Reading trusted friends and the work of journalists AS I STATED, it's clear that he they think he deserves a 2nd look. No more, no less. Not the starters job, not being annointed to Canton, just another look.

If you think I'm making judgements on players I haven't seen then cool. But read this thread. I'd have to have one hell of an imagination to make this lot up.[/QUOTE]
Boomer -

I totally understand where your coming from with the "Sun rising in the East" comment.

You don't have to "see" something with your own eyes all the time to know in your gut the reality of a situation.

That being said.....

You wear the GM (HC) (Owner) hat and give me insight on how you improve the team and return it to a division leader.

Going to this RFA, FA, and Draft period can you rank the positions in order of importance to fill, and via what method.

Very curious to see your thoughts and what areas we need to clearly address and the most realistic options we have in filling those areas.

Thanks -

P.S. not to be a total weenie, but in my Madden 2005 game as owner of the team, I have taken the 2004 squad that finished 7-9 (CPU controlled). I traded Fiedler to improve LT (low 80 rating), traded Minor to improve C (low 80 rating) (kept Gordon), traded Konrad to improve LE (mid 80 rating) (moved Smith to FB). All three trades are 8-10 point improvements of the existing positions.

I did sign Westbrook (RB) as RFA. Gave up #1 in 2006.

Drafted DT, CB, RB,

LOL, I know total weenie.....but its fun to see if things improve. Anyway, the CPU ran the 2005 season and the team finished 2nd in the East (made playoffs) at 10-6. I know its totally unscientific, but it proved my theory that the OL, DL, really plays a bigger role, than a stud QB, RB, WR, "playmaker" would do.

Thoughts?

Boomer said:
I think it has to be a strong possibility. I don't see us taking Benson. I think it may be that the hard charging, electrifying style and much improved durability and hands of Carnell Williams, mixed with Lamar Gordon, proves too much for Coach Saban.

So you think Cadillac is more probable than Ronnie Brown? I am leaning toward the later.

Back
Top Bottom