Barry Jackson: Dolphins one of 10 teams to attend DJ Hayden's private workout | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphins one of 10 teams to attend DJ Hayden's private workout

TheWalrus

1/7/14
Reaction score
### A week after summoning Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden to team headquarters, the Dolphins were one of 10 teams to attend his private on-campus workout today. The Dolphins really like Hayden, as well as Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Boise State’s Jamar Taylor and a few other corners.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said Hayden is the best cornerback in the draft and worthy of the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] pick. Mel Kiper says he’s more of a borderline first-rounder; he also puts Taylor in that category.

### The Dolphins have summoned a few small school players to team headquarters, including Chadron State offensive tackle Garrett Gilkey, who intrigues them as a guard prospect who can play some tackle…. Miami has called about or spent time with several of the draft’s top fullbacks, such as Harvard’s Kyle Juszczyk and Richmond's Kendall Gaskins. The Dolphins like incumbent Jorvorskie Lane, but he will probably get competition in camp.

The Jets were also at the workout (no word yet on the other eight teams). As has been widely reported, Rex Ryan was the only head coach in attendance. The Jets have so many holes it's impossible to guess who they'll pick, but you have to think Hayden is at least on the short list at both of their 1st round picks (though Rex's influence on the team seems to be waning). In other words, if you want him, you have to use #12 on him. Which I wouldn't have a problem with at all (though I rate Milliner higher).

FWIW, the Dolphins have shown interest in Hayden throughout the process. There's no word who exactly we sent to this workout of Hayden's, but our assistant secondary coach -- Blue Adams -- attended his pro day back in March.

Let me be the first to....WELCOME TO MIAMI DJ THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR COVERING HALF THE FIELD!!!
I cannot wait to see him in the new unis.

I'm all in for hayden at 12... him, tank carradine or bjoern werner. those are the guys I want at 12.

Miami has certainly been showing a lot of interest in Hayden. He visited the team HQ just over a week back. Perhaps a wildcard for our twelfth pick.

Gil Brandt reported there were fifteen teams there today, so somebody has bad information. Brandt listed the 49ers, Eagles, Buccaneers, Ravens and Saints as some other teams that were in attendance.

Miami has certainly been showing a lot of interest in Hayden. He visited the team HQ just over a week back. Perhaps a wildcard for our twelfth pick.

Gil Brandt reported there were fifteen teams there today, so somebody has bad information. Brandt listed the 49ers, Eagles, Buccaneers, Ravens and Saints as some other teams that were in attendance.

Interesting. The 10 teams figure was the first one released last night. I looked for more info and came up dry. If Brandt says 15 teams, that's probably more likely to be correct.

The variations in picks represented by the teams known to be at his workout so far is also intriguing. 9th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 31st, 32nd. All over the place. The Eagles have 4th but more likely they're interested at 35. Like a lot of these guys, I don't think the teams know exactly where he's going.

Interesting. The 10 teams figure was the first one released last night. I looked for more info and came up dry. If Brandt says 15 teams, that's probably more likely to be correct.

The variations in picks represented by the teams known to be at his workout so far is also intriguing. 9th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 31st, 32nd. All over the place. The Eagles have 4th but more likely they're interested at 35. Like a lot of these guys, I don't think the teams know exactly where he's going.

Tony Pauline reported recently there are some teams that have red flagged Hayden because of the injury, which means they won't touch him in the first round. But he does say that most teams haven't red flagged him, it's only a small number that have. So you can probably rule out a handful of teams based on that.

I can certainly see Hayden being a top fifteen pick. Pauline reported some teams are grading him on the same level as Stephon Gilmore, who went #10 overall to the Bills last year. At worst, I'd say Hayden is a top 20-25 pick based on what I'm reading. So if Miami wants him, it'll have to be at #12, or in a trade back into the first round scenario.

Tony Pauline reported recently there are some teams that have red flagged Hayden because of the injury, which means they won't touch him in the first round. But he does say that most teams haven't red flagged him, it's only a small number that have. So you can probably rule out a handful of teams based on that.

I can certainly see Hayden being a top fifteen pick. Pauline reported some teams are grading him on the same level as Stephon Gilmore, who went #10 overall to the Bills last year. At worst, I'd say Hayden is a top 20-25 pick based on what I'm reading. So if Miami wants him, it'll have to be at #12, or in a trade back into the first round scenario.

I would assume most teams that have red flagged him weren't even there. Watching him running around in shorts isn't going to tell you anything about how long it takes a sternum to heal.

What tells me more than anything that he's moved solidly into the first round is that the talking heads are really starting to move him up their boards (besides McShay, who I think had him there a while ago). These guys talk to teams and have contacts, and when I see a guy move up late in the process that usually tells me they're getting their word from their guys in the league on where certain guys who've been undervalued by the media are going to go. None of these guys want to look like Kiper did when Jimmy Clausen fell like a stone on draft day.

Mayock in particular has a history of these late game moves; McCoy overtaking Suh at the last minute, Earl Thomas over Eric Berry, now Hayden over Milliner and Fisher over Joeckel (to name a few). Now in each of those cases the guy rated higher throughout the process actually went higher (a trend I expect to continue), but it gives me an insight into what these guys are hearing. Fluker's another guy who's made a late charge as we've gotten closer to draft day, where Cordarrelle Patterson on the other hand has fallen.

