Barry Jackson: Garrard outplaying Moore and Tannehill | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Garrard outplaying Moore and Tannehill

Its otas people. Relax. Im sure philbin is saving tannenhill for actual training camp. The real battle is in training camp, this crap here is smokescreen.

The honesty of the situation is clear, you have a rookie and career backup being out played by a starter. I see no reason why this should be a shock at all.

Still a lot of preseason and football before game 1 in 2012 so anything could happen.

Me neither...a healty Garrard is >>>> than Moore. That said, either way I don't want to see Tanny in the starting lineup unless its a blowout game. I think the fact that he has a probowl QB in Garrard ahead of him, and a not so bad QB in Matt Moore ahead of him says that the team will bring him along slowly hopefully.

Dude was a Pro Bowler in 2010. Sounds pretty good to me.

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Its otas people. Relax. Im sure philbin is saving tannenhill for actual training camp. The real battle is in training camp, this crap here is smokescreen.

Seriously, Garrard was a Pro Bowler ikn 2010 and then got hurt in 2011. What did you expect, him to not make a strong push to start this year. Dude is a good player.

If we are going strictly off ability and playing history, I think we all would agree that Garrard should be the guy. The only question is his back. How long will it hold up? One hit and done? Or is it healthy enough to make it through 16 games? Backs are a funny thing. Sometimes they never fully recover.

Moore was the second best divisional QB going forward from game 8 under trying conditions. I've said all along that we're in decent - good shape with a confident Moore under center, BUT if Garrard can unseat him in a fair TC competition, then in effect, we've upgraded the position even beyond that. And I'm fine with it.

In either event, color me relieved that if whichever the starter is who goes down, there'll be no robotic, locked-on primary receiver, slow-reacting, interception-waiting-to-happen Henne being pressed into action.

Wasn't Garrard the the guy with a very low amount of interceptions? Trying to remember...

Wasn't Garrard the the guy with a very low amount of interceptions? Trying to remember...

Yes, only 54 picks in 76 games started and a 2.4 Int percentage.
By comparison Tom Brady has 115 picks in 159 games started and a 2.2 Int percentage.

Not saying Garrard is Brady but he is smart with throwing to the right place.

Yes, only 54 picks in 76 games started and a 2.4 Int percentage.
By comparison Tom Brady has 115 picks in 159 games started and a 2.2 Int percentage.

Not saying Garrard is Brady but he is smart with throwing to the right place.

He also doesn't throw a lot of TD's. In his 5 years as a starter he had 10, 18, 15, 15, and 23 TD's he only started all 16 games twice though and those were the seasons he threw for 15 td's each season. Garrard is a caretaker QB, he's not going to make a lot of mistakes but he's not going to light up the scoreboard either. He's basically Chad Pennington with a stronger arm but slightly less accurate. We can win with this type of QB though if the D shows up and our running game is effective. If both of those things happen and Garrard remains healthy we will no doubt be in the playoff race this season.

He also doesn't throw a lot of TD's. In his 5 years as a starter he had 10, 18, 15, 15, and 23 TD's he only started all 16 games twice

The Jags philosophy was to pound the football. In those 5 years the Jags were 2nd, 4th, 10th 6th and 9th in rushing TD's. Doesn't give your QB alot of opportunity to put up big TD numbers when you can just hand it off and get the TD the easy low risk way. 2 of those 5 years the Jags were in the top 10 in scoring offense. He can get it done as long as he has some help.

In 2010 he was posied to lead them to playoffs at 8-5. Then Jones-Drew goes down for the season and 3 straight losses to end the season and possible his career. You gotta know he really want s it. But he needs help. He not the type of QB to carry the team on his back.

Ive been saying it all off season, moore sucks and the only way garrad doesn't beat him out is if he's hurt. Now I'll be disappointed if Tannehill doesn't beat them out because of how high a pick we used on him. That kind of investment should be better than a career back up in moore right out of the gate but garrad I'd be a little more comfortable starting in front of tannehill.

Ive been saying it all off season, moore sucks and the only way garrad doesn't beat him out is if he's hurt. Now I'll be disappointed if Tannehill doesn't beat them out because of how high a pick we used on him. That kind of investment should be better than a career back up in moore right out of the gate but garrad I'd be a little more comfortable starting in front of tannehill.

If Tannenhill beats out either one I wouldn't expect the loser to be on the roster come September.

Back
Top Bottom