Barry Jackson: Quick Hits on Visits (DT's) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Quick Hits on Visits (DT's)

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

I think it should not surprise the fans if the Fins go DT in round one. There was buzz last year that they would take Fletcher Cox if Tannehill was gone. Plus, DT is one the hardest positions to learn in the NFL. Richardson or Lotulelei could learn the game for a year and become a starter.

I did not think early on that Star would be there at 12, but since the combine I think there is a chance. I liked how he was everyone's "best player" during the year and through over evaluations he has fallen some. I think if he falls by Philly he could be there. Det, Cle, Az, Buf and the NYJ I do not think would take him. Would Ten? Maybe. SD has to go offensive line.

Maybe Lotulelei should be talked about more as the pick.

My predictions have been a trade up, Vaccaro or Eifert. Maybe Star should be on our radar more. I would love the pick.

The thing about DT's is that there are a lot that have busted in the last decade or so. This draft is deep at that position, so I absolutely am against drafting a DT in the top half of the 1st round. Trading down, mitigating that loss, OK, I understand it ... but I don't like it. We're not playing moneyball. We're not playing a video game to build through free agency. We're building an NFL team. We're not going to improve if we continually let our best trench players leave and simply use the draft to recycle them with rookies who will be let walk away when they reach their prime. That's just plumb dumb.

This team needs to sign at least 1 of Starks/Soliai and move Odrick into the DT rotation where he'll be useful. Drafting a DE next year makes a lot of sense, but drafting a DT this year and as high as #12 doesn't make sense to me. But yes, I'm certain that's something Ireland is seriously considering.

Just think how good Tannehill could make us if he had a full cabinet of weapons like all the other QB's? Cam has Greg Olsen. Luck has Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener. RGIII has Davis, Paulson and Paul. Peyton has Tamme and Joel Dreessen. Brady has Gronkowski and Hernandez. Brees has Jimmy Graham. Rodgers has Jermichael Finley. Ryan has Gonzalez. Romo has Witten. It's rare for a top echelon QB to not have a good TE. Sure, they have good WR's too, but almost all of them have good TE's as well.

IMHO, Keller cannot block, tips off the defense that it's a pass when he's in the game, and is a mediocre receiving target. He's not big enough to be a red zone threat, and he's not as good as the top slot receivers. Sure, he gets down the seam well, but his crazy speed is about the same as Hartline's pedestrian speed ... Keller is just a little thicker physically. When catching in traffic, I'd take Hartline over Keller every time. When asked to always run the right route, I'd take Hartline over Keller every time. Keller is on a 1 year contract for a reason. Unless he shows he's better than the staff thinks, he's not returning.

To me, there is a pick where value and need meet at #12, and his name is Tyler Eifert.

I think your undervaluing Keller. I think under Philbin, Sherman & with Tannehill, his numbers from NY will vastly improve.

Just take into a/c he has had every year in NY, a defensive minded, run first HC, with run first OC's, together with Mark Sanchez throwing the ball.

I dont want a TE. We have Keller, Egnew is only in his 2nd year and when drafted was known to be a project, H-Back in Clay and a traditional FB in Lane.

I like Eifert a lot, but IMO there are other positions I would rather fill. O'line, DE or CB.

If Lotulelei is there, you take him. DT may be deep, but those other guys aren't anywhere near the class of Lotulelei or Floyd. A disruptive DT can singlehandedly disrupt the timing of an offense and have a huge impact on a game.
I'm of the Eifert bandwagon, unless Lotulelei drops into our laps.

Worth noting PFW has Sheldon Richardson as the #1 d-linemen in the draft, including DE's. He's a true impact player. It's not out of the question to take a DT at 12... BPA approach. Would have to trade Solilai or Starks, but doable.

I've been thinking in the back of my mind for last few months that DT would be the pick due to value. Who knows. Find out soon enough though!

I would take Sheldon Richardson DT at #12 if a trade were in place to trade STARKS to KC for Albert. That way we get Richardson and LT Albert out of this draft. Now I am not forced to draft OT with a high pick. Richardson is a good pass rusher and on 3rd down lining him up with ODRICK in the middle improves our pass rush.

I have been pushing Richardson for a while now.

While he is not a DE he does bring pass rush ability and would allow Miami to let Starks go next year and keep Solia.

The only issue is that some feel Richardson might be a bit of a loose cannon and not the kind of guy Philbin likes.

Lotolelei is a beast but I really doubt he slips to 12.

I would be very happy if the phins were able to get Richardson.

Trading Starks for Albert is interesting. Might help both teams and we are talking about similar priced and aged guys.

I do not think either guy will be a bust.

Beautiful. Literally the last position we need is being considered in the first.

I would take Sheldon Richardson DT at #12 if a trade were in place to trade STARKS to KC for Albert. That way we get Richardson and LT Albert out of this draft. Now I am not forced to draft OT with a high pick. Richardson is a good pass rusher and on 3rd down lining him up with ODRICK in the middle improves our pass rush.

Ireland mentioned looking into trading for an OT and KC is contemplating DT with the 1st pick...

Starks and #12 to KC for Albert and #99...KC takes Fisher #1.

Agree with no RB in the 1st...positional value has really changed for RB's.

Back
Top Bottom