Barnwell's offseason report cards on Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mjsexton, May 16, 2017.

1. mjsexton

mjsexton Rookie Finheaven VIP Donator

2. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

And if we hadn't paid them, it would be "Look how the Patriots retain their young talent while the Dolphins let theirs walk."

Just a bunch of hot air by the typical espn blowhards.

3. Vector1Dolphins

Vector1Dolphins Seasoned Veteran

Barnwell's a Clown and a Pat's fan...IMO we did good this offseason...We only need to get one more player signed as far as I'm concerned and that's Landry...When I read this crap this morning I thought to myself I can add this clown to the list of people that can kiss my ***..

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  4. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

They are right about the money. We overpaid everyone. We overpaid on every single contract.

Compare that to...uh...another NFL team who manages to underpay players. We need to get tougher on making deals but also we need to win more and win Championships so more players will want to play for us instead of just wanting to get paid to play for us.

Atila, gunn34, fishfanmiami and 3 others like this.
  5. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Who exactly is this assclown - and why is he still there while Ed Werder and Andy Katz have been pink slipped?

joenhre likes this.
  6. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

That seems really harsh. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, though, and it's just one person's thoughts on the offseason.

I think most here think Miami had a good offseason. The one complaint I've heard the most is in regard to the Branch contract. That still seems a bit high to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the cap can chime in on where the Dolphins are heading into next season. This writer made it sound pretty bleak and I didn't get that impression from the moves.

joenhre likes this.
  7. HeavenCent

HeavenCent Member

Can't believe I gave that bum a click. Shame on me.

joenhre likes this.
  8. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

BSPN...that's all I need to know.

joenhre likes this.
  9. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

How did that write up lead to a D+ and the Jets one garner a C+? It's like he didn't understand what he was writing. The main negative was overpaying (can't say I disagree) but everything else was kind of meh. I don't get the grade unless he thinks a couple risky contracts are gonna send this team spiraling into oblivion, which is unlikely. The offensive line is the most likely culprit for that ... he mentioned it instead of focusing on it.

Confusingly bad piece.

10. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

All you need to know is it's ESPN, and the off-season report is done from one of their Pats loving writers.

Why does Miami score lower then everyone in the AFC East? Maybe because all of a sudden Miami might be breathing down the Patriots neck.

-Tannehill has taken the next leap to becoming a franchise QB.

-Miami not only has by far the best young RB in the AFC east, it could have one of the best in the NFL.

-Miami might have found the next young superstar HC to take them to victory for year to come.

-Miami receiving group is easily the best in the East, and one of the best in the NFL.

-Miami's O-line made some positive strides, especially when Pouncey was healthy, now we have an aggressive OG who could fix another problem.

-Our Achilles heal was our defense, so we went hard on defense in FA, and the Draft with some very good talent.

Though it is pretty obvious Miami has a ways to go to reach the Pats, if all of those thing up there are even remotely close to continuing to be on the positive side, then I understand why those Pats Fanatics at ESPN would try their best to bring down what Miami has done...it's getting a tad scary in bean town.

11. Digital

Digital Starter

That's a very sophomoric article. He has a little knowledge and manages to misuse it. Comparing Landry to Tavon Austin is true high comedy. Austin's comparable is Jakeem Grant, not Jarvis Landry. Landry has HUGE hands and is a great catcher of the ball. Yes, Landry is quick, but nowhere near as quick as Austin, who is a tiny guy with tiny hands and zero physicality. Plus, while size is one of Landry's strengths, it is the defining negative for Austin. While Austin's defining strength is truly blazing speed, that is the biggest negative that Landry has is his speed. It would be hard to find someone less equivalent to Landry than Tavon Austin. That just shows you that the author has no clue who Jarvis Landry is or what his game is ... he just knows he plays the slot.

If you read his article ... you wouldn't expect the grade he gives either. IMHO, he does that for shock value .. those sorts of things tend to generate hits on the website. With everyone giving out good grades, to harsh on a team incites their fans (which means more clicks) and creates a stark contrast with the teams to whom you gave better grades (which means more clicks from those other teams' fans). It creates the illusion that the other grades are earned. Hack writer writes more hack stuff.

12. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

without knowing the contract details, and how the money is spread out, I think it's hard for me to bag on the dolphins for overpaying for some players. However, I know for a fact Kenny Stills took less to stay here, and by a good amount. Tannehill, while some lament about his contract, took less to stay here also.

