Barry Jackson: Some FA Notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Some FA Notes

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

### Though we hear the Dolphins would like to keep Reggie Bush andSean Smith at the right price, as of Tuesday they had not reached out to their representatives, let alone made an offer – different from their approach with Brian Hartline and Jake Long, who rejected in-season offers and are awaiting new ones.### We hear the Dolphins’ new logo will be different and more creative than the one circulating on line. ### Even though Jonathan Martin showed promise, no NFL tackle allowed more quarterback hurries than Martin’s 47. And please don’t suggest that the Dolphins’ play at left tackle didn’t suffer without Long.Long allowed four sacks and 10 hurries in 11-plus games. Martin allowed three sacks and 17 hurries in just under five games at left tackle, and Pro Football Focus graded Martin’s work clearly lower than Long’s. So Miami will make another attempt to keep Long, though not at the dollar figure he ideally wants.### Some have asked if the Dolphins will get compensation if they lose Long or other unrestricted free agents. Potentially -- depending on who the Dolphins sign from other teams -- but the compensation wouldn’t come until the 2014 draft.The NFL says a team losing “more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory picks,” but no more than four. The NFL uses a complex formula to determine compensatory-worthy free agents, based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.For perspective, Oakland got three extra picks last year (third, fourth and fifth) after losing Nnamdi Asomugha and others in 2010. Most picks are in the fourth through seventh rounds, so that’s what Miami could expect if it loses more impact free agents than it adds from other teams.And keep in mind that three teams got extra picks last year simply by losing better free agents than they signed, even though there was no net loss
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

The data on Johnathan Martin is interesting. 17 hurries? That's a lot.

What were Longs rookie sack/hurry numbers? I mean, Martin wasn't drafted to be the LT. An offseason in the weight room and working with staff will improve his performance.

As previously discussed, any compensatory pick would probably be a 7th rounder. Martin definitely needs to improve whether he is on the right or left side

Different logo than the one we have seen? First we have heard of this.

Hopefully this isnt a Marlins esque logo denial, i.e a straight lie.

I find it sad so many losers have claimed to have seen this new logo and all are afraid to confirm or deny whether the one out there is the one they saw. Straight bs artists.

I am not a PFF guy. I still say let Martin get stronger working with an NFL strength and conditioning program throughout the offseason and see what happens.

Martin was god awful and now we realize two thngs IMO.

1. Ireland cant draft for a wco. How do draft a tackle this bad in tje 2nd rnd?

2. We have one good olineman going into next season. Martin sucks, long wants a ton of $ and doesn't fit the offense, incog and Jerry definitely don't fit the mold of a guard.

Oline woes continue.

The kind of strength Martin needs cant be aquired in just one offseason in the weight room. You arent going to double your strength in 6 months.

As far as Jake Long goes, this is the first time I have heard that he was offered a contract mid-season. Too bad Barry Jackson doesnt say what his source is.

What were Longs rookie sack/hurry numbers? I mean, Martin wasn't drafted to be the LT. An offseason in the weight room and working with staff will improve his performance.

Long was Probowler IMO, not in favor or against keeping Long, just a fact, we do not know if Martin can be good at LT, there are question marks and that is not good for a team with already some questions around.

The kind of strength Martin needs cant be aquired in just one offseason in the weight room. You arent going to double your strength in 6 months.

As far as Jake Long goes, this is the first time I have heard that he was offered a contract mid-season. Too bad Barry Jackson doesnt say what his source is.

Who said he had to "double his strength". He can make a ton of gains in one offseason. It is not just physical training, but improving his technique on the field. I think Martin can be solid next year.

You really think he needs to DOUBLE his strength?

Martin was god awful and now we realize two thngs IMO.

1. Ireland cant draft for a wco. How do draft a tackle this bad in tje 2nd rnd?

2. We have one good olineman going into next season. Martin sucks, long wants a ton of $ and doesn't fit the offense, incog and Jerry definitely don't fit the mold of a guard.

Oline woes continue.

Come on dude the sky isn't falling! You're comparing a rookies numbers being thrown in the fire and bounced from one side of the line to the other to a number 1 overall picked LT in jake long. Give the kid some time to develop for ****s sake!

To be honest, it seems like Tannehill was being hurry in every other throw so the whole oline was allowing a lot of pressures. Every time I hear or see how bad the oline played it gets me thinking about the so much money and picks that has been spent on the oline and they still sucked this season.

Ozzy rules!!

Come on dude the sky isn't falling! You're comparing a rookies numbers being thrown in the fire and bounced from one side of the line to the other to a number 1 overall picked LT in jake long. Give the kid some time to develop for ****s sake!

Well, just remember that Long didn't allow that many sacks or hurries in his rookie year. I'm willing to give Martin time as I have no choice anyway but he played LT in college. That's his natural position so I'd expect him to make great progress in 2013 if he stays at LT.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom