Barry Jackson Notes: Future of the Cap, Pre Training Camp Notes, RT and Pennington | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Notes: Future of the Cap, Pre Training Camp Notes, RT and Pennington

Pennington was a great leader...I liked the mentoring aspect in that regard. Wallace made a comment on the Finsiders that other guys said that Tannehill had improved as a leader this year. Wallace said something like he wouldn't know since he wasn't here last year, but Tanne was a good leader this year.

I'd like to see Tanne really take the reigns, take charge and really have a kick ass attitude this year like it's his team. You need that amongst players too, not just coaches.

I would definitely shop Matt Moore next offseason for a draft pick. If they can get a 4th or 5th round pick for him you have to pull the trigger and can elevate Devlin to the #2 in 2014. Then they can use a mid round pick on a developmental quarterback that will have a cheap contract for four years.

the problem in trade will be that cap # though...$5.5 mil someones gonna want to be paying that to at least a stop gap starter...and i would be willing to bet that if anyones interested in trading for moore they will be doing so with the idea of giving him stiff competition for the starting job either in the draft or with another vet...so that cap number makes it difficult...

although i would absolutely explore it...

Two parts to the equation as far as Chad P being QB coach, does he want to invest that level of time ? I believe he has kids and may want to be available for them.

He may want to be around for his kids but I will say this much: when Chad was a Jet, he owned a house about 10 minutes from me. Once in a while you would see him around town. He used to shop in a store my uncle worked at. This guy LOVES football. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a coach some day. He might wait a few years until the kids get older, this much is probably true, but this guy will be a coach, and a damn good one IMO.

this team doesn't need chad pennington either...tanny is just fine with his current qb coach...penningtons mindset is a litte different at qb given his physical limitations...tannehill doesn't have those limitations in fact he's terrific outside the numbers to the farthest parts of the field...

not a fan of bringing in penny as a staff mentor/qb coach...everything tannehill needs to learn now is on the field and in the film study...and he's plenty capable and smart enough...

pass...

There was a rumor that Starks coasted the last half of 2012 to protect himself from injury in a contract year. Maybe it was the double teams but if true, combined with skipping the OTA's and his displeasure with "only" making $8 million this year would make me hesitate to sign him long term. I understand business is business but I wonder about his motivation. Everything considered, I would keep Soliai over Starks.
Of all the pending free agents, I would only extend Soliai, Jones and maybe Misi.

As we discussed a while ago, our 2014 cap is in god shape. I believe it is better than what Barry has written. We start out with around $20M. Patterson and/0r Marshall would add $5-10M more. It is possible that we could get rid of both by next year. Carp is around another $3M this year.

I'm thinking that the cap will go up $5M next year, due to the TV revenue increase. I agree with Hoops on Moore and his $5M being gone, maybe during the season depending on injuries. Also, Wallace's $17M hit next year can easily be re-done if need be to cut another $5M.

Potentially, the above can add $28M to our existing $20M, and easily done.

DT is a big question. IF we want to use Jordan as a Joker, we need a NT. IF he is a DE, not as important. One would think that we will keep Starks or Soliai but, I could see signing someone new, depending on this year's play.

UK adds o VG point on Grimes, who was not mentioned. If he comes back to form, I'm all in for keeping him, and we will be able to afford him.

The interesting thing next year will be Grimes.

Soliai and Odrick will be kept at DT, Misi will get a deal, Jones will get a team friendly deal or get tagged and Clemmons will either be signed or we will draft someone. Keller, well we shall see how he performs and see how healthy he is, his contract shouldn't be an issue if we want an extension. Patterson, Marshall and Carpenter could all be cut to add even more room to pass over to next year so im not concerned about any of these deals.

If Grimes comes back the player he was before he was injured... he will need a big contract and we would be mad to let him go. That deal could be very interesting

I was wondering the same thing too. Grimes was "missing" from the article. Is the plan for Davis and Taylor to take over in 14? I would think if Grimes has a big year, he is the most vital FA. That is why I would like to sign Jones longterm and have the franchise tag in the back pocket to use to bring back Grimes for another year.

best part of al that was how Binns said "show Ryan who the real binns is." NOt the coach, not the GM not anyone else but our FRANCHISE QB. Shows the respect and understanding of who RT17 is.

That was like reading an article about the Colts with Manning or Brady with NE the past 10 years.

Can this really be happening? Miami taking over once again? Jeez gotta hold my excitement back.

