Barry Jackson Sports Buzz | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Sports Buzz

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is from the very long Mike Mayock interview:

On the Dolphins' first-round pick, he said there’s “no way in the world” Notre Dame offensive tackle Zack Martin “gets close to 19.”

Mayock said “the last first-round tackle I’ve got is Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio. I’ve got him later in my board. He’s the guy they probably have to take at 19. They’ve got to make over that offensive line, and he would be the highest guy left.”
And if not, what else would Mayock consider at 19? “I think a receiver would pique my interest there. At that point, an Odell Beckham [LSU] or Brandin Cooks [Oregon State] you would have to look at those two players and say, 'Is he significantly more highly-rated than Kouandjio is?' And if so, you pull the trigger on a wideout.”

Mayock said of the tackle class: "It's not as deep a tackle run as some people might have you believe. I have four guys in the [second/third round] and then there's a big drop: Joel Bitonio of Nevada, Morgan Moses of Virginia, Jack Mewhort from Ohio State and Ju'Wuan James from Tennessee, who I think is a starting right tackle. Those are the second day guys and then I think there's a significant dropoff."
The Dolphins have spent a lot of time with James and also like Bitonio.
"At first I didn’t like [Virginia’s] Morgan Moses because he’s got average feet," Mayock said. "But sometimes those long right tackles with average feet end up being pretty good players. He’s long, difficult to get around.
“I love Bitonio. Most teams assume he’s a guard. I watched him handle Anthony Barr of UCLA. I watched him against Florida State. I think he can start Day 1 at right tackle.”

He said Clemson receiver Martavis Bryant’s “physical skill set is so awe-inspiring he’s probably going to go in round two. He has some maturity issues that have to be addressed.” The Dolphins brought in Bryant for a visit.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...cts-interesting-offer-heat.html#storylink=cpy

If we draft Kouandjio in the first round then people will think ive been a hickey cheerleader up til this point

If we draft Kouandjio in the first round then people will think ive been a hickey cheerleader up til this point

Koundjio's knee checks out fine- he's a very good player and not that long ago he was considered a solid top 15-20 pick. I'd prefer Martin but I wouldn't have a problem with Koundjio at #19.

Not long ago some considered ryan leaf better than manning.

If we take a tackle it better be after a trade down, I don't even care if the perceived value is poor, just do not take a middle second rounder at 19.

If some team takes Bryant over guys like Robinson and Jordan Matthews they are going to regret it...at least early. Bryant has a crazy high ceiling, I get that. But I personally prefer Robinson and Matthews...I think they are big bodied receivers who actually play physical...RAC...red zone threats. They are everything you are hoping Bryant will become...except Bryant is a freakish athlete with better size.

Back
Top Bottom