Barry Jackson: Quick OT Update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Quick OT Update

Winston update; UM, UF tip times announced; Fins book more draft visits; Heat, Canes

The Sunday buzz column is below. First, two quick late Sunday night updates:

1) Agent Drew Rosenhaus said on his weekly WSVN-7 segment that free agent offensive tackle Eric Winston "would really like to play" for the Dolphins and that the Dolphins have interest, but that the situation is "fluid." But the Dolphins have had a week to strike a deal since he visited and so far have not.

The Dolphins, as of Saturday, had not shown any interest in free agent Bryant McKinnie, who also has expressed interest in the Dolphins. Miami also has considered a trade for Kansas City tackle Branden Albert.

2) UM's Sweet 16 game against Marquette was set for 7:15 p.m. Thursday on CBS, with Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery announcing. Florida's regional semifinal game against Florida Gulf Coast is scheduled for approximately 10 p.m. Friday on TBS, with Marv Albert and Steve Kerr announcing.

############################################################################

SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

A six pack of Dolphins notes:

### Though it might not necessarily be the best fit with Miami’s pick at No. 12, the Dolphins want to add defensive backs in next month’s NFL Draft and have begun quietly reaching out to several.

According to sources, the Dolphins have booked the draft’s best safety, Texas’ Kenny Vaccaro, to visit team headquarters and are working on bringing FSU cornerback Xavier Rhodes here, too. The Dolphins like several corners in the draft, including Oregon State’s Jordan Poyer.

And here’s a sleeper alert: According to an Arkansas State source, the Dolphins have spent a lot of time with explosive under-the-radar safety/corner Don Jones – the Patriots also like him – and are summoning him to Davie to meet with team executives. Jones, a great athlete with good speed, could go in the mid-to-late rounds.

A defensive back might not make sense at 12 if Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner is long gone, as expected, by Miami’s pick. Mel Kiper projects Vaccaro to go 16th, noting he’s “sound in coverage, takes great angles, makes very good reads.” But safety isn’t a huge need, and he had just five career interceptions.

Draftinsider.net's Tony Pauline said No. 12 would be too high for Rhodes, and he’s not the perfect scheme fit for Miami because press man is his specialty and the Dolphins will play some zone.

Besides Milliner, Kiper has only two other first-round corners: Rhodes 29th and Washington’s Desmond Trufant 28th. Todd McShay has Rhodes 28th and Connecticut’s Blidi Wreh-Wilson 29th.

### If Miami waits until picks 42 or 54 for a cornerback, Pauline sees five possible options: Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks (“problem is he’s a liability down the field, because of his lack of speed”); perhaps Wreh-Wilson (decent chance he will be gone by 42; “great cover skills but a lot of injuries the past two years”); Boise State’s 5-11 Jamar Taylor (“underrated, could go earlier than 42”); Virginia Tech’s Logan Ryan (speed a question); and Poyer.

Other evaluators also would include in that group Mississippi State’s Darius Slay (fastest defensive back at the Combine) and San Diego State’s Leon McFadden, who’s also fast but at 5-10 struggles sometimes against bigger, more physical receivers.

Southeast Louisiana’s Robert Alford, Utah State’s Will Davis, Connecticut’s Dwayne Gratz, and William & Mary’s B.W. Webb could be Miami options at 77 or 82, if they’re still available. So might North Carolina State’s David Amerson, who had 13 interceptions in 2011 but “was beaten far too much last season,” Kiper said. Some have UM’s Brandon McGee in the third/fourth round range, some later.

The cornerback class overall “looks deeper now, with Trufant, Rhodes and a handful of others running well to back up the tape,” Kiper said.

What about former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, a 2011 All-American and Heisman Trophy finalist who was kicked off LSU’s team before last season (reportedly for failed drug tests) and later arrested for marijuana possession?

Miami hasn’t shown interest so far, and Kiper said he’s a fourth- or fifth-round pick. “He’s not a great cover guy,” Kiper said. “But day three is when you roll the dice on him. He can help your defense and special teams.”

