Barry Jackson: Fifteen thoughts on Dolphins’ preseason finale | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Fifteen thoughts on Dolphins’ preseason finale

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
Fifteen thoughts from the Dolphins’ 30-9 preseason victory against the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night in Minneapolis:

• Dolphins first-round pick Charles Harris generated pressure on at least one passing play but again failed to produce tangible statistics.

In limited playing time, he closed with no tackles, leaving him with just two in four preseason games. All in all, it was an underwhelming preseason for a player expected to log at least 25 snaps a game, provided he earns it.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article170629877.html#storylink=cpy

Barry doesn't think we'll keep a sixth WR or a fourth RB. He also thinks Smith and McTyer stick over Pitts, Hendy and Lucas.

Barry doesn't think we'll keep a sixth WR or a fourth RB. He also thinks Smith and McTyer stick over Pitts, Hendy and Lucas.
I agree on the WR front but I think we keep 4 backs. We are only keeping 2 QBs so I wonder what he thinks we are keeping Position wise

Praise-Martin Oguike is a name that Jackson mentioned that we haven't heard much of to this point, that I think looked pretty good last night. A good candidate for the PS, and possibly replace Fede next season. Fede is a ok depth, and a good ST player, but he just isn't athletic enough to get much pressure on the QB.

I could see us looking to get a 4th RB after roster cuts are announced from other teams. No one on our current should have that spot IMHO.

Praise-Martin Oguike is a name that Jackson mentioned that we haven't heard much of to this point, that I think looked pretty good last night. A good candidate for the PS, and possibly replace Fede next season. Fede is a ok depth, and a good ST player, but he just isn't athletic enough to get much pressure on the QB.
The Problem with Oguike is that he's only 6 feet tall and playing DE. I don't see him being anything more than a situational pass rusher.

I pretty much agree with Barry on this one. Nobody really stood out to be the #6WR or the #4 RB. I'm pretty sure we'll look at the cuts for a RB and a LB. Imo Chace Allen made the team and Lacy did not. The big surprise could be us keeping 3 QB? Fales did looked good last night. Maybe he could be traded for a pick?

Ozzy rules!!

I found this really funny - either this guy is dumb as a box of rocks or has a great sense of humor:

Speaking of Arizona... Defensive lineman Okoye, who lost his job with the Cardinals last year after parking in coach Bruce Arians’ spot, had a sack and three quarterback hits, but this was too little, too late as far as his roster chances.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article170629877.html#storylink=cpy

I found this really funny - either this guy is dumb as a box of rocks or has a great sense of humor:

Speaking of Arizona... Defensive lineman Okoye, who lost his job with the Cardinals last year after parking in coach Bruce Arians’ spot, had a sack and three quarterback hits, but this was too little, too late as far as his roster chances.

I've yet to meet Coach Arians but he sure seems like a prick. What if that were Peterson, Fitz, Palmer, or David Johnson lol Unless Okoye meant it, that's an arrogant reason to say see ya bud!!

I've yet to meet Coach Arians but he sure seems like a prick.

Arians is the ****ing man. He is an awesome HC and lends himself to all the players. After every single home game win or lose he throws a tailgate out of the back of his vehicle for the players in the team parking lot.

There has to be way more to that Okoye release than simply taking his parking place.

Last edited:
The two most worthy of the 53 udfas are Maurice smith and the Uva kid. Maurice smith had an excellent philly game. He's the best looking udfa in the building. After him it's the Uva kid who needs better short area lateral quickness in pass pro.

Jake brendel and Maurice smith are the two Undrafted guys I'd be most willing to play with. Brendel is solid looking pouncey insurance. Miamis use of him yesterday tells me that they can say they think pouncey will make 16 games the actions tell me different. Brendel is the starting pivot the following week if pouncey goes down.

Probably gonna lean on steen as the starting left guard to start the season. He's just more consistent on a snap by snap basis at left guard than Jesse Davis is who needs to get better in line. But Steens meh no matter where he plays and lacks upside.

But in game Steen can play the pivot which is why I think they will activate steen and Jesse Davis plus Sam young.

The reason brendel isn't active out the gate is cause he only plays the pivot.

The toughest decision is no longer Maurice smith it's Tory mctyer

Last edited:
I think the Turks coming for Jordan Lucas. Sorry bud but the olive branch has run out.

Will this team cut Hewitt? We will see. But lb attrition probably means the Allen kid is safe. Not as safe as Deon lacy though.

Mike hull gets an olive branch in 2017. They sat him cause they aren't even sure mauluga will go week 1. If he can't that helps chase allen

Keep 10 on the oline plus Larsen who counts against our 53 so 11 total. Larsen comes back steen becomes prime candidate for release.

Asiata lacks foot speed. Good feet but slow as heck. 2 deep right guard though for now at least. Not a lot of thump on this interior oline

Drew morgan either 6th wr or p squad with potential for a call up if we get a slot injury. Although I think Miami would try to run packages with a flex tight end etc more before they would call him up. 6th wr is either him or no one. I'm gonna say he's cut and put on the p squad.

Storm johnson is an obvious cut it's either Perry or 4th rb comes off waivers.

And just call Kenyan drake east west. He bounces everything. This isn't college boss

We need someone who can run inside the tackles something fierce as Ajayi insurance

If mauluga can't go week 1 conditioning wise wouldn't surprise me if he's the surprise cut tomorrow and Miami rolls into week 1 with trash at mike.

If they know he can't go they may well cut him. Maybe resign him after week 1

Hull plays tiny at mike but he's in better standing than anything else.

If mauluga can't go week 1 conditioning wise wouldn't surprise me if he's the surprise cut tomorrow and Miami rolls into week 1 with trash at mike.

If they know he can't go they may well cut him. Maybe resign him after week 1

Hull plays tiny at mike but he's in better standing than anything else.

I think that is exactly what happens. Cut Rey tomorrow and we bring him back after week 1 . . . And he takes that deal everytime because he knows the MLB position is his for the taking and if he ever thought about one last final contract this is his shot.

Hell I am pretty confident in that happening tbh.

Back
Top Bottom