bates 10x greater than wannstedt.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinnhedd, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Phinnhedd

Phinnhedd Logic, rarely used on here.

i dont know how many of you out there feel the same way, but i like this bates guy. the excitement he brings to the players on this team speaks volumes. i hope he has the opportunity to have a HC job here in Miami or somewhere, i think a guy like him deserves it. he reminds me of **** vermeil.

2. XxFiN FaNxX

XxFiN FaNxX Phish Phan In Philly

i couldnt agree with you more, this guy brings a swagger, i hope we find a way to keep him even if saban comes

3. Marino1983

Marino1983 Banned Hammered

More like 1000.000.000.000.000X greater !!
    :D

Marino1983

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 FinHeaven Elite

I love his energy, but I think the biggest thing is he is letting his coaches coach! I think Wanny handcuffed them all by making them play his way. The offense has opened up (Trestman??) the O-line has played better ETC...

5. FinzManiac

FinzManiac A True Fan

Damn someone beat me to it.....10x is a HUGE understatement

6. DaFish

DaFish Banned Hammered

I agree that the team just seems to have more energy with Wanny gone. We are actually passing on 1st down and throwing stuff in to throw defenses off a little. I was so tired of seeing Wanny run, run, and more run offense. Good riddance!!! :D

7. yankeehillbilly

yankeehillbilly FinHeaven VIP

A car that is only 10X better than a Yugo still isnt gonna win any races.

Bates is IMMEASURABLY better than Wannabe...and I think Saban is even better still.

8. Surferosa

Surferosa Run to Daylight

[Disclaimer] I think Jim Bates has been solid as an interim HC. I am not Anti-Bates. I repeat, I am not Anti-Bates. :)[/Disclaimer]

Im a bit wary of peoples knee-jerk reactions to Jim Bates. Sure, Bates has been a breath of fresh air, but is he really the answer to all our problems? The last time he was the head coach of any football team was 20 years ago - in the USFL. There were numerous times over the last two years that people were calling for his head after we gave up big leads late in the year.

Its easy to be a fan favorite when you are replacing the most hated coach in team history - however it doesnt mean that you have the necessary credentials to lead the team fulltime. After the roller-coaster-ride that Death Spiral Dave led us on over the last four years, I would be very hesitant to give Jim Bates the job based on a last-gasp victory over the Patriots.

9. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

My questions to Jim Bates would be this:

1. Are you going to show loyalty to the guys that need to be replaced on the offensive staff? I would worry that he may show loyalty to guys like Tony Wise and Chris Foerster and keep them.

Now, my personal opinion of what his answer would be is that he would make changes. I believe he would make Trestman the OC and promote Dellenbach to OL coach. Of course, I really have no basis other than a gut feeling to think that.

2. I'm a little concerned that he let a player twist his arm into going against a decision he had previously made. Why did he let Sammy Knight's fit dictate what he did with Yeremiah Bell? Is this something that would be a one time instance, or is this a potential problem that will come to light down the road? Jim came up with the idea to play Yeremiah Bell 1 quarter at strong safety and 1 quarter at free safety, and he let a veteran player's outburst get to him, changing his mind. One thing I know about Nick Saban is this. That would have never happened under his watch. I'm just concerned that Jim may be a little to buddy, buddy with his players. Not to the extent that Dave was, but enough that it is a sign of concern.

10. FinzManiac

FinzManiac A True Fan

No one said he is god....I just happen to think he is infinitely better than Wannstedt....which he is

11. Surferosa

Surferosa Run to Daylight

Agreed. But a lot of people would rather see Bates coach the Phins over more polished, experienced Coaches. And that is almost entriely based on Monday nights game.

12. Phinadict

Phinadict And away he goes...

I don't think KB21 is comparring Saban (or any other) to god here, but he makes some good points. Bates has ability and attitude, but he needs to start his HC career in a fresh place with fresh faces to MAKE SURE he does not make any loyalty mistakes like Wanny did. It would be too easy for Bates to fall kint othat trap here wit hthe staff he has. the Dolphins offense has been miserable for too many years now. We need fresh faces, fresh attitudes and above all, a fresh playbook sprinkled liberally with taking chances down the field.

Bates may very well be capable of doing it here, but I think it would put us back further than starting fresh.

13. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

I think Bates has done good, but he is playing with house money. The team was already out of the playoffs and doing terrible. Might be a different story when a season is on the line...........

14. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

The offense was miserable Monday night as well. Think about it. The drives Miami had that netted touchdowns were all with a short field. One TD drive was from the 2 yard line. One was from the 20 yard line. Another was from the 40 yard line. Outside of that, Miami had a lot of three and outs. They still don't adjust things to the talent they have offensively. The line is still having problems with the blitz despite those problems happening last year and this being the 14th game of the season.

15. Phinadict

Good point, I hadn't looked at it from that point of view. there is zero pressure on Bates this season. If he were expected to win all these close games, it may be a different story.

16. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

I dont think Bates is better because anyone but wanny would be better. I think Bates is high energy.. but that doesnt mean he is an infinitely awesome coach. i dont think he is the man to rebuild this team.
    I think bates is good coach.. not a great coach.

17. Agua

Agua Fighting the media, one lie at a time

Aside from your "gut feelings" about Trestman and Dellenbach, your post articulates my only concerns about Bates.

18. LOCAL SCUM!

LOCAL SCUM! Banned Hammered

I've heard that towards the end of that game Monday night, Bates had a titty attack when we were trying to run on 3rd and 20 something. ANd that the final 2 drives, they went to Marc Tressman for the play calls. Over riding Collier...a guy who should have never been O coordinator...Another atrocious decision by Wannstedt. I think that was a HUGE factor in why we stunk so much this year. Collier's Wannstedian phillosophy.

19. Canadianfishfan

Another reason Bates should not be head coach. He shouldve made Trestman OC right from the time he took reigns. Sometimes coaches have to make tough decisions. And not worry about friendships.

20. LOCAL SCUM!

Ey...he came in to clean up a huge mess. Things were already in place when he got the control...You can't just put in a whole new playbook in the middle of the season, you know! Either way, he still had the cojones to say enough is enough and call on Marc for his input. Wannstedt would never have done that. You can't hold that against Bates...And by the way...What do you mean "ANother" reason he shouldn't be coach...What's the 1st reason?? Cause this reason is bull.:shakeno:

21. Canadianfishfan

i agree.... Its just a matter of who is calling what from that playbook. Thats the point i was trying to make. My reasons might be bull to you.. but not to me. Collier shouldnt be there. Period.:fire:

22. DaFish

DaFish Banned Hammered

:confused:

23. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

not true the second to last drive was from our own 30 yard line...

i'll admit the offense wasn't great on monday, but thats not the point, the point is bates made key decisions to put us in a position to win the game... no ones gonna come in mid season this year and make us a juggernaut... some changes need to be made and addressed this offseason... the question is could bates make those changes? yes i think so... new o-coordinator, new o-line coach, wed be fie

24. LOCAL SCUM!

Im with u on the Collier thing..HE definately shouldn't be there.

25. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

Collier is the running backs coach. Foerster is the offensive coordinator.

26. LOCAL SCUM!

Right...thanks..WOOPS. Ah...but now that you say it...Collier should't be there either! SOme running back action we have. I know...It's the line..But our runningbacks aren't doing anything to make it any better. Collier was going to be the O-coordinator, but Dave had a brain fart.

27. Phinadict

Dave had a 4 year long brain fart that kept getting more stinky each year.