Barry Jackson 7/11/13 : Lamar Miller turning heads as Gore mentors | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson 7/11/13 : Lamar Miller turning heads as Gore mentors

pillBOXhat

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Really encouraging stuff regarding Miller's work ethic, dedication, and SPEED.

So this is what your new Dolphins starting running back is doing while much of the NFL vacations:
Running. Lifting. Squatting. Sled-pulling. Pushing to validate every ounce of faith the Dolphins have placed in their gifted young back.
What makes the monotonous grind more pleasurable for Lamar Miller is that he is doing it alongside his friend and fellow Hurricane, Frank Gore.
“The way Lamar is learning from Frank, it’s a beautiful thing,” Steelers linebacker Sean Spence, another former Cane, said this week.
Gore’s mentoring of Miller has been one of the neater Dolphins-flavored stories of the summer, the four-time Pro Bowler and 49ers star taking the second-year protege under his wing. They work out together twice a day – with a group of other NFL players in the morning in North Miami Beach, and just the two of them, with a trainer, on a Davie field at night.
“Since Lamar started gravitating toward Frank, his work ethic and mentality are unparalleled,” said Pete Bommarito, who runs the highly-regarded Bommarito Performance Systems, where Gore, Miller and many other NFL players train during offseason mornings.
Miller, who almost assuredly will replace Detroit-bound Reggie Bush as Miami’s starter, began spending a lot of time around Gore a couple of months ago, at the suggestion of their agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Bommarito said Gore helped show Miller “how to take care of his body, what to do beyond what is required.”
Gore has noticed another change since they became workout buddies: “His footwork got a lot better."
Privately, the Dolphins believe Miller can be not merely a good starting back, but a great one.
“He’s the fastest running back I’ve ever seen,” said Bommarito, who has trained dozens of them, including Maurice Jones-Drew.
What’s more, Miller said he’s even faster than the player who averaged 4.9 yards on 51 carries as a rookie.
“I’ve gotten quicker doing lateral work, and I’ve become more explosive by training every day doing squats on my legs,” he said.
“[And] I’m stronger. Last year, I was kind of lost getting adjusted to the speed of the game and knowing where I’m supposed to be at all times. Now I’m very comfortable with the system.”
Gore said of the elite UM backs of the past 20 years – Edgerrin James, himself, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Miller – “Lamar is probably the fastest. He reminds me of Portis.”
Teammates, impressed with Miller’s improvement in his pass protection, believe he’s ready for the more prominent role that awaits.
Olivier Vernon, Miller’s Dolphins and former UM teammate, compares him to Tennessee’s Chris Johnson, who ran for 2006 yards in 2009. Philip Wheeler said “he’s really good. Speedy, and that’s what we need.”
“He’s just so smooth,” Matt Moore said. "As shifty as Lamar is, he's more of a downhill guy than Reggie. His nature is to go north and south.... You can see during walkthroughs that his leadership has stepped up. He has grabbed it."
Brian Hartline jokes he has a “man crush” on Miller, while also expressing affection for backup Daniel Thomas.
“And he’s a good kid,” Gore said. “We motivate each other.”
The relationship is especially meaningful for Miller because of their common roots. Both starred in high school locally: Gore at Coral Gables, Miller at Killian.
“We grew up in the same neighborhood – he’s just 10, 15 minutes away from me,” Miller said. “I used to look up to all the UM running backs growing up because that’s where I wanted to go. I want to keep the legacy of the University of Miami going.
“It has been great working with Frank, and it is going to help me in my game. He has given me a lot of tips.”
As they work side by side in the evening, Gore reminds Miller that most players around the league aren't doing anything like this on a July night --- traditionally a vacation period for many players -- and how that will give him a leg up on the competition, some way, some how, once the games begin.

I love how the Hurricane players look after each other. I'm expecting big things out of Miller. He was a beast at the U.

I hope Miller lives up to all this hype, kid has awesome potential

That's encouraging! I'm hoping he can be a durable back for us.

That's the key, to stay healthy..the kid looked good last year in spot duty, but the season is long, and the grind tough, when you're doing it full time.. but I'd like to see him play a full season unhurt..I actually think he can turn out to be special.

I follow him on twitter and I saw Lamar and Frank pushing sleds at the stadium not too long ago...

I didnt know they were training to this extent, though. I am probably more excited to see Lamar Miller than Mike Wallace. And Frank Gore is the man... I wonder if he busted out his dolphin hat? :d-day:

Lamar Miller > Trent Richardson

Said it before the draft. Said it after. Saying it now. I love the kid.

I certainly don't want summer to come to an end, but I CAN'T WAIT for Dolphins football to start!!

Back
Top Bottom