13. mjsexton

mjsexton Rookie Finheaven VIP Donator

I would agree with that. I think the contracts signed this offseason were reasonable market value and not too heavy on future year guaranteed money. We did not overpay for a big name and kept or brought in good value talent.

14. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

At least he had a good editor and didn't confuse Harris with Hayes ...

15. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Yes we spent some extra money this year, compared to last year when we let our free agents walk and spent most of our money on street guys. A mistake IMO. We did it right this year just over spent a bit which if we continue winning will help as players in many cases take less to play for a winning club. Plus the message is clear you play well we take care of our own.

16. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Garbage article by a garbage writer, ESPN sucks

17. Vaark

Maybe it was just his agent ginning up interest, but I read in several places that the market for Branch was heating up. Stills gave us a hometown discount; Kiko was fair; Jones is a top flite safety in the league. We may have overpaid a bit for Timmins but the deal for Hayes more than counterbalances that.

It's very plausible that the roster players we re-signed would have gotten more elsewhere if the FO wasn't so proactive. Also, Buffalo gets credit for overpaying Taylor.. this moke is all over the place.

18. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

Lol, I was curious what you guys thought of that article. Glad to hear it probably isn't so bad as a D+. I was depressed for a minute there. He was so articulate and specific. We do seem to still suck at guard. Hope that Asiata can make a difference.

19. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

Overpaid for everyone? I recall Kenny Stills taking less money offered to him so he can return to the Dolphins. I remember his quote "it's team, not money."

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  20. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

Ha! A D+. The guy is just trying to be a ****. He could have easily given the Dolphins a C-. Now the Dolphins GPA is screwed. What an *******. ;-)

Superself likes this.
  21. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

These sort of articles always make me laugh. Is there a point system that helps one "grade" an NFL team? How does one even come up with a D+? Or a B-?

Superself and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  22. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

Barnwell is a tool. I never heard of this @$$ clown until two months ago when he gave poor grades to the Fins FA signings.

23. Vaark

24. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

LOL, Vaark!!!!

Vaark likes this.
  25. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

My brother sent that to me. Ridiculous grade.

26. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Usually butt hurt by the usual suspects, the overpaying and cap impact is spot on.

27. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

I honestly dont know what I was expecting from Capt Combover.

28. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

1. New England is New England
    2. my team dolphins did over spent on some guy that they need in free agent but key to 2017 is going be thill17. dolphins will be in lots of closed games this yr. the two min drill might be key . another 10-6 and wildcard will gave dolphins respect in nfl.
    3. bills seem lost all ready. they have some talent on team. their problems is going be coaching and gm.
    4.the bottom line jets need qb... they are not going no way

29. FinJay614

FinJay614 Well-Known Member

Didn't read it. We got slammed for letting Charles Clay walk as opposed to overpaying him three years ago and again last year for not overpaying for Vernon. We can't win in the view of sports writers.

30. rcasellas64

rcasellas64 Well-Known Member

Guys that's why ESPN is dying a slow death. No one of quality remain.

31. bradmcnutt13

bradmcnutt13 A True Fan

Probably paid too much for Timmons, Branch and Kiko. I especially thought we gave Kiko too much. Also right that we did little to address the interior oline.

32. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Expert use of the word moke!

fishfanmiami and Vaark like this.
  33. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

I agree, but if I was being honest, and I am, I had to look it up. Love the usage, it fits perfectly, and you don't get those funny little ***. ;-)

34. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The danger of becoming complacent with the plan because you went 10-6 is a fear also, as he points out. Denver might have done us a huge favor on that front, even if Burke is instructed to run the same scheme it still has to change somewhat with a different coach. Though I disagree with the notion that it can't get any worse because despite breaking records such as giving up the most yards the overall defense still ranked 19th according to Football Outsiders. So we were below average but nowhere near as bad as New Orleans Saints bad.

35. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Here's a question. We don't like ESPN. So who is your favorite writer?

36. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

D+ for a team because we decided to smarten up and stop getting rid of homegrown talent lol

If we would've let Stills go, we would been looked at as a losing franchise nobody wants to play for.

Either way, we lose when it comes to the cridicks.

I can't wait until Timmons starts showing how serious our LBing problem really was.

Timmons didn't fall off as much as people say. Leading the Steelers in tackles the last 5 years isn't falling off.