Hayden is fine at 12. I have said since this process started that Dee Milliner is overrated...most overrated in the draft. Plus, Rhodes is not that far behind.

Hayden, Trufant and Taylor will all prove to better than these two. Mark it down.

BTW, how scary is Milliner's injury rap sheet now. Yikes. No thanks!

Hayden is fine at 12. I have said since this process started that Dee Milliner is overrated...most overrated in the draft. Plus, Rhodes is not that far behind.

Hayden, Trufant and Taylor will all prove to better than these two. Mark it down.

BTW, how scary is Milliner's injury rap sheet now
. Yikes. No thanks!

It only sounds scary because we don't have full medical histories on the other guys. NFL people apparently don't think it's that big a deal:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...ry.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not to mention, nothing that's happened to Milliner is 1,000th as scary as what happened to DJ Hayden.

Im okay with Hayden at 12 as well...and I think if the FO wants him they better plan on taking him at 12. However, they could also go elsewhere at 12...then move back into the first around 12 and one of Hayden, Rhodes, or Trufant would still be there most likely. I honestly could see this playing out in so many different ways...cant wait to see how it does

"Scariness" isn't really an issue for teams to worry about. Talking about how "scary" the injuries are is a red herring. Watch this hand flourish while the other hand slips a card out from a sleeve.

You have to frame Hayden's injury in real terms, not vague ones. Doctors have gone on record saying that he's at no more risk of tearing the vein than he was the first time, which was like a one in a billion chance. Just one of those freak things. Veins accumulate scar tissue when they've been injured like that, so the vein in the spot where it was torn is stronger than it was before.

However, he got his sternum opened up so they could operate. It should heal fine but it will take time. I know at least one person here on the board says he played football after he got his sternum operated on and he said he didn't feel quite the same the season after he had it done, and only felt fully back the year after that. I've heard several medical opinions now, here and elsewhere, saying full recovery off having the sternum sawed open like that does take a little bit. A little more than a year.

To me that frames his situation in very FAMILIAR terms. It's like an ACL injury. Classically with an ACL you may come back that first year after the surgery but you're not supposed to feel quite the same, generally speaking. Sometimes you're a freak like Adrian Peterson and it doesn't matter. Most times it does affect you at least a little. But by the second year, you're good as new. The difference here is that unlike with the ACL injury, the risk of re-injury is not elevated with Hayden's torn vein. Nor is there significant risk to his other ligaments as he over-compensates for the injury, which is something you often see in guys with torn ACLs.

So in a way...yeah Dee Milliner's accumulation of injuries, no matter how "not scary" they may seem...could be more pertinent. Those injuries accumulate and affect you long term. Even when you're "healthy" you've still got modified training routines and you're doing certain exercises to compensate for the damage to your soft tissues. There may permanently be things you just can't do anymore that you used to be able to do, movements that will never be as crisp or explosive as they once were, etc. Hayden's injury won't be like that.

"Scariness" isn't really an issue for teams to worry about. Talking about how "scary" the injuries are is a red herring. Watch this hand flourish while the other hand slips a card out from a sleeve.

You have to frame Hayden's injury in real terms, not vague ones. Doctors have gone on record saying that he's at no more risk of tearing the vein than he was the first time, which was like a one in a billion chance. Just one of those freak things. Veins accumulate scar tissue when they've been injured like that, so the vein in the spot where it was torn is stronger than it was before.

However, he got his sternum opened up so they could operate. It should heal fine but it will take time. I know at least one person here on the board says he played football after he got his sternum operated on and he said he didn't feel quite the same the season after he had it done, and only felt fully back the year after that. I've heard several medical opinions now, here and elsewhere, saying full recovery off having the sternum sawed open like that does take a little bit. A little more than a year.

To me that frames his situation in very FAMILIAR terms. It's like an ACL injury. Classically with an ACL you may come back that first year after the surgery but you're not supposed to feel quite the same, generally speaking. Sometimes you're a freak like Adrian Peterson and it doesn't matter. Most times it does affect you at least a little. But by the second year, you're good as new. The difference here is that unlike with the ACL injury, the risk of re-injury is not elevated with Hayden's torn vein. Nor is there significant risk to his other ligaments as he over-compensates for the injury, which is something you often see in guys with torn ACLs.

So in a way...yeah Dee Milliner's accumulation of injuries, no matter how "not scary" they may seem...could be more pertinent. Those injuries accumulate and affect you long term. Even when you're "healthy" you've still got modified training routines and you're doing certain exercises to compensate for the damage to your soft tissues. There may permanently be things you just can't do anymore that you used to be able to do, movements that will never be as crisp or explosive as they once were, etc. Hayden's injury won't be like that.

I think it's reasonable to assume that an elite athlete like Hayden will heal faster than normal. You look at how quickly he was able to leave the hospital, how quickly he rebuilt his body. This is not a normal person. None of these guys are normal. But that's as far as it goes, though, "reasonable." You have to assume the worst, especially since I have no idea how "fully" it has to be healed for him to practice or play. Can he go at 80%? Or do you have to wait for 100? What do guys with bruised sternums do to get ready to play? Is there a pad?

I'd like to think somebody has the answer on this but I'm not sure anybody does. It's a singular injury, football-wise. Which makes me think whatever team drafts him is going to be extra cautious.

i don't know...a torn labrum, a knee, a stress fracture, and a hernia are things that have to make you wonder about milliners shelf life to some extent...

Back
Top Bottom