Assume All the Top Guys Hit Their Potential | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assume All the Top Guys Hit Their Potential

Gardenhead

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Assuming all the top guys hit their potential, who would you take? Gotta go with Ryan, right?

There's some saying about assumptions...

something about u and me or something like that ;)

Assuming all the top guys hit their potential, who would you take? Gotta go with Ryan, right?

Not really, I think I would go with Chris Long . . . I mean if Chris Long is anything like his pops, thats money in the bank . . . I'm just concerned with him in a NFL 3-4.

Cuz IMO, Ryan isn't THAT much better than the other QB's, but that is me.

Based on potential I would say: Chris Long and McFadden

Safe Pick: Jake Long (Will be a solid tackle for many years in the NFL, will have to work on his protection against speed rushers to be elite, but he is a perfect fit on this Dolphins team)

Pick I would not make: Matt Ryan . . . I'm sorry, I just don't see him as the elite guy over the other QB's. I don't want us paying #1 pick money to a guy who I feel isn't heads and shoulders other QB's in this draft (Flacco, Brohm, Henne).

Based on potential... it's hard to go against Flacco, the guy has an arm most quarterbacks wish they had.
Realistically though, I think Calais Campbell (though he's not considered a 'top guy') could be great if he ever reaches his top potential. Then again Flacco isn't a 'top guy' either.

If you know that J Long, C Long, and M Ryan all become NFL studs, you HAVE to pick Ryan. Try convincing some that Ryan will become an NFL stuf, however.

A very loaded question when you think of all the immensely talented guys that never lived up to the hype. If you are talking about high ceiling guys you have to bring up Gholston and McFadden. A bigger key in my mind is trying to measure their hearts and their brains over share athletic ability. That's where the status of Chris Long and Matt Ryan excel over others.

It depends on who defines the potential. I don't see Ryan's potential as that high so he wouldn't be my pick. I would love to have a great LT but many people don't see that in J. Long. I think Gholston or Mcfadden probably have the highest ceiling.

Chris Long has the most potential and would help us the most next season in my opinion. he has LT, Shawn Merriman like potential. this guy is made for our defensive scheme I don't know why ur concerned about him transfering to OLB

If everyone hits their potential I'd go with Gholston personally. I think both Longs are already pretty close to their potential--you know you're getting an excellent football player. The one's with loads of unrealized potential but the highest ceilings are guys like Gholston, Groves, Otah, Williams, etc. The only thing preventing them from being all-world is that they're just not the best football players at present, they're getting by on insane athletic ability. But if they become great players, students of the game, technicians, and acquire the instinctiveness of players like Zach Thomas, then those guys have HoF potential. The problem with the Longs isn't any of that, it's that their ceilings are much lower than some of the other guys ... the reason they're going to be at the top of everyone's draft boards is because they're already dominant football players ... not because of their potential to improve. Someone like Groves though has the potential to be truly great ... but it's going to take a lot of improvement as a player for him to get there in the NFL.

As for QB's, I don't think Ryan has the potential to be a franchise QB. Brohm, Henne, Flacco, I'd say one of them might eventually become top QB's. Brohm is the best of the bunch I think, and he's going to be ready pretty soon. Flacco and Henne are sorta projects IMHO, and they'll both need 3 years in the NFL before they really start to shine.

From some of the scouting reports, if Ryan hits his potential, he will be a successful, but NOT franchise type QB. On the other hand, if McFadden hits his potential, they'll be talking about him in the same breath as they do LT who's probably been more of a game changer for his team than anyone else in the last 3-4 years. Using the "assumptive relative impact quotient" I guess I'd have to go with McFadden if we're gonna step away from reality to play this game. Back in the realm of reality, I'd be happy "going Long."

If it were guaranteed that they would all hit their potential, I think Flacco would have to be the pick because the QB position is so important and with his size and arm strength he has big potential. However QB's are far from guaranteed to fill their potential, and are possibly the riskiest picks so I don't think the Dolphins should go in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom