Assumptions if Chris Long is taken... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assumptions if Chris Long is taken...

PHINishinStrong

Starter
Reaction score
If Chris Long is taken with the first pick and Jason Taylor isnt traded, where would we plug in Chris Long since we are playing a straight up 3-4 defense? He plays DE in a 4-3 and a OLB in a 3-4...

The front seven would look like this....

DE-Vonnie Holliday
DT-Jason Ferguson
DE-Matt Roth
ROLB-Jason Taylor
ILB- Reggie Torbor
ILB- Channing Crowder
LOLB- Joey Porter

I think Chris Long is a good pick only if he plays the majority of the snaps... Plus we would be wasting a whole lot of money to have C. Long on the bench his first year subbing in/out.

Randy Starks will be starting in front of Matt Roth for sure.

There is no way Chris sits on the bench.

I think there is a possibility IF Jason is not traded that Joey Porter could become expendable.

I still think JT gets traded before camp though.

If Chris Long is taken with the first pick and Jason Taylor isnt traded, where would we plug in Chris Long since we are playing a straight up 3-4 defense? He plays DE in a 4-3 and a OLB in a 3-4...

DE-Vonnie Holliday
DT-Jason Ferguson
DE-Matt Roth
ROLB-Jason Taylor
ILB- Reggie Torbor
ILB- Channing Crowder
LOLB- Joey Porter

I think Chris Long is a good pick only if he plays the majority of the snaps... Plus we would be wasting a whole lot of money to have C. Long on the bench his first year subbing in/out.

I think JT gets traded. If he doesn't, it might signal that we are going in a different direction at #1.

Randy Starks will be starting in front of Matt Roth for sure.

There is no way Chris sits on the bench.

I think there is a possibility IF Jason is not traded that Joey Porter could become expendable.

I still think JT gets traded before camp though.

Whats up Korl? Been a while.

DE-Vonnie Holliday
DT-Jason Ferguson
DE-Matt Roth
ROLB-Jason Taylor
ILB- Reggie Torbor
ILB- Channing Crowder
LOLB- Joey Porter

Replace Roth with Starks. Matt Roth is too small for a 3-4 DE 9only weighs 260ish, needs to be 290-305ish).

I think wee would trade JT but i really dont know. Both guys are too small to play DE in a 3-4. Long would be a better strongside OLB, which is where they are. Porter is weakside. They might try and move one of the three to inside for a year (porter, Long, or JT; id say porter). but i see them drafting chris long and trading JT for a 2nd and 4th or to jacksonville for the 1st pick (rumored to be interested in trade that pick for JT). we could really pick up a nother good guy with that pick.

I don't think Jason Taylor will be on the Dolphins, but I think Porter could be moved inside. I don't think it's the intention of the Dolphins to play Taylor at SLB and Porter at WLB, or they wouldn't have offered that much money to Calvin Pace.

I don't think Jason Taylor will be on the Dolphins, but I think Porter could be moved inside. I don't think it's the intention of the Dolphins to play Taylor at SLB and Porter at WLB, or they wouldn't have offered that much money to Calvin Pace.

Wouldn't putting Porter inside be playing him out of position of his strengths. Didn't he struggle half the season last year because they played him out of position.

I may be in the minority here but what makes everyone so sold on Holliday? He's 32 years old and had 42 tackles last year and 2 sacks. Not bad but not that impressive either. I wouldnt be surprised to see him on the bench if JT isnt traded. If JT isnt traded and Chris Long is the 1st selection, this is how i see our front 7 looking:

DE- Randy Starks
DT- Jason Ferguson
DE - Chris Long
OLB- Jason Taylor
ILB - Channing Chrowder
ILB - Reggie Torbor
OLB - Joey Porter

Now before everyone jumps me for saying Chris Long would play some DE, dont forget there is nothing that says he cant put on some weight. I would imagine he would play a little of both DE and OLB in this scenario. I also could see us cutting Joey Porter if we dont end up trading JT because of his contract and his mouth. Not that i would suggest this but i could definitely see it as a possibly.

Wouldn't putting Porter inside be playing him out of position of his strengths. Didn't he struggle half the season last year because they played him out of position.

He struggles with Pitt at the ILB spot. He struggled with us last year at OLB. But that was because he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and it took him a while to understand the play book. When he got it everything clicked and he started playing a lot better.

I may be in the minority here but what makes everyone so sold on Holliday? He's 32 years old and had 42 tackles last year and 2 sacks. Not bad but not that impressive either. I wouldnt be surprised to see him on the bench if JT isnt traded. If JT isnt traded and Chris Long is the 1st selection, this is how i see our front 7 looking:

DE- Randy Starks
DT- Jason Ferguson
DE - Chris Long
OLB- Jason Taylor
ILB - Channing Chrowder
ILB - Reggie Torbor
OLB - Joey Porter

Now before everyone jumps me for saying Chris Long would play some DE, dont forget there is nothing that says he cant put on some weight. I would imagine he would play a little of both DE and OLB in this scenario. I also could see us cutting Joey Porter if we dont end up trading JT because of his contract and his mouth. Not that i would suggest this but i could definitely see it as a possibly.

So we sit Holliday, Roth, trade JT and possibly cut Porter to find room for Chris Long . . . but we settle for Julius Wilson and Mormino on the line instead of drafting Jake Long . . . . I mean I just don't understand sometimes.

My Miami Dolphins DREAM Mock (First 6 Rounds):
1(1). Jake Long - LT - Michigan
2a(32). Quentin Groves - DE (3-4 OLB) - Auburn
2b(57). Antoine Cason - CB - Arizona
3(64). Mario Manningham - WR - Michigan
4(96). Martellus Bennett - TE - Texas A&M
6(188). Erik Ainge - QB - Tennessee

^^^

i love this draft!

Back
Top Bottom