$5.5 mil against the cap in 2014 for a backup qb like moore is too much...they either need to restructure that or let him walk provided tannehill shows the development i expect...way too much
You can invest in a quality back up like Moore when, like you said below, the starter makes so little. He can play at that number if he is still of quality. If a #3 emerges somehow this summer, than maybe you can let Moore go, but going "light" at Qb is a silly and potentially season killing idea.

penciling in dion jordan as a starting every down de in 2014 is awfully rich...i hope he weighs at least 260 by then at that height...i would still think olivier vernon will have the early down edge...2015 i can see it...
Jordan better be ready to compete for a starter's job by next year. However, too many people are discounting OV as viable option on this team. OV made plays on special teams last year and many times that is a trend to continue on the defensive side of the ball with more experience.

odrick moving back to permanent dt is a no brainer...i bet they let starks, keller, incog, and maybe clemons go after this season...if grimes stays healthy i think he's a guy retained on a year to year basis...30 plus year old corners who have had acchilles recently don't break the bank
I agree here. I think Soliai should be the target of the two DT's. Odrick is similar to Starks in body type. Give me the big man to eat up blocks inside.

miami has to seriously consider losing that dmitri patterson cap #...either approach him with a cut or let him go but i bet it depends on how the rookie cbs show in training camp...no use doing anything now...see how it plays out
Agree. I will keep saying this: I do not think fans realize how much the FO likes Patterson. However, I agree that we should go thru training camp and see if he balls. If he does, his cap number is a treat. With that said, he has to be willing to take a cut this summer. He will never find that money on the open market.

carpenters got one foot out the door already...if it's close to even it's over...they'll move on and roll with the cap savings with sturgis...
Sturgis will be the kicker unless he pukes in his mouth all summer.

tannehill dirt cheap on this rookie contract...dirt cheap...2 years from now he'll be getting a $80 plus million dollar one from us so plan ahead cap wise
Let's hope RT is getting a big money deal. If he does, it means he is playing well. If he is not getting a big deal, it means the team failed again QB.

I was wondering the same thing too. Grimes was "missing" from the article. Is the plan for Davis and Taylor to take over in 14? I would think if Grimes has a big year, he is the most vital FA. That is why I would like to sign Jones longterm and have the franchise tag in the back pocket to use to bring back Grimes for another year.

Completely agree. IF Grimes is what he was, money and talent wise, would you trade off Patterson and Marshall (around $10M) for him? Should take a heartbeat to answer. :)

this team doesn't need chad pennington either...tanny is just fine with his current qb coach...penningtons mindset is a litte different at qb given his physical limitations...tannehill doesn't have those limitations in fact he's terrific outside the numbers to the farthest parts of the field...

not a fan of bringing in penny as a staff mentor/qb coach...everything tannehill needs to learn now is on the field and in the film study...and he's plenty capable and smart enough...

pass...

A young QB like Tannehill can pick up a ton from one the smartest QB's of his era. It is not like RT will get ****ed up by this. What we have to love is RT's willingness to learn. Great to see.

Matt Moore's contract structure makes me think they are going to get 1 season out of him, and then try to trade him to a team desperate for a stop gap QB.

restructuring mike wallace contract in year 2 given the guaranteed money already in the deal and the terms of the deal ie $17 mil against the cap in 2014 means adding even more future liability...when you restructure you lesson your short term cap impact but you add on to your long term one...no matter what miami does they are not getting away from that $30 mil guaranteed at some point you pay the piper...in our case it begins in 2014 it is not a smart play to restructure that contract in year 2 there's enough liability in that contract already...

as for the not smart to let matt moore thing go ie a solid backup given the cap # take a look around the rest of the league...if aarond rodgers goes down they got a guy making rookie money pretty much behind him you'll find most the high end qbs around the league have dirt cheap backup options...the ones that don't primarily have nothing special as their incumbent starter...and for the most part if your starting qb goes down in this league barring a unknown quantity taking his place you are done anyways for that season...miami is no exception and matt moore's not an unknown quantity...

restructuring mike wallace contract in year 2 given the guaranteed money already in the deal and the terms of the deal ie $17 mil against the cap in 2014 means adding even more future liability...when you restructure you lesson your short term cap impact but you add on to your long term one...no matter what miami does they are not getting away from that $30 mil guaranteed at some point you pay the piper...in our case it begins in 2014 it is not a smart play to restructure that contract in year 2 there's enough liability in that contract already...

as for the not smart to let matt moore thing go ie a solid backup given the cap # take a look around the rest of the league...if aarond rodgers goes down they got a guy making rookie money pretty much behind him you'll find most the high end qbs around the league have dirt cheap backup options...the ones that don't primarily have nothing special as their incumbent starter...and for the most part if your starting qb goes down in this league barring a unknown quantity taking his place you are done anyways for that season...miami is no exception and matt moore's not an unknown quantity...

Wallace got an $11M signing bonus which counts $2,2M for each of his 5 year contract. His salaries are $1M this year guaranteed, $15M in 2014 guaranteed, $9.85M in 2015 with $3M guaranteed, and $11.45 in 2016 and 2017. We could, for example, move $5M guaranteed from next year to 2015, and spread out his $5M lost salary with a little incentive if need be.

We would save $4M on Moore next year. The other $1.5 in on his signing bonus. In addition to a trade possible trade, we could also re-structure and add a year for a cheaper deal in 2014.

The new TV revenue is a HUGE deal. The cap is going to go up, just a matter of if it's going to be gradual or a big jump. We won't know until next year, and it will make a difference.

I'm just pointing out options available, along with Marshall and Patterson. We may not want to or, need to make any of these moves but, they are there for us.

Back
Top Bottom