Barry Jackson Sports Buzz: 13 analysts weigh in on Dolphins 1st round pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Sports Buzz: 13 analysts weigh in on Dolphins 1st round pick

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sporting News analyst Russ Lande: He said he would take Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller if available, even ahead of Martin.

“Fuller is the best cornerback in this draft and it’s hard to find big cornerbacks who are athletic and excel in coverage.” If Fuller and Martin are off the board, Lande said he would take UCLA guard Xavier Sua-Filo.

We're told the Dolphins' shifting of Koa Misi to middle linebacker remains a decent possibility (though not definite), and Misi has voiced no objections, contrary to a published report.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...ns-heat-um-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

After Mosely, Kiper mentions pass-rushers and corners? Hello Mel, you're talking about Miami, right?

After Mosely, Kiper mentions pass-rushers and corners? Hello Mel, you're talking about Miami, right?
He starts off by stating that the O-linemen that may be available at 19 are a reach for him.

I have no problem if they take Fuller. We'd be set at CB for a few years, especially if Taylor develops.

He starts off by stating that the O-linemen that may be available at 19 are a reach for him.
I can see his reasoning there, but TE, LB, RB even Safety comes before DB or pass-rusher for me

I have no problem if they take Fuller. We'd be set at CB for a few years, especially if Taylor develops.

Especially after taking CBs in rds 2-3 last year my preference is OL and WR in the first two rounds, the question is which position first. I've been watching more film of Ju'Wuan James and while nothing strikes me about him as being great, the guy is a good all around OT, good feet and he can move some bodies at the LOS. I could see a trade up from #50 to secure him in the 2nd rd. Still a fan of Brandin Cooks or Kouandjio at #19, best course of action if possible is a trade down imo.

I can see his reasoning there, but TE, LB, RB even Safety comes before DB or pass-rusher for me

Pass rusher, I agree. I do not agree with CB. Outside of Grimes, we don't have anything close to a sure thing, and even with Grimes, we only have a couple more years left with him at this level. CB should absolutely be under consideration. RB should never be picked in the 1st, especially this year, so that's not an issue.

Moses would be a reach. I think it has to be fuller or cooks. Zach Martin if he drops is a lock though

Pass rusher, I agree. I do not agree with CB. Outside of Grimes, we don't have anything close to a sure thing, and even with Grimes, we only have a couple more years left with him at this level. CB should absolutely be under consideration. RB should never be picked in the 1st, especially this year, so that's not an issue.
If an elite CB falls, I would consider him, sure. but Finnegan was signed in free agency and they have 2 higher picks from last year that should contribute. CB and WR are similar situations to me, upgrades would be nice but you're doing it at the expense of other areas and with the guys already in place, you might not get a day one starter. I just think there are several other positions that need immediate attention.
Also, you might be reaching for a tackle at #19, but you should have the top guard available and we need at least one of those

Especially after taking CBs in rds 2-3 last year my preference is OL and WR in the first two rounds, the question is which position first. I've been watching more film of Ju'Wuan James and while nothing strikes me about him as being great, the guy is a good all around OT, good feet and he can move some bodies at the LOS. I could see a trade up from #50 to secure him in the 2nd rd. Still a fan of Brandin Cooks or Kouandjio at #19, best course of action if possible is a trade down imo.

If they feel like the CBs we took in rounds 2 and 3 are players I agree, but what if Hickey feels both of those guys are duds? Then you need another CB as much as you need a WR. It all depends on their evaluation of Taylor and Davis. Both health and talent. The most important thing with the pick at 19 is that you get a player that's is a full time starter and borderline pro bowl player, and a scheme fit as well. Regardless of position. I don't want to reach for an o-tackle just to draft a guy to stick at RT. If he's a player then of course you go RT. But I'd rather take Su'aFilo ( and KNOW I have a vg starter) than some of the tackle prospects they think we might be taking at 19 right now if the top 4 tackles are off the board.

If an elite CB falls, I would consider him, sure. but Finnegan was signed in free agency and they have 2 higher picks from last year that should contribute. CB and WR are similar situations to me, upgrades would be nice but you're doing it at the expense of other areas and with the guys already in place, you might not get a day one starter. I just think there are several other positions that need immediate attention.
Also, you might be reaching for a tackle at #19, but you should have the top guard available and we need at least one of those

Finnegan also had a down year and is 30. Taylor and Davis have 0 experience.