### The Dolphins are showing considerable interest in North Carolina and former St. Thomas Aquinas running back Giovani Bernard, who spent five hours at Dolphins headquarters Thursday. Bernard, an option for Miami’s picks at 42 and 54, had 1228 rushing yards (6.7 per carry), 490 receiving yards and two punt returns for touchdowns in 2012.

Miami also will do a private workout with Clemson’s Andre Ellington, another potential second-round back. The Dolphins want a back that can compete with Daniel Thomas for carries behind likely starter Lamar Miller, who “impressed us,” Philbin said because he’s “instinctive” and has “explosiveness.”

### We hear that after being badly outbid by St. Louis for Jared Cook, Miami made a late run at Martellus Bennett, but the Bears offered him a bit more. The Dolphins then signed Dustin Keller.

They love Keller’s receiving skills, but Joe Philbin admitted “we have to work with him” on blocking. Philbin said “we are going to keep looking” for tight ends. Miami prefers to add a skilled blocker to the Keller/Charles Clay/Michael Egnew troika, with Cincinnati mid-rounder Travis Kelce among those drawing Dolphins interest.

### Quarterback has gone from a liability to an asset in luring free agents. New Dolphins receiver Brandon Gibson said of Ryan Tannehill: “I’ve watched tons of film and think he’s going to be one of the better young quarterbacks in the NFL. He’s got a big arm, very intelligent.” Said Keller: “Very impressed with him. Like his game a lot.”

### Philbin said the Dolphins studied every catch and drop by Mike Wallace the past two years and suggests people sell him short if they view him as just a deep threat.

### Besides pursuing cornerback Brent Grimes, the Dolphins also made an inquiry on Tracy Porter, an associate said. But they’ve so far stayed away from mid-30s vets like Antoine Winfield.

### Philbin said the Dolphins believe new linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler “might be able to make a couple more impactful plays” than Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett. Meanwhile, the Dolphins internally have discussed the possibility of playing Koa Misi at middle linebacker, though Ellerbe still could end up there.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

I'm not sure but something in my gut tells me Miami is sold on their existing tackles, like Yeatman, and may draft one in round 3. Don't know if there is enough difference between Winston and Yearman to justify the big difference in money for each one. Now they could very well draft OG in round 1 if Cooper is there when they pick.

Yeatman? Seriously. Absolutely reckless.

Yeatman? Seriously. Absolutely reckless.

Reckless is kinda harsh don't you think :brewskis: Hey I'm just a fan with no inside observations just what I see and read. I feel the staff likes him. He has the size and athletic ability just don't know about his ability to be a full time RT yet. My personal feeling is they like him well enough to draft OG in round 1 if Cooper is there at 12 and then draft a RT in round 3 or later.

Hayden wasnt a big Philbin guy originally. So why should he have faith in his pet project? I say, dont bet against it. It has been done in the NFL a few times. He was given all season to do his remake and you know damn well he has been working hard at it. Then we will have the Bi-rep camp where he will get a lot of reps. And if he shines, he gets to prove his HC right, which means he may end up starting. It could be very well the reason why we hesitate on Winston and the money spent.

We are drafting a T one way or the other because we are looking for depth for years out. Somebody like Quessenberry. A guy who could be around til our first 5th rounder and who can slide into G as well.

When the Fins trade for Brandon Albert, trade up for Lane Johnson or sign Eric Winston, all the Yeatman posters can apologize to me.

It is totally reckless to protect your second year, possible franchise signal caller and all the new weapons you brought in by STARTING Will Yeatman on the edge. I have no problem with him as a continued project. I have no issue with him being giving ample PT in the preseason that maybe he could be elevated on game day to the swing guy. However, to think he should be penciled in as the starter is totally a stupid idea.

I laughed at this quote:

If Miami waits until picks 42 or 54 for a cornerback, Pauline sees five possible options: Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks (“problem is he’s a liability down the field, because of his lack of speed

The main issue with a cornerback, is being a "liability" deep due to "lack of speed"? Isn't that a corner's bread and butter? Lol. What good is a corner if he can't cover deep because of something like speed, of which in un-teachable? I'm still laughing at that scouting report.

Back
Top Bottom