The playoff game against us he had 14 tackles and 2 sacks lol

Versus the Pats he had a team high in tackles also with I believe 14-15 tackles

Ya those Bills had a killer offseason lol Fired head coach, no stability, no direction, no added talent except grossly overpaying a fullback.

The Jets..well they drafted safeties back to back in the 1st and 2nd which should immediately give them an F.
    Who's their QB again? Nobody including the dumb Jets FO knows. JOKE!!

I still think it's funny that we got destroyed for signing one of the best players in the NFL and a likely Hofer in Suh ,yet the perfect pats can pay a "good" corner in Stephon Gilmore $15 mil a year and it's a good pick up lol

If we had the worst offseason in our division, then damn we're in serious trouble.

I just don't see it that way by any stretch of the imagination. It's not even close and actually discredits this dude's creditability very much.

ESPN is a joke for not realizing the impact the cheap yet smart pick ups we got in Timmons, Thomas, Hayes, and Mcdonald.

I know they mention it but they really must not understand what we need which should make this article obsolete which I'm sure most are thinking.

Complete joke to give us the worst grade considering our well put together draft, smart pick ups, and keeping good talented players.

37. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

I love how everyone lauds New England for talent retention when they have let several good to great young players walk over the years. If you win people look past it, if you lose you get the criticism.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  38. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

What did Barnwell predict for the Dolphins' record last year? His tone is arrogant and makes him sound like a self-proclaimed expert. He can write well and knows facts, but he lacks analytical skills. He sounds like he thinks he has a better handle than Adam Gase, who I, and many others, happen to believe is on his way to being an elite coach. Gase is smart, relates well to players, can lead, is a tactician, and is tough. He's the whole package. Yet, Barnwell writes in such an arrogant, dismissive tone about Miami's moves involving a coach who did extremely well and knows football beyond anything Barnwell can imagine.

Beyond that, Barnwell's analysis and apportionment to the resulting letter grade are lacking. Barnwell can regurgitate the transactions Miami made, but he doesn't see how it fits together. The Dolphins on defense lacked alpha males, leadership, and toughness. There's a reason why they targeted Timmons. Last year's linebackers were an abomination. But, what's worse, the Dolphins D laid down and showed no resilience the last couple of games. The Dolphins are paying Timmons for his presence and bringing toughness to the huddle. The Dolphins' run defense was awful last year, and physical, downhill linebacking was a crucial piece missing in hitting running lanes. You are acquiring players for certain ingredients which may not be found on a stat sheet but matter in W/L's.

I don't think the Dolphins overpaid Stills. We heard the numbers out there, and Miami got him at a reasonable price. Barnwell claims there were other speed receivers. Not really, though, at Stills' production and price point. Stills has rapport with Tannehill. You start screwing around with stuff like chemistry and you will get burned. These are subtle points and Gase gets that. And what Barnwell did not address, and what he apparently does not understand, is that Gase wants to send a message in his locker room. He wants his players to trust him and buy in. Other players see Stills gets paid, and it's positive motivation. Barnwell misses the point.

Regarding Kiko, he can be a lightening rod. There are times he gets bulldozed, and he's a bit light in the pants, which causes him to be injury prone. He's not a big, physical guy. But, he may benefit from the additions of McMillan and Timmons. He can move to a different spot where he may be able to make plays and take less of a pounding. The guy can make plays. He jumped that route beautifully against the Chargers and won the game for Miami against a very good quarterback. Frankly, having watched linebackers who couldn't make a play of their life depended on it for the better part of a decade, Kiko was a breath of fresh air.

Finally, Barnwell misses where Miami is. They have a number of ascending players who are coalescing. They have the best young coach in the game. The Dolphins have some guys who should be improving, and the offseason moves address problems from last year. I'd still like to get a physical, run stuffing D Tackle, but I don't think you will see that sad defense that we watched against NE and Pit late last year.

Will every move work out? I doubt it. As far as filling actual needs and plugging a leaky roster, I'm not sure anyone in the division did better. But, I don't see how you get D+ out of that

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Phins28, Vaark and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  39. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Pro Bowler

I do think we overpaid for some of our players. By letting guys walk last year we got 3 comp picks and Ajayi became a beast. Surprise info from article to me was how we will need to cut guys next year to be under cap where in past years our cuts just gave us more cap room. If we don't resign Landry we will tag him and we will have 190 mill on the books for next year

40. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

this guy is clueless if he is given the bills a higher grade. pats did some good things. dont see any other teams improving except us and the pats. guy is a tard or a bills/pats nut huger.