I understand what you're saying about the similarities between CB and WR but I have to disagree. At WR you have for-sure starters, at CB there are questions after Grimes. There's no telling if:
a. Grimes even stays healthy
b. Finnegan returns back to form or even if he's the #2 CB, remember he played in the slot.
c. Davis and Taylor progress enough to start.
If they do draft a CB in the 1st, Fuller or Verrett, they're automatically starting day one while Taylor/Finnegan/Davis battle out for #3.

This is a deep draft class. Teams can possibly find better talent in the 2nd-3rd rounds opposed to the latter half of the 1st.

Finnegan also had a down year and is 30. Taylor and Davis have 0 experience.

I understand what you're saying about the similarities between CB and WR but I have to disagree. At WR you have for-sure starters, at CB there are questions after Grimes. There's no telling if:
a. Grimes even stays healthy
b. Finnegan returns back to form or even if he's the #2 CB, remember he played in the slot.
c. Davis and Taylor progress enough to start.
If they do draft a CB in the 1st, Fuller or Verrett, they're automatically starting day one while Taylor/Finnegan/Davis battle out for #3.

This is a deep draft class. Teams can possibly find better talent in the 2nd-3rd rounds opposed to the latter half of the 1st.

Grimes played all 16 games last year, not sure why you would question his health and really, there is no guarantee anyone on the team stays healthy. Finnegan hasn't played well lately but is a former All-Pro and is definitely in the top 3. Taylor and Davis were drafted just one year ago in rounds 2 and 3. Also, Don Jones is in the mix and flashed some ability. There is a lot invested in the position as it stands.
Again, I would absolutely consider an elite CB or WR that dropped but we saw last year what ignoring big holes can do and we are looking for multiple starters at other positions

Grimes played all 16 games last year, not sure why you would question his health and really, there is no guarantee anyone on the team stays healthy. Finnegan hasn't played well lately but is a former All-Pro and is definitely in the top 3. Taylor and Davis were drafted just one year ago in rounds 2 and 3. Also, Don Jones is in the mix and flashed some ability. There is a lot invested in the position as it stands.
Again, I would absolutely consider an elite CB or WR that dropped but we saw last year what ignoring big holes can do and we are looking for multiple starters at other positions

I would argue that the problem last year wasn't ignoring the big hole. It was not recognizing it. NOBODY wanted us to take a lineman (the popular phrase was "cornfed"). We didn't ignore a hole. We didn't recognize or acknowledge it. If Taylor and Davis cannot play we'd be doing the same thing this year. I'm not saying they aren't any good. That's for Hickey to evaluate. But IMHO we aren't currently stocked with known commodities at CB for the upcoming year or beyond right now so I have no problem with Hickey taking a corner if he has conviction the guy is a starter in this league.

I would argue that the problem last year wasn't ignoring the big hole. It was not recognizing it. NOBODY wanted us to take a lineman (the popular phrase was "cornfed"). We didn't ignore a hole. We didn't recognize or acknowledge it. If Taylor and Davis cannot play we'd be doing the same thing this year. I'm not saying they aren't any good. That's for Hickey to evaluate. But IMHO we aren't currently stocked with known commodities at CB for the upcoming year or beyond right now so I have no problem with Hickey taking a corner if he has conviction the guy is a starter in this league.
fair enough. but let me ask you this:
if you have a choice between Dennard, Su'a-Filo and Martin at #19, do you choose the CB?

We are putting a lot of faith in Finnegan returning to old form, and I don't mean his play from a year ago, I mean his play from at least 3 years ago. Then we have two completely unproven rookies, only one of which I feel has any real promise (Taylor), but still nothing certain. That being said, I agree, I'd only consider one of the top CBs. That's one of the very few "benefits" of being an 8-8 team. There are a lot of ways we could go and improve the team. :lol:

Basically, if my two options at #19 are taking a top CB, WR, or a reach at OT or worse, OG, I'm going with the CB or WR; and then it's just which ever one is higher on my board.

Back
Top Bottom