BCS is shaping up.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BCS is shaping up....

OSUDauby said:
I realize that, but I was just saying that Quinn hasn't really ever been "owned" and he has faced better teams than Florida this year. I just haven't really seen a team "own" Quinn and don't think Florida could do so either. He's just good and that is basically all their is to it.

No one's doubting Quinn's ablility, it was just some friendly smack to DS84. And ND has only played one team on Florida's level this year and they stomped them.

OSUDauby said:
Well, IMO the SOS and Quality Wins factors were the best part of the BCS and they got rid of both of those factors.

I think teams should be judged on their schedules. (SEC teams would benefit this season) And be rewarded for good wins. (Ohio State would be even further ahead with wins over Texas and Michigan in the future).

So in that sense the BCS is a little flawed. I liked it better in the past. But, it's better than a play off. Listen to Kirk Herbstreit, they should do the BCS and a +1 system. That is the answer.

Like have the BCS games, then have a NC after those games play out? because if that's what you mean, I still prefer a playoff, but that would be better than the current BCS.

The BCS +1 system is what Herbstreit and Mark May and all them have been hyping all year. Makes sense really.

i don't like the +1 idea at all. i say either keep it the way it is, or go all out and do a 16 or more team playoff.

The plus one system would have fixed the LSU/Aurburn/USC controvery and the Oregon/Nebraska/Colorado problem as well.

You play the NC Game and then give the two best teams that survive the bowl games duke it out. Say in this instance, Ohio State plays Louisville in the BCS game. Michigan, Florida, Aurburn, etc all have their bowls. You take the winner of the "BCS Championship" game vs. the most impressive, highest ranked team to settle all bets. It's perfect.

Every option has its flaws. There is no perfect answer. The current system clearly has a few issues. The +1 idea makes things hard because it would hard for 2 teams to play 2 such big games in a row. Playoff system would take a huge chunk out of the season and take away the popular bowls for the big teams.

Motion said:
Every option has its flaws. There is no perfect answer. The current system clearly has a few issues. The +1 idea makes things hard because it would hard for 2 teams to play 2 such big games in a row. Playoff system would take a huge chunk out of the season and take away the popular bowls for the big teams.

If it were a 16 team playoff, you could start it one week(if not the same week) before normal bowls start, it would finish about the same time it does now, and you could still use the current bowl sites to host the games.

And you couldn't complain about the college football season being to long really, since they play less games than the pros, and it still wouldn't be as ridiculously long as the baseball season. Why does it go into ****ing October?

Frisches13283 said:
If it were a 16 team playoff, you could start it one week(if not the same week) before normal bowls start, it would finish about the same time it does now, and you could still use the current bowl sites to host the games.

And you couldn't complain about the college football season being to long really, since they play less games than the pros, and it still wouldn't be as ridiculously long as the baseball season. Why does it go into ****ing October?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more College Football. But the big thing you have to remember is these are School Football teams, they have final exams in December. The main reason there is such a break between regular season and bowls.

Motion said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more College Football. But the big thing you have to remember is these are School Football teams, they have final exams in December. The main reason there is such a break between regular season and bowls.

I take that into account. I also take into account many of these players majors. I saw last night some of the WV db's majors were "athletic coaching studies." I realize it's not everyone's major, but all teams would have exams to focus on, so it's not like some teams would get more time than others.

Also, a lot of people work like 30 hour a week jobs(if not more) to pay for thier schooling, and they still have to find a way to focus on exams. So it wouldn't be so much of a unique situation to the athletes.

OSUDauby said:
Ummm, the BCS gives you a match up between the two BEST teams in football. Right now, Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams in football. If the game is close or goes into OT, they are STILL the two best teams in college football. And who has only played 1 quality team?

Teams ranked when game was played:
Ohio State - #2 Texas, #13 Iowa, #22 Penn State, #2 Michigan
Michigan - #? Wisconsin, #4 Notre Dame, #1 Ohio State

I fail to see your point

Penn St and Iowa aren't very good. Penn St won't finished hte season ranked. And Iowa isn't good at all this year.

OSUDauby said:
I'm not saying that I would. But, the BCS says that they will give you the two best teams in the end in a match up. That's it!

We've never had this situation before in the BCS, so relax. It likely will not happen again any time soon. But we have to remember, BEFORE the BCS we rarely saw the two best teams in football square off in the end. The BCS brings that to the table and that is pretty cool.

This is gonna end up like when Oklahoma lgot killed in the Big 12 title game to Colorddo but they still put the Sooners in the championship game.

Bottom line is this.......if Ohio St loses at home you WON'T see a rematch. Because if you lose at home your screwed!!! If Michigan loses a close one on the road to OSU, then you will probably see a rematch!

That's that!

OSUDauby said:
I realize that, but I was just saying that Quinn hasn't really ever been "owned" and he has faced better teams than Florida this year. I just haven't really seen a team "own" Quinn and don't think Florida could do so either. He's just good and that is basically all their is to it.

Quinn was god awful vs GT. I think the longest completion he had all day was for 13 yards!

MikeO said:
Bottom line is this.......if Ohio St loses at home you WON'T see a rematch. Because if you lose at home your screwed!!! If Michigan loses a close one on the road to OSU, then you will probably see a rematch!

That's that!

yep, they were saying the same thing on ESPN radio yesterday.

Motion said:
The BCS +1 system is what Herbstreit and Mark May and all them have been hyping all year. Makes sense really.

NO it doesn't make sense.

Say, Mich beats Ohio St. Say along the road L'ville loses. Now you have only 1 unbeaten team. Mich goes to the BCS bowl, beats Florida for example.

Now you have a + 1 game. Only 1 unbeaten team. Mich already beat ND, Florida, and Ohio St. Why should Mich have to win another game, they clearly are the champs!!!!!

Frisches13283 said:

You will NEVER see a playoff. Because with a playoff that means the Bowls go away. And these bowls have been too good to these college presidents and conferences for over 60 years!!!!!!! The presidents won't ever turn their backs on the bowls.

The day you have a playoff, the bowls go away. IT will never happen. (and baseball is played by PROFESSIONALS) these are college kids playing for "free"

And you can't use the current bowl sites to host games. For example......If your a Michigan fan. In a 16 team tourny that is 4 games. Your telling me the Michigan fans will travel to 4 different sites to watch the team play????? NO CHANCE IN HELL!!! They will wait till the final game and go to that one. One week Michigan is in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta, all the fans will travel there. The following week in San Diego for the Holiday Bowl, all of the fans will pack up 6 days later and travel there. Then the next week to the Orange Bowl in a semi-final, pack up on 6 days notice fly there. Then go where ever for the final game. No normal fans can afford 3 or 4 trips like that to watch their team play.

Not to mention you will give 1 school 4 bowl payouts. While a school who maybe ended the year 9-2 but ranked #17th or #18th and out of the tourney, has NO postseason bowl games and stays at home and collects no money!!! :sidelol: :sidelol: Good luck getting the college presidents to agree to that!

Back
Top Bottom